Not much to add ;  except that depending on how its supposed to appear I often recommend mineral coating (potassium silicate ) which adds a protective coating ;prevents staining ; or algae growth ;breathes and helps shed water .....lastly I just appreciate to see this site used for what it was intended for ....Py

-----Original Message-----
From: BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
To: BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Nov 12, 2013 2:00 am
Subject: BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Digest - 10 Sep 2013 to 12 Nov 2013 (#2013-14)

Topics of the day:

  1. Concrete's Future
  2. Concrete's Future - OOPS

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or
to change your settings, go to:

Date:    Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:57:03 -0800
From:    Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Concrete's Future

I recently participated in the Soleri Memorial Weekend at Cosanti and Arcosanti,
Paolo Soleri's two personal experimental prototype projects in Arizona.   While
there was much discussion among the 200 Alumni present concerning the future of
the institution and the future use of the facilities, as a museo/restoro/preservo/wood-guy
worker I began to wonder about the long future of the concrete structures
themselves.

Seem to recall "learning" somewhere along the line that modern concrete has a
different chemistry and will not be long lasting like the Roman's concrete.
What is the story there?   Are there any good articles about the life-span
expectation of conventional modern concrete(s) and concrete structures?   Are
there any people working for the long term preservation of modern concrete
structures?

I would appreciate any references regarding preservation of concrete structures
for use in the discussions.

(asking as a friend of a young architect who decided the best thing he could do
for modern architecture was to go into the demolition business, and he did)

cp in bc
(Soleri apprentice - 1961 to 1963)

--