C-

Without seeing the image, if the "point" (working end) of the chisel is splayed, it is more likely a caulking iron -  if he's driving oakum into the joint.

-----Original Message-----
From: 0000018b3978345b-dmarc-request <[log in to unmask]>
To: BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Jul 9, 2014 11:33 am
Subject: [BP] cold chisel   at 100th and Broadway

I got a beefy workman in a 1911 photograph sitting astride a 6' wide sewer line which is being worked on or rerouted.   He looks just like Slim Pickens on the bomb at the end of Strangelove.

I would describe what he is holding as a cold chisel and mallet, without really knowing what a cold chisel is.  He is seating right at a joint in the pipe.    Perhaps he was pushing lead (or oakum?) into the joint?    If so, would the tool he used really be a "cold chisel"?

Christopher

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and theuncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to:http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html