GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edie Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:44:21 +0000
Have faith, not that God will do something for you an hour from now, or tomorrow. Don't have faith that God's going to be good to you. Have faith that since before Abraham was, God's kingdom has been established on earth, and perfection is. Now at first you may only have your intellect to make that statement with. But if you persist in it you will develop this inner spiritual faculty, which will enable you to look through appearances and behold the man and the world of God's creation. Do you see that?

Now, if you don't understand the nature of error, sure as fate you're going to go out looking for a God to do something for you tomorrow. And you're not going to find it because all of the religious world is out on that same search and they're not finding it. Everybody, whether they are Hebrews or Christians, whether they are Moslems or Hindus, they're all out looking for a God that's going to do something for them. And they're not finding it. And they're not going to find it either. Because all that God did, He did in the beginning. That which is always has been. That which has been always will be. Why? Because God is. Good is. Harmony is. Spirit is. Reality is.

Now, to be able to live in that state of is means that you won't try to reach God for any purpose but one. And I don't think there's anything nicer than an unfoldment that came to me during a class one time in connection with this, when I said that if your mother were living at the other end of the world and you had a natural desire to go and be with your mother, do you think it would be for some purpose, or to get something? Or just for the joy of communing and being with her? And that's the answer, isn't it? Who wants to go to their mother to get something? Who wants to go to their mother for some purpose? All we want to do is go to our mother for the sake of sitting with her, talking with her, enjoying her, communing with her. Everybody wants that and nothing else.
And that's what we want to go to God for. We want nothing of God but the joy of communion. We want nothing of God but the joy of conscious union, oneness, peace and joy. Sitting out somewhere on a hill with God. Not asking for favors, just saying "Let me sit here and just abide in Thy grace, abide in Thy presence." That is why we want to meditate, that is why we want to commune or pray. Not to get something because you can't get it. You cannot get it. You are already heirs of God, joint heirs with Christ in God. And all the heavenly riches are already yours.

And the world is making its mistake by looking to God for something and God hasn't it to give because God isn't withholding it. If God were withholding it then you might get up there and tease Him a little bit, coax and plead and beg, bribe and maybe even tithe with Him. And have Him loosen up the string.

But God is not withholding anything and therefore God can't give you anything. Please remember that. God isn't withholding. No more than the sun is withholding warmth or light. No more than water is withholding wetness. No more than the ground is withholding crops. No, no. Anything that comes under God's grace is not withholding. I don't care how many fish you take out of the sea, next season there'll be more there. It doesn't make any difference how many birds you shoot out of the air, next year there'll be more there. Always there'll be more and more and more, because God does not withhold.

On the other hand God doesn't give, God just is. God is is-ing all the time.. God is expressing all the time. God is unfolding and disclosing and revealing Itself all the time. Not beginning an hour from now. Not after you pray. Not after you commune. Not after anything. But in the beginning, since before Abraham was.

That's why Jesus didn't have to hurry to Lazarus. He just waited three or four days before he got over there to raise him. Because he knew that nothing could happen to Lazarus today that hadn't happened yesterday. Nothing could happen yesterday that won't happen tomorrow, because as far as Jesus was concerned, God is. And when he got before Lazarus' tomb that's exactly what he said "I don't have to pray Father but for the sake of these ignorant people I'll say something." (Laughter)
Don't you see that if you live in the tabernacle of God, if you live in the consciousness of God, if you are willing to give up your desires, your hopes, your anxieties and your fears and just say "Oh, let me rest, let me sit at the feet of God. Just let me rest as a child with its parent, wanting nothing, desiring nothing; really trusting that the allness of God is forever being expressed. You will soon find such a state of peace and relaxation as will surprise you.

And it will not be long until that flow will begin to come in your direction. It may take a day, a week, a month but you will find that as you relax in it, and stop looking to God for something, stop believing that God's withholding something, and that in some miraculous way you can start the flow going. You can't do it. You can't influence God. You just can't do it. God isn't to be influenced by us. God is always about It's own business.

So leave God alone and let God do it, but always seek to be in the companionship of God. Always seek…it is like…I've repeated this so often now Acquaint now thyself with Him and be at peace; or Acknowledge Him in all thy ways; or Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee. Just rest and abide in the assurance…well now just look.. How many times in your life have you watched twenty-four hours go by each day? And surer than fate the sun came up and the sun went down. And the rain came and the rain stopped. And the snow came and the snow stopped. And the trees were barren and the trees were full. And what did you have to do with all that? Nothing, but be a beholder. Nothing, but be a beholder. God had it all in God's own hand. So it is.

The nature of error is important because if you understand it you will stop trying to worry God. You will stop trying to use God as a power over your discordant conditions. And you will rest more in the assurance that God is an infinity. And that all these errors of the world are a dream substance. Awake thou that sleepest and Christ will give thee light. Do you see that? You'll just realize "Why all of this horrid human picture is a mental image in thought, which disappears the moment we relax our fears, our doubts, our hates, our selfishness, our sense of getting instead of sharing that which flows from within our own being."

Now, those are the two parts of the letter of truth – as, is and am, and then the nature of error; so that you are not tempted to use God as a power over some form of evil. Is that clear?
Now, when you've got that and if you persist in it, you will develop the spiritual consciousness, this inner faculty, which enables you without effort, to really see with inner vision. And don't think you don't need it because the Master spoke of those poor people who had eyes but didn't see, and had ears but didn't hear. He meant they had outer eyes but they had no inner vision. They heard outwardly with their ears. They probably also were listening to their form of television in those days and had no time for this spiritual vision.

Now…oh I don't mean I have anything against the right use of television or any other human thing. Don't ever misunderstand what I'm saying. I've learnt Peter's lesson, not to call anything filthy that God hath made. And so our television and our radios and our movies and music, everything that God has given and God has given us those things, are good. Man sometimes perverts the use of them and makes them evil. But in and of themselves they're good. And in and of themselves one of these days, they're going to be the great blessings to lift us up into this consciousness. Because they are going to be the means through which these lessons are given to the world. All right.

Now then, understanding that all that God is, I am. Understanding that there is no me, separate and apart from God, therefore I embody all that God is.. That enables me to say "What of this error? Well then if the first part is true, the second part can't be true." And then rest and rest and rest in that realization.

Now, that is the principle of The Infinite Way - oneness and one power.. But the next point that we come to is the specific application. And so we have a question here. Well let's first, before we come to that, let's take this other question and get it out of the way and then we'll come back to the main one.

This question is "Explain this point in prayer. You say that we must not ask for anything, except that the spirit of the Lord may come upon us. Why did the Lord teach us The Lord's Prayer?" Well, for that reason, for that reason. So that you never ask for anything, because he says so definitely you mustn't ask for anything. He says in that prayer "Give us this day our daily bread." But who in this room believes that he meant baker's bread? After saying that I am the bread of life? What is bread? What was the bread he was talking about? Certainly he didn't mean baker's bread when he talked about himself as bread. I am the bread of life.

Do you remember how many times he told us not to labor for the meat, which perishes? Then why should he say pray for it if it perishes and he tells you not to labor for it? And if you're not going to labor for it why should you pray for it? So he didn't say that you should pray for bread or meat or wine or water. When he said "Give us this day our daily bread," now do you know what he meant? He meant what he said, the staff of life, the substance of life, which is truth. (Continued on the next sub-section)