GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:24:50 -0000
Jobe,

Thank you for the information. You are right that Europe uses 900Mhz
frequency but most of them if not all support dual bands nowadays i.e. both
900 and 1800Mhz.

America operates in the 1900 MHz range frequency as Mr Sillah already said.

One of the advantages of GSM is roaming, do you know if there is any
possibilties for a subscriber of a different operator,say from Senegal
(which is also GSM 900Mhz I presume) can use his or her mobile phone in the
Gambia? Technically, this is possible in GSM technolgy, provided both
operators transmit within the same frequency range.
Interestingly, I learnt that this feature is not supported by Gambia's GSM.
Why and how, I am yet to comprehend. Is it possible to verify this info for
me, please?

Too bad the GSM in The Gambia is not provided by Nokia (the heavyweight in
GSM technolgy), just joking...:0)

Thanks once again.

Alieu