GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harona S Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:24:24 -0500
Karamba: My dear, we are still on the same coin, perhaps from different
sides. Training for GRTS is and has always been a priority. However, putting
2gether the resources has always been a herculian task. As you and i
understand, the Tv is a major burden on Gamtel. A single camera costs over
half a million Dalasi. A succesful station with nationwide coverage would
need atleast six-ten of such. And they will have to be continually used. The
Studio will generally need three to five more sophisticated and expensive
cameras than the ones cited. We are not yet talking about editing suites,
which generally costs atleast ten million Dalasi. GRTS has two analogue
editing suites, two Avid ( Latest computer editing system) and certainly the
Control room (gallery) which i can't begin to understand it's cost. There
also are the different satellites and relay systems nationwide that allows
for good picture quality to the viewing public nationwide.
Grts radio, also has been upgraded in 1999 with higher, better and wider
broadcasting capability to most of West Africa and up to Las Palmas. There
is a staff payroll of a rough estimate of two hundred employees for both the
radio and Tv.
There are the numerous experts from Germany and elsewhere, who conduct in
house trainning for the Staff.
Karamba: Consider this math, tell me Grts is doing badly?
For the most part there are over ten grts employees in the Uk and the U.S
studying at their own expense, myself included.
Both sides being heard: No dispute about that. You do have a point.
The National assembly may not be the best the Gambia can have, but, it's
what we have, atleast until the next elections.
gotta go!
Harona.