GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
suntou touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:07:33 +0100
Laye, thanks for enquiring. Actually there is nothing wrong with that.
My dilemma was when I hear some of our Gambian politician accusing others of
being 'power hungry' whilst they are not.
Since what you sell inherently reflect on you, the buyers of the idea will
acknowledge the seller, in our case the politician, whose ultimate aim is to
assume political prominence or in order words, power.
Why should such a person see others as power hungry but exclude himself?
The answer lies in the manner and ways he sells his product, his 'civic
education'. By virtue of his utilisation of modelled strategy, he distance
himself from any notion of being interested in political position, because
he come across as someone solely interested in educating the populace.
You are well aware that, such statement of accusing certain Gambians
politicians of being power hungry is repeated even here, whilst the
propagators of 'civic education' are let off.

The similitude to me is that, during President Jawara's era, there were many
brothers who saw themselves as the natural replacement after the eventual
dethroning of Jawara.
The likes of BB Darboe, Sekou Sabally, certain senior military Commanders,
and the elites of the time. However, what those folks failed to recognised
is that, even their drivers or eran boys wouldn't mind being saluted to.
Human folly.
Yahya Jammeh, from no where wanted to be President, hence he was hungry for
power, but he never demonstrated any sign that, he is interested. Why, the
simple logic could be, those who line up to replace Jawara were the ones
making it obvious.

Therefore, When Sedia Jatta some months ago alluded that, some Gambian
politicians are 'power hungry', he failed to acknowledged, he is competing
with others for position of power. He was misleading Gambians when he
exclude himself from those hungry for power. Since there is no problem in
wanting to be the President of the Gambia.
Gambians should look into the philosophical logic of the Wollof Proverb
'Liingae jae, mola Jae' so that, at least, the realisation will be, whether
one pretend he is or uninterested in power, but if what that person
does *involves
lobbying for votes, contesting elections against rivals, going around towns
and villages campaigning*, such a person or persons don't have the moral
authority to accuse any one of being power hungry.
For instance, can we say Halifa wanting to be the third President of Gambia
is wrong or borders of being power hungry? To me no, because I know Halifa
is a politician just like all others, he may set his stall differently, but
still, he is selling something.
Thanks Laye. Just my thoughts of the powerful proverb.
Suntou

--
www.suntoumana.blogspot.com

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい