GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Suntou Touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 05:48:33 -0400
brother muhammad , this is a very useful reminder to all who are interested in
being reminded.
but with all the goodness in your forward and opinion ,the Gambia is a secular
state and for that matter religion be it islam or christian is a private issue.
there are some scholars like Bakasou Fofana who did a very good lecture on
the respect of human rights and the trementdious work load our women are
under taking.
he admonish that we as Gambian should learn fast from what happen in
neigbouring countries eg ,sierra leon. liberia ,bissau and even cassamace. this
is as result of the silence marjority . but if an imam stood up now to comdenm
yahya ,who will be his supporter ? every voice need a listener and a
backer .we are secular in all our dealings ,for that matter religion is a
backbuner .from our intellectuals to the ordinary civil servants ,we care less
what happen after life. may be the sayings of max have affected us. he said ''
religion scholars are for the less intelligent folks and the poor but phylosophers
are for the intelligent and the rich ,because phylosophers talk in intellectual
language. '' we resent religious talking people, we term them as some moralist
who  may even be a hypocret .
scholars can strive to stand the worldly leaders but they most first see
that,they will be supported and in our case ,just like the case of the men in
the media ,we will abandon them .
brother muhammad take a look at the average Gambian wetsern educated
person and put him on the spot to answer some basic islamic
doctrines ,he/she may struggle with the very foundation in understanding
simple rules. when we attend weddings ,naming ceremonies ,burials etc we
pass on the responsilities to the socall arabic scholars .what about us ? we
think ,well it is for them ,it is their job .we are all equal in the eye of God .the
worldly things ,we never pass that on ,we take charge.religion can play a big
role in reducing the rate of suffering ,but we don't know how to use it ,we use
the system we are familiar with SECULAR SYSTEM ,MAY BE ONE DAY THAT
WILL WORK .May God help us.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい