GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:18:11 -0800
Mr. Jobe,

As I promised earlier today, I can finally squeeze in a few minutes to give
you a more fitting response. In the few lines to follow, I will attempt to
relate the plight of Gambian farmers to the areas you highlighted as
positive developments and examine any correlation between the two.

On Education:
You argued that education is a pre-requisite for development. No qualms
there. That is factual. Development and enhancement of the human faculty is
fundamental for economic success. How does this tie in with the farmers'
plight? Consider this personal story. I was born and raised in a farming
family where my humble father toiled every single year on his many farms to
have a good harvest so that he can provide for mine and my siblings' needs
for school as well as clothing and other needs. From the small money he
gets, he invested in our education knowingly relying on the competence and
capabilities of the facilities at our local school and teachers to help us
become what we are today. From this meager sum he would also reward us for
the help we gave him at the farm by buying new clothing, shoes and money for
lunch at school. We always looked forward to this time of the year. Sounds
familiar huh? The reason I brought this up is simply to show the direct
relationship between money earned by these striving folks from farming and
how that affects their decision to send kids to school. When they are in no
position to pay for the kids' educational needs, how do you expect the
classrooms to be occupied? Does it really matter how many schools are built?
Most parents would rather send their kids to go find other means of feeding
the family. This, you will agree, does not help to break the cycle of
illiteracy neither help the development of human faculty for a successful
economy. It does not make it cheaper or more accessible for the poor farmers
either.

On health:
Majority of these farmers live in areas far off from big towns. They will
not only have to come up with hospital fees and money for medication in the
case of an illness but also have to find means of transporting the sick to
and from the hospital over despicable road conditions. Not all of these
hospitals have a functioning emergency vehicle. Even where they do, chances
are, the patient will have to provide for the fuel and sometimes pay the
driver to transport them to the hospital. Will the poor farmer waiting for
his dues be able to afford such expenses? They will have to settle in for
traditional medication or hopelessly watch their loved ones wither away.
What good does the hospital do to the poor farmer? Where they are lucky to
get access to the hospital facilities, they might have to settle in for
inexperienced practitioners with very little amenities. When they are lucky
to see a doctor, they will still need to come up with funds to buy the
prescribed medication, which in most cases, is only available at one of
major pharmacies in Banjul or Serrekunda!
Improving the standards at the existing hospitals making sure they are fully
equipped with experienced personnel and ready supply of medications would
have been a better alternative from building more hospitals that will only
serve for political score points.

What I'm trying to say here is that yes, you can build more schools and
hospitals but that does not necessarily make it easier or cheaper for the
farmers if they are not earning their dues. The government cannot afford to
maintain these facilities, provide the equipment or maintain the personnel.
So don't even think about providing the services free or cheaper for the
poor farmers.

What we need of the government is a better distribution of resources and
setting priorities that will reflect effective strategies for a successful
economy, not political score points for APRC. How can these people tell us
that they are working for the people when in all their actions one can
clearly see that they are only helping in bringing the economy down? Just
look at what has been done to the tourism industry and now agriculture. What
is this governments' strategy for economic development, if they have one? I
think they can learn one or two things form the people of Mauritius.

Enjoy your day.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519