GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:01:06 +0000
                                                      BY PA NDERRY M'BAI AND
                               Ebrima G  Sankareh

  BANJUL, THE GAMBIA: At its leadership nomination this morning, the National Alliance for Democracy and Development NADD came close to naming Omar A Jallow, former agriculture Minister in the PPP regime,  as flag bearer. Mr.Jallow, our sources revealed was nominated by NRP'S Dullo Bah and seconded by NDAM'S number two man.

  Earlier, lawyer Darboe, was proposed by Mr.Yahya Jallow, UDP'S, Deputy, but had no one to second him. Ms.Amie Sillah, of the PDOIS, nominated Mr.Halifa Sallah, NADD coordinator.  Like Jallow, Sallah, too was seconded. However, our source said that Halifa in a gesture of magnanimity declined his nomination, which automatically propelled OJ, to the front.

  As we went to press, well placed sources  intimated that an official statement could not be made, because lawyer Darboe, has asked to be given chance to confer with UDP party officials.  He promised to come back on Thursday.

  It remains to be seen, if  Thursday, will end this long over due nomination of a flag bearer, given the advantage it provides the Ruling APRC, to make hay while the political sun shines in 2006.

  Reacting to the story, Kebba Jallow, former KMC Chairman, confirmed our story and said he had been in  constant touch with the NADD leadership on the nomination.
  "This is an encouraging step for NADD to take this decisive initiative to move forward,"said Mr.Jallow.