GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:48:22 -0500
Thank you Suntou for sharing. I read Mr. Samateh's cautionary  compromise
for an opposition alliance to prosecute the 2011 elections in Gambia.  The
aim is to remove Yahya Jammeh through the ballot box. I was impressed with
Mr. Samateh's sobriety, if a bit partisan, but a few items are indefensible. I
 bring here the most significant of these malignancies:

[Beyond the solitary question of flag bearer, he must unconditionally  put
all  other cards on the table.] Foday.

I advise that Mr. Darboe keep the cards of Rule of Law and human  rights on
the table and nothing else for the purposes of enticing any partner to
alliance-making. These are the only reasons an alliance becomes superior to
each  party contesting the elections independently. Mr. Darboe must not
contemplate making any promises on anything else that his own integrity and  the
integrity of the multitudes of UDP members cannot support.

[He needs to make three major concessions to demonstrate that he is
willing to make real sacrifices for the nation in the interest of alliance.]
Foday.

If Mr. Darboe's integrity and the recognition of such integrity by  the UDP
supporters and voters is not enough to demonstrate that he has made and  is
willing to make real sacrifices for the nation, alliance or no alliance,
then  he does not deserve to lead an alliance of opposition parties. Mr.
Darboe must  shy away from making concessions he cannot he nor the members of the
UDP  cannot sustain or support. The only consideration for alliance-making
is honesty  and sincerity to uphold the constitution of Gambia and to be
fair among the  constitutent citizens and guests of Gambia.

[He needs to unilaterally announce that if elected president on the  united
opposition ticket, he will serve only one term of five years to end our
national nightmare.] Foday.

Hon. Darboe needs do NO SUCH THING. Mr. Darboe cannot promise that he  will
only serve one 5-year term in office when he would urge a 2-5-year
term-limits for succeeding governors, to include any prospective governor  issuing
from allied opposition parties or the APRC. For alliance-making  sakes, the
allied governor should be restricted only by the 2-5-year-term limit.  If
Yahya had agreed to a 2-5-year-term limit, that would have been one less
reason for an alliance. No matter the desire for alliance-making. The crimes of
Yahya for which we desire an alliance, are not related to a 1-5-year term
limit.  And it is only the scale of the criminal's ware that addresses
term-limits. If  Darboe is compelled to make a promise of serving only 1-5-year
term limit and  institute a 2-5-year term limit in the constitution, the only
concession he  needs to make is that the new governor must issue from the
UDP party to complete  the second term. Now there's a compromise of
due-diligent leadership. We must  remember that even after an alliance is formed, the
voters of UDP will be a  significant partner in the success of the Alliance.
If after Darboe's first  5-year-term, the next governor of Gambia issues
from another party that is not  the UDP, (to include the possibility of an
APRC governor), why should that  governor serve 2-5-year terms and the UDP only
one. It is spectacularly  egregious, unfair, and unconscionable. Alliance
or no alliance. It is important  to reflect on what expedition inures.
Expedition inured us Yahya and expedition  and impunity inured the criminal in
Yahya. There is no guarantee that  another Gambian will not become a criminal,
And fairness is the barometer of  criminality.

[He needs to publicly give all the assurances that the key positions  in
the transition government from vice president, foreign minister, justice
minister, finance minister, interior minister and others will be given to
alliance partners at a unity conference.] Foday.

Why? Mr. Darboe must make no such promise. If he is enticed into  making
promises, it should be that, if he becomes President, his cabinet  will
reflect the composition of Gambia's constituent ethnicities and  interests.
Anything less or more will be egregious for Gambians. Again  absent the
criminalities of Yahya which include the odious composition of his  cabinet, there
would have been no appetite to replace him, with or without  term-limits. If
any opposition party required such promise, they are not genuine  partners in
alliance-making. The problem will then become how do you distribute  those
key-positions among the opposition parties and why remove UDP officials  and
partisans from consideration for those key positions.?? This is the most
arsenine promise any leader of allied parties can make.

[He needs to also publicly declare that the Shadow Cabinet of the Alliance
will come up with a comprehensive bill of democratic reforms as the
campaign  platform.] Foday.

Nice try Foday. WHy not just kill the UDP and ensure they never
participate in Gambia's governance again. The bill of democratic reforms of the  UDP,
NRP, GMC, PPP, or PDOIS are exactly alike and any one or all of them are
enough as campaign platform. The shadow cabinet will be a compendium of the
constituent citizens of Gambia who sustain alliance victory. We must  keep
open the privilege of the shadow cabinet including citizens who do not  belong
to any of the allied parties. The parties themselves, after amalgamation,
will not yield victory for the alliance. It is the mass support of Gambian
citizens that will yield victory for the alliance. Hon. Halifa's AGENDA 2011
 recognizes the value of this citizenry by allowing for the alliance
flagbearer  to potentially issue from civil society or other independent partner.
Mr. Darboe  must not promise that key cabinet positions of an alliance
governor be  reserved to the allied party officials nor that such odious Shadow
cabinet be  mandated to come up with an alliance campaign platform. Any
Alliance campaign  platform must be a synthesis of the individual party platforms
of the allied  parties, which synthesis should be completed by an alliance
campaign  committee.

[These reforms must include: writing a new Constitution to ensure  full and
proper Separation of Powers and  term limit for the President,] Foday.

This item is already included in the platforms and policy positions  of all
the opposition parties who will form the alliance.

[realigning the state institutions in conformity with open and  transparent
government, and restructuring the economy.] Foday.

Ditto. I encourage Foday to review any of the prospective alliance
parties' platforms and share his findings with us.

[The policy and institutional reform aspects of the 2006 MoU and  Agenda
2011 are great starting points and he needs to say so to reassure fellow
opposition leaders that he is reaching out in good faith and not taking them for
 a ride.] Foday.

Excepting the cacamayme primary stipulation and the 2-year term  limit, and
the proviso that the prospective alliance governor not be eligible to  run
for office after the idiotic 2-year-term, the 2006 MOU and or AGENDA  2011
are both inferior to any of the prospective parties' policy platforms. No
need to waste time writing another thesis. We have wasted enough time  already.

[He also needs to caution his supporters to cease and desist from  using
crude and gratuitous language in reference to his fellow  opposition leaders.]
Foday.

All opposition leaders must always caution their supporters to cease  and
desist from using crude and gratuitous language in reference to alliance
leaders. I inform Foday that Hons. Ousainou, Hamat, Hassan Musa, Mai, OJ,
Halifa, and Sidia have all been issuing such cautions and they will continue to
issue them.

[If he will insist on being the leader he must act like one both  publicly
and privately.] Foday.

Hon. Ousainou does not insist on being the leader of any opposition
alliance. Hon. Ousainou is the elected leader of the UDP party. Any serious and
sincere opposition alliance must fall in behind the UDP if the desire is to
remove Yahya from the presidency of Gambia. By default, Hon. Ousainou Darboe
is  the appropriate leader of any such alliance until such a time that the
UDP  chooses another leader or the UDP is no longer the majority political
party in  the Gambia, or until such a time where votes are not significant
barometers of  political affinity.

I thank FOday for what seemed an earnest effort at Alliance-making  and I
encourage him to study his suggestions one more time.

Haruna.

In a message dated 1/4/2011 6:35:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,