In a message dated 1/26/2014 11:51:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Over the past five years I have seen window replacement costs of $2,800
to $4,500 for double-hungs averaging 32"x62" (sash size), with all
traditionally detailed construction for best work, board framed or boxed
jambs, interior and exterior casing, made in local or regional shops
(NOT high-end national brands most of which is consumer junk designed to
be replaced in 10 to 20 years) of mahogany, or spanish cedar, or
selected old-growth native species, glazed, painted, residential
installed and tuned up, complete (including a round of spot maintenance
and tuning as needed one year after installation).
I have no experience with triple-hungs since the late 1980s, but would
double the figures above for them.

John, ouch!   Could I quote you?  And how to credit you?   "According to John Leeke, who runs Historic Homeworks, a preservation what???, costs for comparable double hung windows reach $4000 each, and perhaps double that for triple hung."

These are also floor-to-ceiling (to permit stepping out).

Makes Jim Hicks look cheap, except for the shop painting job.

Christopher

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html