Yes, it's me again, and my white whale - the white brick apartment houses of the 1950s, which are actually made with black specks introduced into the glaze.

I have now a Hanley brick catalogue saying the introduction of the little black specks is "attention getting."   But, looking at two adjacent buildings, 200 East 66th (Manhattan House, pure white) and 201 East 66th (typical 1950s building, with speckles) I cannot see a dime's worth of difference, from more than 5 feet away..

Anyone care to venture a guess on the aesthetic value of the little specks?

Christopher

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html