GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:35:17 -0400
Jabou,

You are barking at the wrong tree here. Next time if you ask a question,
please wait for the answer rather than proposing one. The piece I wrote, I
wrote full of emotion and anger, as it is a tragedy that could have been
avoided. For your information, as I am writing this, two senegalese
ministers have already resigned, including one of the three that I hold
personally responsible for the disaster, the Senegalese transport minister.
If you must know, one of my colleagues, a lady cleaner, lost her eldest
daughter, son inlaw and their only two children. She was 25.

Secondly, if must know, I have more Senegalese relatives than Gambian
relatives even though I am Gambian through and through; and would die
Gambian. I wish no harm to anybody, including those who hate me.

Now to answer your question as what I pray to be wrong about, I had wished
that your assertion that because the Senegalese authorities had accepted
responsibility for the disaster, they would follow it up with appropriate
measures, such as prosecuting those who neglegently caused this tragedy.
This, I am sure you would agree with me, does not happen often in Africa.
Most of our leaders in Africa, do not have the culture of resigning
honourably. Some of our leaders do not do the right thing and resign if
something goes wrong. It was because of that I said I pray that I am wrong
in that the Senegalese authorities would be different. Thank God, at least
two ministers have seen it fit to resign, thus earning my respect.

Even though, I am still angry with Abdoulie Waade for having tacitly
ENCOURAGED (yes ENCOURAGED) the Senegalese transport union to disrupt inter-
state travel between the countries, despite all our existing agreements and
closeness, I have developed some more respect for him for only accepting
full responsibility, but for actually saying on TV that those found
culpable after an inquiry would be punished.

Your following assertion does not hold water, as I clearly stated that the
Senegalese authorities should have learnt for our recent tragedy. No sane
Senegambian can ever wish ill of a Senegalese or a Gambian

Jabou wrote:

"That is tantamount to  accusing them of conspiracy to kill these people
deliberately and that they will  not do anything to prevent such a disaster
in the future."

NO! I AM SUGGESTING NO SUCH THING!!!!

Have a good day, Gassa

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)