GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
suntou touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:32:15 +0100
"What you sell and also sell you" This Wollof proverb require greater
scrutiny. I wonder if any good speaker of Wollof can help with original
Wollof word. I am having nostalgic George in mind.
If what one sells also inadvertently advertise and in return sell you, there
is a deeper, more sophisticated explanation.
Can we say, The Defunct MOJA Central Committee were selling themselves with
their Marxist ideas to the people on the back of empowering the youths of
Banjul and surroundings?
The politicians engaged in civic education purportedly tells us that, they
are educating us. Are they in fact by default selling themselves, because
since they are the agents of the 'civic education' the buyers of the
knowledge, the youths mainly will admire and eventually follow the sellers
of the knowledge or sovereign orientation?
I am only seeing things from the angle of, 'Lii nghai jae, mola jae'.
Musicians sell themselves with their music, so is promoters...,
Journalist sell themselves with excellent materials, investigative news
items, breaking news etc...
Religious people with good sermon etc.
Therefore, I believe, politicians attempting to do the job of the free
press, ie informing and analysing events, schools ie educating, civil
society etc, it is only wise to accept that, they are actually selling
themselves through the ideas or on the back of civic enlightenment.
I may be wrong, but "what you sell also sells you" is something deep.
Thanks
Suntou.

--
www.suntoumana.blogspot.com