Hi Folks,

        I'm new to your listserv. I wanted to first introduce myself and then tell you about a very exciting project that will interest you if you are visually impaired or work with people who are visually impaired.  I'm a low vision person myself who prepares teachers of visually impaired children at the University of Arizona.  About 2 years ago I met a man named Steve Landau who owns Touch Graphics Company.    Touch Graphics  has begun work on a sophisticated Authoring Tool that will allow teachers of blind and visually impaired students to create their own talking tactile pictures for the talking tactile tablet, a new computer peripheral device.  The Talking Tactile Tablet, better known as the TTT, is an innovative device that plugs into the USB port of a computer.  With the Authoring Tool software package simple to complex graphics with audio capabilities can be created in just a matter of minutes.
        Under a 2 year grant from the National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services of the United States Department of Education Touch Graphics Company will be giving away 75 TTTs and the Authoring Tool software package.  A contest is being held April 1 to July 31, 2004.  To learn more about the TTT and to enter the contest visit the web site: http://www.ttt-at.com/  We have a demo. of the TTT and Authoring Tool that will show you the power of this new and exciting tool.
        As a person with a visual impairment myself and as someone who prepares teachers, I think the TTT is really going to enhance access to tactile graphics for children and adults with visual impairments.  I'd be happy to share more information with any of you.  Please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]

Penny

L. Penny Rosenblum
University of Arizona
520-621-1223 (office)