I haven’t listened to it yet, since learning about the standard Gmail interface isn’t high on my list, but a recent training podcast from Freedom Scientific dealt with using the Gmail standard interface. I’m not sure what screen reader you’re using, but I’d assume most of the content would be screen reader independent.

--

Christopher (AKA CJ) =>÷

Chaltain at Outlook, USA

From: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Catherine Getchell
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2023 6:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VICUG-L] some questions about using Gmail in standard view

Hi Jeanne,

Yes there are a dizzying number of shortcuts to use for Gmail standard view actually.  The organization I work for switched to Gmail about a year and a half ago, and while I had been using basic HTML mode at home, I found this was not at all sufficient to meet my needs at work.  The standard view has spellcheck, much easier access to your contacts, better search functionality, and a whole host of other utilities that basic HTML view doesn't offer.  I didn't so much need these at home, but definitely do at work.  I discussed using an overlay like Outlook, and apparently without Microsoft Exchange in the mix, Outlook does not play nicely with enterprise-wide Gmail at all.  I use Outlook for my home Gmail account, and htat works very well.  But it wasn't an option for work unfortunately. So I had to make the switch to standard view Gmail.

I'm pasting below a list of shortcut keys that will hopefully be helpful.  The listserv won't let me attach it unfortunately.

To answer your two specific questions, when a message is open, you can press shift+3 to delete it.  When in the message list, press x to select the message and then shift+3 to delete any messages selected.  Note that if you're using JAWS, you will have to toggle  between having the virtual PC cursor on or off a lot.  For example, to navigate a list of messages, the virtual cursor will need to be off.  Same for when you're writing a message.  But when reading a message, the virtual cursor will need to be on.  A pain, but I don't know how to get around that.

To delete a mistyped email address, tab or shift tab over to the To field, press the left and right arrows until you hear the address you want to delete, and then just press the delete key.

Hope that helps.  See below for shortcut keys.  The learning curve for these shortcut keys is fairly steep unfortunately, mostly because they are not intuitive at all.  It took me about a week of using Gmail for hours every day to really master all the important ones.  But they're necessary if you don't want to use an email client like Outlook.  Good luck!

Catherine

Keyboard shortcuts

Gmail

Action

Shortcut

Focus main window

Shift + Esc

Focus latest chat or compose

Esc

Advance to the next chat or compose

Ctrl + .

Advance to previous chat or compose

Ctrl + ,

Send

/Ctrl + Enter

/Ctrl + Shift + c

Add bcc recipients

/Ctrl + Shift + b

Access custom from

/Ctrl + Shift + f

Insert a link

/Ctrl + k

Go to next misspelled word (Mac only)

 + ;

Open spelling suggestions

/Ctrl + m

To spellcheck:

  1.           After you finish typing your message, press Tab until you hear "More options," then press Enter.
  2. Select Check spelling.
  3. To find a misspelling, press Ctrl or  + '.
  4. To open the list of suggested spellings, press Ctrl or  + m.
  5. Select the correct spelling.

Formatting text

Action

Shortcut

Previous font

/Ctrl + Shift + 5

Next font

/Ctrl + Shift + 6

Decrease text size

/Ctrl + Shift + -

Increase text size

/Ctrl + Shift and +

Bold

/Ctrl + b

Italics

/Ctrl + i

Underline

/Ctrl + u

Numbered list

/Ctrl + Shift + 7

Bulleted list

/Ctrl + Shift + 8

/Ctrl + Shift + 9

Indent less

/Ctrl + [

Indent more

/Ctrl + ]

Align left

/Ctrl + Shift + l

Align center

/Ctrl + Shift + e

Align right

/Ctrl + Shift + r

Remove formatting

/Ctrl + \

Actions

Note: These shortcuts won't work unless keyboard shortcuts are turned on.

Action

Shortcut

Move focus to toolbar

,

Select conversation

Toggle star/rotate among superstars

Archive

Mute conversation

Report as spam

!

#

Reply in a new window

Shift + r

Shift + a

Forward in a new window

Shift + f

Update conversation

Shift + n

Archive conversation and go previous/next

] or [

Undo last action

Shift + i

Shift + u

Mark unread from the selected message

_

+ or =

-

Snooze

Note: This shortcut isn't available in classic Gmail.

Expand entire conversation

;

Collapse entire conversation

:

Add conversation to Tasks

Shift + t

Calendar

pp or kk

Previous period

nn or jj

Next period

tt

Today

gg

Go to date

11 or dd

Day view

22 or ww

Week view

33 or mm

Month view

44 or xx

Custom view

55 or aa

Schedule view

66 or yy

Year view

Actions

cc

Create event

ee

Edit event

BackspaceBackspace or DeleteDelete

Delete event

CtrlCtrl + zz or zz

Undo last action (if possible)

EscapeEsc

Back to calendar view

CtrlCtrl + ss or CtrlCtrl + EnterEnter

Save event

Application

//

Shift Shift + == or ++

Focus on Search for people to meet text box

Shift Shift + cc or qq

Open create dialog

CtrlCtrl + pp

Print