GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:57:30 -0000
Harona,

Pardon me but I have to ask this question before I chime in on your inquiry.
Can anyone provide the basis in law for the IEC, its present
constitution/appointments (what's left of it), and its tasks as assigned by
the Gambia constitution
Pre-Shitident Jammeh and Post-Shitident Jammeh.

I'm not too sure if the High court is challenged in any way except for the
lower courts to require Jammeh to provide reasons for any terminations of
employment as a matter of labor and civil right law. The plausibility or
defensibility of such reason should be adjudicated by the lower courts with
appelate rights granted to the aggrieved.

So unless the High Court agrees with the constitutionality of the IEC, the
manner of its Constitution/appointments, it should treat this case as a
private employer terminating the services of an employee without reason.
This means that unless the constituion provided otherwise, it is concluded
that the IEC is a private holding of Shitident Jammeh and therefore must be
dissolved and reconstituted based on the constitution prior to any amendment
by referendum.

cheers!!