GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:00:15 -0400
Hamjatta, as usual, you are spot on again. I was about to write to Mr.
Manjang on the same lines. As you said, no one can argue with their noble
endeavor to foster peace in the country during the elections season. I join
you and others and wish luck to Manjang, Muhammed Sillah and Emmanuel Joof.
Their initiative was a good one.

Having said that, I think they are also preaching to the wrong choir when
they tell the Opposition to tone down the rhetoric and ensure peace. We all
know who the culprits are here. Let us call a spade a spade and quit these
silly games. How many Gambians have words killed so far? Granted, the
incitement from the words can kill. But who has gone on national TV to
incite his supporters to start killing people and telling on their
neighbors? Who goes around threatening civil servants? How many APRC
ministers have been ambushed before in the manner Darboe was ambushed in
Basse? How many APRC supporters were ambushed at Denton Bridge and stabbed?
I will NOT leave here today if I want to catalogue the lawlessness and
political thuggery of these vermin.

They use government-sanctioned thugs to intimidate their opponents. When
people fight back like they did in Baddibu (after APRC lost the
by-elections) Opposition supporters (victims of trespass) are then arrested
and incarcerated. At the worst, what the Opposition is saying to its
supporters is for them NOT to lie down and let APRC thugs walk all over
them. Self Defense. The Opposition (unlike Yaya) is NOT telling its
supporters to attack people. Yaya and his cohorts do not stop at talking
about violence. They kill and maim people.

Manjang should save Joof and Sillah some grief and just pick up the phone
and talk to his buddy Sarjo Jallow to tell his boss (Yaya) NOT to unleash
July 22 Movement thugs on the Gambian people. That’s all. Just like Yaya
made one utterance and made Decree 89 ‘history’, the vermin also has to just
talk to Baabaa Jobe and the July 22 Movement thugs for the political
violence to stop. All these meetings will get us nowhere if people do NOT
want to address the crux of the matter. Sarjo Jallow needs to tell the
criminal leading our country that the violence has to stop. If the vermin
CANNOT convince Gambians to vote for him, he should leave them in peace.

How can the Opposition threaten the peace in the country? The Opposition
does NOT have a Police Force that goes around slaughtering children as young
as three. The Opposition does NOT have an army led by some bigot sharing a
tribal agenda with Yaya to annihilate their opponents. The Opposition does
NOT have a national TV where it can tell its supporters that it is OK to
bury people six-feet deep. All we have is our determination to NOT let thugs
and bullies emasculate us. Let no pacifist be under some illusion. This time
around, Yaya is finished. No one will let these thugs walk all over them. We
will NOT attack them, but if they attack us, they will pay like that vermin
paid in Basse. Enough is enough.
KB