GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdoukarim sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:06:41 +0000

Probe into border staff 'racial prejudice' claims

Young Border Agency staff used intimidation, MPs heard
The UK Border Agency is investigating whether some staff are "racially prejudiced" towards asylum seekers.
Former worker Louise Perrett told MPs that one colleague had ordered young African men to demonstrate "shooting" to prove they had been child soldiers.

She added that another had sung a derogatory song about the Congo, while staff mocked one another whenever asylum applications were approved.

UKBA boss Lin Homer said an inquiry into the claims was "under way".

Ms Perrett was an agency worker at the organisation's Cardiff office for three-and-a-half months during the summer of last year.

'Horrendous'

She told the Commons home affairs select committee: "What I saw was absolutely horrific and should never be accepted or ignored."

Speaking of her early dealings with one colleague, Ms Perret said: "I asked about the claimants and their [the staff member's] thoughts and was told 'If it was up to me I would take them all outside and shoot them'.

 I take very seriously any allegation that any of our leaders in any part of our organisation would be disruptive or racially prejudiced

Lin Homer
UK Border Agency
"I said she shouldn't be saying things like that in the office and it was horrendous... That was an indication of what was to come."

On another member of staff, Ms Perrett said: "He was giving me tips on how to conduct interviews.

"One of his examples was that... when he had young men or children claiming to be former child soldiers, he would make them lie on the floor and demonstrate how they would shoot someone in the [African] bush.

"If he didn't do it immediately, or there was some hesitation, they would be refused [asylum]."

'Gung ho and rude'

Ms Perrett also described how a member of staff reacted, by adapting a 1980s TV advertisement's wording, when she told him about an application she was handling.

She said: "When he asked me where the lady was from, I said the Congo. He said 'Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they kill them in the Congo'."

Ms Perrett also said that, within the Cardiff office, there was a cuddly toy known as "grant monkey" which was placed on the desk of a member of staff as a form of mockery if they granted asylum.

She said that, when she had raised concerns about people's behaviour, these had been "dismissed and laughed off".

Ms Perrett added: "There are good people there. Don't get me wrong. There are good people who work in a professional, courteous manner."

'Intimidation'

But she added: "The younger members of staff were more gung ho and rude from the moment they met an asylum seeker in the interview room."

They showed a "general hostility, not so much in things they would say but in their demeanour and their abruptness and general intimidation that I thought, as a good official, was totally unnecessary", Ms Perrett said.

In response, Ms Homer, chief executive of UKBA, told the committee: "I take very seriously any allegation that any of our leaders in any part of our organisation would be disruptive or racially prejudiced."

When she had found out about Ms Perrett's allegations, she "took the position that we should investigate and this investigation is under way", she added.

"If it generates any [evidence]... we would see that as a very serious priority for the agency."

Bookmark with:

Delicious
Digg
reddit
Facebook
StumbleUpon
What are these?

 E-mail this to a friend

SEE ALSO
Ex-worker's asylum agency claims
03 Feb 10 |  South East Wales
Asylum seeker rules 'not working'
14 May 09 |  UK
Border Agency bonuses criticised
08 Dec 09 |  Politics
UK child asylum rules 'flouted'
10 Mar 09 |  UK
Day in life with UK border police
23 Jul 09 |  UK

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
UK Border Agency
Home affairs committee
Independent Chief Inspector of the UK Border Agency
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

TOP POLITICS STORIES
Ex-Labour chief Michael Foot dies

Hague 'told recently of Ashcroft'

Many young voters 'unregistered'

| News feeds

MOST POPULAR STORIES NOW

SHARED
READ
WATCHED/LISTENED

The art of list-making
Child 'directed NY airport jets'
Women refuse airport body scans
Spanish police smash huge botnet
Clues to Antarctica space blast Most popular now, in detail

SHARED
READ
WATCHED/LISTENED

One person killed as buses crash
Mutya applies for Sugababes name
Child 'directed NY airport jets'
Propeller victim 'did not move'
Women refuse airport body scans
Spanish police smash huge botnet
Smoker jailed after railway push
Bulger killer 'where he belongs'
Glazers receive backing from Gill
Man fathered three with daughter Most popular now, in detail

SHARED
READ
WATCHED/LISTENED

BBC News Channel
Child 'directed planes at JFK airport'
Ex-Labour chief Michael Foot dies
Gold Amy is welcomed home in Bath
Queen welcomes Jacob Zuma to UK
Plane crash at Indian air show
Foot reflects on his infamous jacket
Bulger killer: Reaction from Merseyside
Paxman grills Thompson over closures
Queen welcomes Zuma on UK visit Most popular now, in detail

FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS

 Mark Easton

How James Bulger and Sarah Payne shaped our nation

 Anatomy of a cut

What's it like to be at the centre of a spending cut?

 Tango for one?

Mark Mardell on Obama's health care endgame

Most Popular Now
Traffic to this site is currently 22% above normal

Skip to top

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

E-mail news
Mobiles