GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:29:07 -0000
Thank you for yet again another installment in truthful commentary. Here's
what I think of this scenario:

1. Many have missed the value of this maelstrom in Jammeh's reactionary
decisions. It seems to me that at least Jasseh's termination was a direct
result of the praises of KT. So jammeh must be paying close attention to the
L or have someone monitoring it for him and he must realize then that the L
is adverse to his person and property.

2.  I think Johnson and Jasseh were examples of individuals who saw the
light at a certain time in their short careers with Shitident Jammeh or
maybe even prior to it and were on the right track toward principled
governance. Therefore, even though they were appointed by the Shitident,
they must be commended, albeit rehabilitating, for attempting to serve The
Gambia in as honest a way as they saw fit. So, absent any evidence or
supposition that they caused death or injury to any person or National
institution, I would call on fellow L-ers to join me in thanking them.

3. Any movement, against corruption, crimes against humanity, or Fraudulent
Agency must be dynamic enough to let go of dissenters and readmit or admit
rehabilitated minor-offenders. That is the whole essence of a Mass-Movement.
It must not be portrayed as so rigid that it stifles dynamism and growth or
discourages forgiveness. I hope Johnson and Jasseh and all the others who
were summarily terminated without reason will not ask for their jobs back or
attempt to be pleading for The Shitident's mercy. Instead, I think they have
been wronged and they must now file suit under labor and civil rights laws.
They should establish a Legal Defense Fund to which ordinary citizens and
international labor Unions and Human rights organisations can contribute.

4. The opposition parties actually have a fight of their own. They must not
interfere with Johnson et al's rights under law. They have been aggrieved by
the mere existence of the IEC in its current form and constitution. That
must be challenged and they should not allow the Shitident to replace
Johnson et al. An Independent Electoral Commission is just what it says. It
must either comprise of elected persons or equally appointed by all
contestants in any election that the commission might be expected to manage.

5. The rest of us must support the parties we belong to, or if we are
independent of party but still concerned about The Gambia, we must engage in
worthwhile activity toward our desired conclusions. There is a lot of work
to be done in our spheres of Gambian Life. Handle events deisively and
expeditiously so you can continue to fight the war.