GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:35:07 EDT
Saiks,
          Thank you very much for illustrating the state of the nation in a
candid and sober manner. I agree with all of the points you raise and share
your outrage at this governmnet's blatant attempts at masquerading their
misrule . You give President Jammeh too much credit for suggesting that he
was at most trying to give the international community the impression that he
was a benevolent dictator who is concerned about the human rights of his
people. Sure he tried to do just that but leaders like him are religated to a
category of their own which is akin to a diplomatic leper colony far from
legitimate democracies. How can a regime that is certified as  a human rights
abuser by internationally recognised institutions all of a sudden be an
apostle of all that is required in a free society? No amount posturing can
cleanse the image of a tyrant and i can assure you that President Jammeh has
not changed any minds about his regime. I sat and listen to him for an hour
utterly misrepresent circumstances in the Gambia . Without any reservations
he pronounced Gambia as a thriving place with great hospitals , roads
,schools etc when the reality is a people  reeling under crushing poverty .
This is a government that is faltering in all aspects  and because of it's
cruel nature they are bent on dragging the entire country down a ruinous road
regardless of the costs associated with that.
 I too would echo your sentiments and urge all those who are concerned about
the direction of the country to do whatever is in their power to get rid of
this people.
karamba