Pretty sure it is related to conservation. It provided a way to scaffold up to maintain the building. If I’m right, who’s idea was it (probably the trades people who were responsible for maintenance), and why don’t we do it (maintain?) today?

My first guess is modern equipment that allows access.

Rude E
Helping put the *Shine* on HP