From:
"J. V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. V. Rich
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 18:59:37 -0700

Hello friends,
My daughter in Syracuse, NY (diagnosed with celiac in 2003 and studiously gluten free ever since), realized today that she had been suffering from a low level of daily gluten exposure for several weeks because of drinking beverages from paper straws that were glued together with wheat starch.  The locally-owned business she was buying the drinks from was well aware that my daughter was gluten free, a fact that she made abundantly clear over and over again, but they didn’t think to tell her (until today) that their environmentally friendly straws were not equally celiac friendly. Somehow they didn’t realize that wheat starch was a source of gluten.

She, on the other hand, thought her constant digestive issues, bloating and frequent nausea that she had been experiencing since regularly buying beverages at this local shoppe were related to hormones or were signs of a deadly disease.

I wanted to let you know so you can avoid the same mistake.  For all compostable dishes, flatware, AND straws, ask what they are made of and what is used to hold them together.  Wheat starch or compressed wheat is used because it is considered a food (and so not toxic) and is also compostable.

On a related note: What do you recommend to speed healing of the gut after a repeated gluten exposure?  I am familiar with L-glutamine, but are there other supplements or products you can recommend?

Thanks,

Jackie in AZ

*******
*******