In a message dated 2/26/2014 10:56:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

You are  correct - generally copper or sheet iron with galvanized coating.
The stamped  ornament (egg and dart, lambs tongues, bosses, etc, is zinc.
You can sometimes  tell if it's galvanized because the galvanic coating will
wear and the iron  begins to rust. Stamped zinc will not rust.
Yes, I remember that, the little doodads all shiny, the iron around it
shot.   Why did they bother stamping in zinc?

On Kitty's  cornice (32 E 64th St. all of the ornament, including lions
heads and  modillions, were of stamped zinc- sometimes using up to a dozen
individual stampings. Check out the WF Norman Co. catalogue  (online)
I am astonished, I always assumed it was such a quality-folk building it
would all be copper.

Dreams die hard.   c