GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:30:28 -0400

It appears that some muslims are woefully mis-educated. For example, the BBC reporter's statement "One of the most contentious issues in the new legislation is that women are no longer required to obey their husbands" demonstrates global shortcomings in the comprehension of Islam. The Mali CODE does not relieve anyone of their religious OBLIGATIONS. If the reporter actually read The Mali CODE, and still supposes this manufactured controversy, then it is unfortunate ignorance and malignant error.

Secondly, Islam never Required Muslim women to OBEY their Muslim husbands. Islam advises mutual respect in the muslim family and cultures of muslims have emphasized the Male's superiority over the woman. Where the two concepts meet is the plea for more consideration from the woman in compromise and negotiation. To whom much is given, much more is solicited. But because the wife's considerations for the husband are indeed part and parcel of The Mali CODE, the contentious issue of whether muslim wives are REQUIRED to OBEY their muslim husbands was rendered moot.

I encourage the BBC reporter of these notes to reconsider manner of conveying the message to prevent unnecessary conflicts and fear. The Mali CODE is good for Mali's?Muslims, Christians, Animists, Harunamos, Free-Thinkers, Uighers, Dalai Lama Adherents, Bahai, Mormons, and Adventists, and I encourage widespread acclaim for it.

BESIDES: The Mali CODE is another option for Mali's muslims to CHOOSE. It does not supplant other fancies. The idea that the poor and illiterate are the better muslims is heresy and grossly asphyxiating of Islam. I am sure Dicko has something to do with this propaganda. But I will see him later.

Haruna.

Mali protest against women's law

Women were among the crowd at the rally at Bamako's main stadium

Tens of thousands of people in Mali's capital, Bamako, have been protesting against a new law which gives women equal rights in marriage.

The law, passed earlier this month, also strengthens inheritance rights for women and children born out of wedlock.

The head of a Muslim women's association says only a minority of Malian women - "the intellectuals" as she put it - supports the law.

Several other protests have taken place in other parts of the country.

The law was adopted by the Malian parliament at the beginning of August, and has yet to be signed into force by the president.

One of the most contentious issues in the new legislation is that women are no longer required to obey their husbands.

Hadja Sapiato Dembele of the National Union of Muslim Women's Associations said the law goes against Islamic principles.

"We have to stick to the Koran," Ms Dembele told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme. "A man must protect his wife, a wife must obey her husband."

"It's a tiny minority of women here that wants this new law - the intellectuals. The poor and illiterate women of this country - the real Muslims - are against it," she added.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい