GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:05:35 -0000
Gambia-L:

The unedited below e-mail came from one of my sources in The Gambia.

"Kebba Jobe": As a student of African politics, I follow political events in
Senegal very keenly, and I am very familiar with how the press everywhere,
not just in Senegal, could have its own agenda, or be one-sided at times.

In fact, Fatma Denton, in her unpublished Ph.D Thesis on Gambian Foreign
Policy under deposed president Jawara, did an excellent job (she speaks
fluent French) in tracking down the role the Senegalese media played in the
dissolution of the Senegambia Confedaration, as well their role in the
Senegal/Mauritania border crisis.

But take note of the fact that Deyda Hydara himself speaks impeccable French
and also understands the Senegalese media very well. He monitors the
Senegalese media all the time. So if he has chosen to quote or publish what
Wal Fadjiri newspaper wrote, then he must have got good reasons for it.
Therefore, I trust The Point's editorial judgement on this one.

Regards,
Ebrima