GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bamba Laye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:01:11 -0600
Kanteh,
Jammehs' marriage of a third wife would have been trivial if not for the resentment shown by the public after the marriage of his Morrocan wife. I believe that the people have the right to know who their first lady is. Remember that the presidents' wife in the capacity of the first lady will be representing the people in various fora. This fact should not be overlooked. I agree with you that the mans' private life should be respected, but again when Jammehs' wife is to make a presentation or speech at some very important conference or gathering, she is not going to be presented as just another housewife, she will be presented as "the first lady of the Republic of The Gambia".
This, Mr. Kanteh, makes it all the more an important issue that the people be well informed about who will be representing them whether by elections, nomination or marriage.
The fact is that, once you agree to get into politics, you should expect to be a subject of public debate the extent of which is only determined by your actions.

Just thinking out loud!

Abdoulie A. Jallow

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter".
 - Dr. M. L. King Jr.