GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:30:49 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.87/2006, 9-10 October,  2006

Editorial
THE DANGERS OF AN UNINFORMED CITIZENRY

The greatest tragedy in a nation is to have uninformed citizens. Very few
educated Gambians go to the National Assembly, listen to budget speeches or the
critique made by the opposition. They do not read newspapers or engage in
dialogue regarding the affairs of the nation. They are not concerned with the
service rendered by the councils. They complain only when they get their
electricity bills, find it difficult to get visa or employment, lack water  supply
etc.
When it was announced that the management of NAWEC was being  transferred to
Global Management System, many people were surprised that major  public
corporations are heading towards privatization.
The Secretary of State  for Finance indicated to the nation last year that “
an important activity  embarked on by The Gambia Divestiture Agency is the
redundancy and compensation  framework study. This study is of crucial importance
to the divestiture  strategy, as it will develop the framework required to
achieve consistent  standards for employees of public enterprises in relation to
potential  redundancy and compensation of redundancy, during the divestiture
process,” he  noted
In short, many parastatals are under study for divestiture or  privatization.
Those who work under such sectors should prepare their minds for
redundancies. Professional and not political appointments will be the security  of those
appointed.
Time has come for each of us to realize that the destiny  of this nation is
in our hands. The decision we take and the choice we make will  either make or
break the nation. We cannot afford to live on castle in the air.  We must
build it on land to live in prosperity. Relying on those we know will  not sustain
ones prosperity in the long run. We must build the type of country  where we
can get our entitlements based on our input without relying on anyone  for
favours or charity. That is the only sustainable way to dignity and  prosperity.

PEOPLE OF TALLINDING CONPLAIN OVER DUMPSITE
By  Isatou Bettaye

The residents of Tallinding; Medina, around the Buffer Zone, raised  concerns
regarding the deplorable dumpsite within their vicinity.  They  said the
stench from the dumpsite makes life unbearable for them.
Speaking to this reporter, Mansata Jawo said that they complained about the
dumpsite to the Kanifing Municipal Council a long time ago, but no step has
been  taken to solve the problem.  She said the stench from the dumpsite could
cause sickness for them, noting that the head of the compound directly
opposite  the area, Kinteh Bah, has been ill for a long time now.  She added that she
 once complained to the K.M.C, but her complaints fell on deaf ears.
Kumba  Jawo, a resident of the area also expressed her concerns about the
dumpsite.  “When they come with their vehicles to dump their rubbish, we  always
complained to them.  But we only receive insults from them. She  explained.
She further said that they are appealing to the government  especially the
K.M.C to help them relocate the dumpsite from the area, before  Ramadan ends.
“We can even have a small market on the area, if the dumpsite  is out of the
area,” she remarked.
Other speakers also expressed similar  sentiments about the dumpsite.  They
said they are highly in need of help  to solve this problem.
When contacted, the Manager of the K.M.C Cleansing  Services, Mr. Njie, said
the P.R.O is the spokesperson of the K.M.C and that he  cannot say anything
regarding the situation.  The P.R.O, Kalifa Sanyang was  not reachable.

NBD GOVERNOR REFUTES ALLEGATIONS
By Fabakary B. Ceesay

The Governor of North Bank Division, Edward Seckan, has refuted allegations
that he interfered with polling at a polling station at Sallikene on Election
Day.
According to a polling agent Governor Seckan came to the polling  station
around 4:00pm.He was said to have asked the IEC staff to continue work  until
6:30pm., as this was ordered by the IEC. It is also purported that  Governor
Seckan told the presiding officer that anybody who came with a valid  voter’s card
should be allowed to vote, even if his/her name did not appear on  the master
register and the counter foil. It is indicated that the presiding  officer
refused to heed to the Governor’s order.
According to the witness,  there was a push and pull between the governor,
IEC staff and party agents for  up to about fifteen minutes before the governor
retreated. Governor Seckan was  said to have threatened the IEC staff and
party agents. He was escorted by many  security agents.
However, when this reporter contacted Governor Seckan, he  denied being
present at a polling station at Sallikene, but later said that he  was only there
to inform them about the adjustment of the time of the polls.  When this
reporter asked him whether he had a confrontation with the IEC staff  and party
agents, he immediately hung up on the reporter. This reporter later  tried to get
to him, but to no avail.
Comment: Is it the business of the  Governor about the time to close the
polls? Editor

MAKASUTU  EMPLOYEES DEPLORE WORK CONDITION
Bubacarr K. Sowe

A number of employees at the Makasutu Culture Forest have complained that
they are being exploited by their employer.
Members of the group, whose names  are withheld, said that they are issued
with no appointment letters, payment  slips or social security cards. They also
said that they are being ordered to  work more than the required eight hours,
without additional pay.
One of them  said, “We are working like slaves. They can sack anyone of us
without any  warning letter, which is contrary to the staff handbook of rules
and  regulations. Our jobs are not secure. Even if we are sick, they do not take
care  of us.”
Another worker who served for two years said that he was not given  any
appointment letter and has no social security card. He added that he was  issued
with only one pay slip for that period. “They pay us D40 a day and  sometimes
they deduct you if you complain,” the man said.
One of them also  disclosed that during the four years he has served at
Makasutu, he was given  only three pay slips. For him too, no appointment letter
was given.
Another  complainant expressed similar sentiments. “I have no pay slip,
social security  card or even an appointment letter,” he said.
However, the General Manager of  Makasutu, James English, has declined to
comment on the issue and referred this  reporter to the Labour Department.

PRICE HIKES PINCH URBAN  POPULACE
By Yaya Bajo

The month of Ramadan is a period of spiritual retreat during which Muslims
are expected to reflect on their creation and live a pious life. Because of the
 importance of the month, Muslims are expected to demonstrate love, sympathy,
 generousity and kindness. In view of this, prices of basic commodities
especially, are expected to be within the reach of the average consumer.  However,
that hardly happens. What normally happens is the opposite instead,  where
the price of some basic commodities go beyond the reach of the ordinary  citizen.
The exorbitant prices of goods impacts negatively on the livedhood  of the
average Gambian and expenses in the month of Ramadan are normally  unbearable’
This reporter visited the Serrekunda Market, one of the main  business
outlets in the country, and sought the views of some vendors and  consumers alike on
the continuous increment of certain basic goods around the  country. A wholesa
ler dealing in provisions along Sayer Jobe Avenue argued that  business
requires skills and expertise in order to survive the competition. The  man who
only identified himself as Sayd, noted that in establishing a business,  one has
to consider certain factors such as Political, Economical, Social and
Technological, which he said are pre-requisites for a successful business. He  added
that sometimes the prices of certain commodities fluctuates due to
unfavourable market situations which according to him depends on the forces of  demand
and supply in a given period of time. He further remarked that import  duties
levied on imported goods also have a bearing on the selling price of  goods.
Mr Sayd said that if custom duties levied on imported goods increases,  the
selling price of that consignment will also show sharp increment which is
borne by the final consumer. He therefore called for a review of custom duties
with a view to making goods relatively affordable to the final consumers who
bear the brunt of the hardship. He maintained that if wholesalers also fail to
consider the tax levied on their imported merchandises when selling to the
retailers, they will run at a lost.
Market vendors (retailers) who were  interviewed randomly expressed the fear
of running into losses, if they lower  the prices as they also obtained goods
with unfavourable price from the  wholesalers. However, the brunt of this
whole saga is born by the final  consumers most whom are farmers living below the
poverty line.

5,  247 REFUGEES GET ASSISTANCE
By Bubacarr K. Sowe

Atleast 5,247 Senegalese refugees across the country have began receiving
non-food items, reports from The Gambia Red Cross Society (GRCS), indicate.
Speaking to Foroyaa on Friday, Katim Nget, Programme Manager of GRCS said
that distribution of non-food items commenced on the 5th of October 2006, in the
 Fonis and Kombo East areas.
“These items are 1000 blankets, 1000 empty Jerry  cans, 14, 460 bars of soap,
1,500 sanitary napkins, 1000 sleeping mats, 500  mosquito nets and 680
kitchen sets,” Mr. Nget said.
He said that the items  will be distributed in ten centers and allocations
will be made as per family.  “All of them stand the chance to benefit based on
availability,” he  said.
Currently, according to Mr. Nget there are forty six villages in The  Gambia
that are hosting refugees from Cassamance.
Ron Mponda, Chief of  Mission of the United Nations High Commission for
Refugees in The Gambia, has  confirmed that 5,247 refugees are currently hosted in
The Gambia among whom 40%  are children. He said that recently, Concern
Universal (CU) has given food items  to refugees and a consignment from the World
Food Programme is expected this  week.

SURETY TO BE CONVICTED IF…..
By Yaya Bajo

One Mansour Camara, a Surety in a theft case, was ordered to pay a bail  bond
of D60, 000 on or before November 3rd, 2006 or be tried in a law court.  This
development came following an unfortunate escape of the defendant whom he
(Mansour) had bailed earlier on. Mansour was asked to produce the accuse person
some months ago when the matter was suppose to be heard at the Bundung
Magistrate Court, presided over by his worship, Moses Richards.
The accused  stands trial for stealing a vehicle and an engine belonging to
one Mr. Sallah.  The plaintiff was claiming a damage of D25, 000 from the
defendant. The  presiding Magistrate, Moses Richards, told the Surety (Mansour), to
pay a total  sum of D60, 000 on or before November 3rd, 2006, which includes
an amount of  D30,000 to be paid as compensation to the plaintiff, whilst the
other D30,000 to  be forfeited to the state. Magistrate Richards added that if
the Surety failed  to fulfill this he will stand trial. “If you abuse or
misuse this time frame  given to you, you will face the consequences,” he warned
Mr.  Camara.

FORMER PRINCIPAL ARRAIGNED IN COURT
By Modou  Jonga

The Former Principal of Forster Academy in Brikama, William Forster, was on
Monday 2nd October 2006, arraigned before Magistrate E.F. Mbye of the Brikama
Magistrate Court on a charge of willful damage to personal property.
According to the particulars of the offence, William Forster on the 11th of
September 2006 at Brikama Car Park, unlawfully and willfully damaged the
windscreen of a vehicle numbered WD 0225A by hitting it with his hand contrary  to
section 312 of the criminal code.
The accused pleaded not guilty to the  charge that is preferred against him.
The accused was granted bail in the sum of  D5000. He was asked to provide a
Gambia surety who has a valid ID Card. The  Police prosecutor was 1831 Sanyang
of the Brikama Police Station. The case was  adjourned till Thursday 19th
October 2006.

NADD FLAG BEARER ON THE ELECTION

Let me reiterate again that fundamental to the outcome of the election were
three factors, that is the power of ideas, the power of human and material
resources and the power of mass support.
Any objective analyst would agree  with me that NADD had overwhelmingly edge
to both the APRC and UDP regarding  content and delivery of convincing
messages. This is the first  point.
Needless to say, the UDP and APRC had edge over NADD regarding  material and
human resources. In comparison to the two, the APRC had  overwhelmingly edge
in terms of material and human resources  In short one  could not see the
distinction between state and party. Governors of divisions,  chiefs of districts
heads of villages, heads of institutions, prominent members  of the business
community, the army, police, NIA were all associated with the  President’s
campaign. Vehicles with numberless plates were distributed all over  the country.
Incumbency was exploited by the APRC to its optimum degree in  mobilizing
human and material resources of the state to its advantages.
Suffice it to say that, having an edge in ideas or material and human
resources is not sufficient to determine the outcome of elections unless such
advantages could be transformed into mass support.
The voters who could give  mass support could be divided into three
categories. There were the legitimate  voters who acquired their voters’ cards in the
proper manner and were ready to  cast their votes without inducement or
intimidation.
Secondly, there may  have been those underaged Gambians who had acquired
their cards illegally by any  false information to the registering officers to get
registered.  Thirdly,  there may have been those non-Gambians who had
acquired their voters cards  illegally by posing as Gambian citizens.
How many of those in these three  categories of the voters cast or did not
cast their votes? Who did they vote  for? Why did they vote or fail to vote?
These are questions that all analysts  should be interested in. For our purpose,
the analysis must not be an academic  exercise. It must not be a refuge for
the people to escape the consequences of  their actions.
It is only by facing soberly the inadequacies in thinking,  actions and
institutional process that the people will be enabled to make a  fresh start in
thinking and thus be empowered to take charge of their  destiny.
Outstripped by the APRC in terms of material and human resources  NADD tried
to compensate its inadequacies by giving convincing arguments of the
demonstrated incapacities of the government and the type of leadership that is  in
store if the people were to maintain it in office.
The deficits in liberty  and prosperity that were prevalent in the country
were put into sharp focus.  NADD would not have had much to criticise about the
electoral system except the  abuse of incumbency and the need for the IEC to
become more vigilant to prevent  the underaged and the non Gambians from
interfering with the electoral process  if an unheard of fiasco did not have
dramatic effect in undermining the  comparative advantages acquired by the NADD
Presidential candidate in the use of  the media. NADD’s fundamental blunder was to
have faith in the impartiality of  the director of GRTS. Our cassettes were
recorded and handed over to GRTS. There  was no mechanism in place for joint
editing by the IEC, representatives of the  candidate and a representative of
GRTS. In the future, we must insist on such a  tripartite arrangement.
Our first experience was the continuous featuring of  a cassette of our No
Kunda meeting for a period of three days. We received  reports that the speeches
of the flag bearer which exposed the regime were  always featured at the tail
end.
The weight of the fact and figures were  frequently impeached on by giving
lengthy focus on other speakers who dwelled on  the weakness of the other
opposition candidate. The attitude of the GRTS  management went from censorship to
minimize the impact of the powers of our  arguments to unbridled hostility and
defamation when they waited until a day  before the end of the campaign period
to broadcast, on the TV a recording of  Buba Sanyang in NIA custody
indicating that he impersonated an IEC official to  fill some nomination forms. The
deception of the broadcast was without parallel.  They broadcast a confession
without approaching me for opinion. The IEC was not  also informed before my
nomination to at least discredit my nomination. The  objective was therefore not
to challenge my nomination since I had 6000 people  supporting my nomination.
The attempt was to mislead the voters.
The  deceptive tricks of the GRTS management reached repugnant and malicious
proportion when they deliberately suppressed my last ten minutes broadcast
where  I dealt with their broadcast which the Observer Newspaper chose to
publish under  the heading “NADD’s Buba Sanyang spills the Beans” with my picture
on the front  cover. GRTS refused to cover my press conference. The Observer
published it in  an inside page. I called the IEC for them to intervene to
ensure that my message  is transmitted as a matter of right. I quoted section 93
subsection (1) of the  Election Decree for their observation to no avail.
Section 93 subsection (1)  states that “The Commission shall, during an election
campaign period, ensure  that equal air time is given to each candidate and
national party on the public  radio and television.” I emphasised that depriving me
of my last ten minutes  before the end of the campaign period constituted a
gross violation of my right  as a presidential candidate. The IEC appeared
totally helpless in protecting my  integrity against a deliberate attempt to
defame me. To add insult to injury,  the GRTS management made news out of the
television broadcast and transmitted it  by radio so that it would reach the whole
country, on the day before elections  which was supposed to be a resting
period. The news item gave the impression  that as a presidential candidate I asked
a 7th grade child to fill my nomination  form by impersonating an IEC
official. I called the IEC to intervene to stop the  erroneous and malicious
broadcast but to no avail. The GRTS management did  therefore make history in
displaying a conduct that did not remotely resemble  impartiality in the presidential
election. They brought my whole campaign, whose  content had been
irreconcilable to any falsehood, into disrepute, without  availing me y opportunity to
clear any doubts.
The deficit in liberty which  is criticized during my campaign became nakedly
evident because of the absence  of any private radio station to disseminate
my opinion as a Presidential  candidate after the state media deliberately
refused to broadcast my last  message to the nation. It was evident to the GRTS
management that reputable  journalistic practice requires the publication or
broadcasting of two sides of a  story. They preferred to negate my own opinion so
as to make fiction to pass as  facts. Where then was my freedom to be heard?
Where lies the fairness in  suppressing my last broadcast? How can I commend
the IEC for presiding over a  free and fair election when they were impotent in
directing the director of GRTS  to broadcast my last statement as required by
law and stop their fabrications  against my integrity on the day before an
election?
In fact, many people who  had an axe to grind with NADD began to spread the
rumour that my nomination  papers were fraudulently filled even though I had
about 6000 people supporting  my nomination.
Before taking leave of the subject allow me to prove how  ridiculous it is to
even hint that Halifa Sallah could ask anyone to impersonate  an official to
enable him to acquire electoral advantage. First and foremost, I  have never
canvassed a relative or a neighbour to vote for me so as not to  violate their
free will to choose. I have written countless letters to the IEC  to expose
corrupt registration practices so that we can have free and fair  elections.
Although, I am a National Assembly member my earnings go mostly  to render
services to others instead of wining and dining at state expense. I  have tried
to make my wife to get the highest level of education so that she  would be
completely independent in getting what she wants in life rather than  depend on
loot from a state to live in prosperity. What temptation is there that  Halifa
Sallah could be subjected  to, to the point of motivating a young  man who is
an extremely famous football player in his area, who is known to both  young
and old, to go to an area where he is well known to impersonate an IEC
official, just to fill my nomination forms. This notion is absurd to say the  least.
Notwithstanding, the broadcast is the chief event which had a  devastating
impact on the electorate. I cannot say how many people were  convinced by the
broadcast that NADD could not win and either decided to vote  for another party
or abstained entirely from voting. I cannot tell how many  youths in Kombo
East were intimidated. What is evident to me is that when I  visited Buba Sanyang’
s family many of his friends had been seen by people in the  community or
their families and advised to stay clear of politics.
The  television and radio broadcast on Buba did not reduce the climate of
uncertainty, if anything one should expect the situation to have been  worsened.
The truth however is that before the people went to fill my  nomination
forms, I was invited by Mrs. Amie Sillah who was in charge of the  operation to
inspire them. As a civic educator I gave them an inspiring speech  and asked each
of them to be given a cassette to play for the people to listen  before being
asked to nominate me.
I therefore wish to call on all youths  not to support me unless they are
ready to defend their principles at all times.  Anybody who makes the mistake to
tarnish my image no matter under what pressure  would be disowned and pressure
be put for ones prosecution. We will not allow  again such simplistic
disinformation tactics to affect our progress. After  lessons are drawn from Buba’s
experience any NADD militant who abandoned the  message and proceeded to claim
to do a criminal act under NADD’s auspices could  only be a common criminal
implanted to do something else other than to serve  NADD. When Amie Sillah was
put into contact with Buba while he was in detention  he had confessed that he
mentioned her name because of fear.
Suffice it to  say that when Mrs. Sillah finished her discussion with the NIA
I was informed. I  did not take the matter lightly. I decided to wage a
battle of integrity by  requesting the IEC chairman to post all the names of the
people registered under  Kombo East and request for scrutiny of the list. I
volunteered that if any   person’s name is found to be featured under false
pretence I would be willing to  subtract it from the 6000 or so names I had
submitted and would withdraw my  candidature if the number fell short of the 5000
persons required to be  qualified to stand as a presidential candidate. The
chairman of the IEC  indicated that this was unnecessary. I further made the
proposal that he should  give me photocopies of the names from Kombo East so that I
would proceed to do  my independent investigation and subtract any name found
to have been acquired  through dubious means. The chairman of the IEC indicated
that it was not  necessary. This was proposed few days after nomination. It
is therefore amazing  that nothing was done until the end of the campaign
period to try to attack my  integrity.
I therefore saw the move by the GRTS management as a deliberate  tactic to
erode the confidence of the voters in me. Taking the margin of  victory, I
cannot sincerely claim that this unprofessional conduct of the GRTS  management
barred me from being elected. However, it stands to reason that I  cannot have
respect for an electoral system which could not protect any  integrity at the
most relevant period of an electoral process.
In this  respect, I can only observe that when it came to the battle for mass
support  NADD was disadvantaged at a time when people had little time to make
a decision  on to what to do with their votes.
I cannot honestly say what the number of  votes would have been if the GRTS
did not broadcast a farcical picture that NADD  was in complicity with corrupt
electoral practices which was orchestrated by the  Daily Observer newspaper.
History will therefore record the tragic-comical scene  which should earn GRTS
an award in outdoing all broadcasting stations in the  world in
misrepresenting a Presidential candidate.
Notwithstanding my  inability to combat the scheme of the GRTS management at
the right time, the  GRTS team that covered our meeting in the country have
enough evidence that NADD  is in the heart and minds of the Gambian people
irrespective of the attempt to  tarnish its image.
Let me now focus on the results and the lessons to be  derived from them. We
are informed by the IEC that Gambia has 670, 336  registered voters. Out of
this 392, 685 voted in the 2006 presidential  elections. This amounts to 58% of
the registered voters. I have 23, 473 votes or  6%, President Jammeh had 264,
404 votes or 67% and Ousainou Darboe has 104, 808  votes or 27%.
Interestingly enough in the 2001 presidential elections there  were 504, 301
registered voters. 457, 484 voters voted comprising 89.83% of the  votes.
President Jammeh had 242,304 votes, Ousainou Darboe had 149, 448 votes.
Compared to 2001, there is an increase of 166,035 registered voters in 2006.
However the number of voters who voted in 2006 as compared to 2001 fell by
64,  799 votes.
It is also evident that the number of votes received by President  Jammeh
increased by 22, 104 votes as compared to 2001 even though there is a  rise in
number of voters by 166, 000 votes. In the same vein, Ousainou Darboe’s  vote
decreased from 149, 448 in 2001 to 104,808 in 2006. This is a decline of  44,640
votes. Needless to say, the UDP/NRP/GPDP alliance was based on the  premise
that if the UDP served as the vanguard of the opposition parties it will
accumulate the votes of the NRP leader of 35, 671 in 2001 as well as the votes  of
other parties to win the election.
However, instead of Ousainou Darboe  adding 35, 671 votes to his 149,448 he
had in 2001 there is a decrease of 80,000  votes from the coalition votes. What
is responsible for this? What is  responsible for a voter turn out of 392,
685 out of a 670, 336 registered  voters. Are the figures realistic or does this
mean that all parties in the  Gambia are rejected, that the Gambia is a
failed democracy? Should all parties  resign and allow for a new breed of
representatives to emerge or is the country  demanding new institutions and approaches
to politics that can earn the  confidence and trust of the voters in the
system? Is the result a strategic  victory or a tactical error for the opposition?
To be  continued

UDP SUPPORTERS’ TRIAL ADJOURNED
By Modou  Jonga

The trial of the five supporters of the United Democracy Party at the
Brikama Magistrate Court has been adjourned till 12th October 2006, due to the
absence of the Presiding Magistrate S.B Tabally who was said to be sick.
The  five UDP supporters namely Jarreh Fatty, Lamin R. Darboe (the UDP
candidate in  the recently contested Kombo East by-election), Buba Darboe, Maimuna
Jobarteh  and Momodou Demba, were all arraigned previously on Monday 7th August
2006. All  the accused pleaded not guilty to the preferred charge of assault
against them.  The accused persons were represented by lawyer Jorbateh.
According to the  particulars of the offence, the assaults were committed at
Pirang village in the  Western Division. The Prosecutor was ASP Badjie. The
complainants include Lamin  Secka, Kawsu Gibba, Sainabou Touray and Awa Jatta.

CUBANS PAY HOMAGE TO  THEIR COMRADES
By Fabakary B. Ceesay

The Embassy of the Republic of Cuba and Gambian friends together with the
Cuban Health Personnel on Friday 6th October 2006, rendered due homage and
tribute to those who fought for peace and outlawed terrorism.
The event was  to mark the 30th anniversary of the explosion in midair of a
commercial Cuban  Airliner flight, caused by a bomb planted by confessed
terrorists that killed  seventy three (73) persons on board. The anniversary was
also intended to  demonstrate solidarity to the Cuban five who were serving jail
terms in the  United Stats of America, USA. The Cuban five were acting against
the organizers  of the explosion of the said Airliner on 6th October 1976.
The Cuban five  were accused by the US Government for allegedly being spies
and members of a  secret agency. They were also accused of not being legally
registered in the  United States. The Cuban five are Gerado Hermandez who got
double life  sentences, Antonio Gurrero and Ramon Labanino sentenced to life
imprisonment  both. The other two, Rene Gonzalez and Fernando Gonzalez, got 19
and 15 years  respectively. According to the Cuban ambassador, Mr. Carlos M.
Salsamendi, there  is an on going world wide anti terrorism campaign, for
solidarity with the Cuban  five and the struggle for their liberation. That this
meeting could serve that  purpose,” he concluded.

KASSA JAATA RE-ARRESTED, RELEASED
By  Fabakary B. Ceesay and Babucarr K Sowe

Dudu Kassa Jaata, who is standing trial alongside seven others, has been
re-arrested at the premises of the Kanifing Magistrate Court. He was supposed to
appear before Magistrate A. Mbacke on Thursday, 5th October 2006.
Mr. Jaata,  was approached by  S.O Mam Jarra Bittaye of the Kairaba Police
Station,  while he was standing at the court’s veranda. “Are you Kassa Jaata,”
the S.O  asked. Kassa replied, “Yes I am.” “You are under arrest,” S.O
Bittaye said to  him. Kassa replied, “Let me give my items to my friend.” The S.O
replied: “Let’s  just go to the station, you are a Gambian like me.” Kassa
said, “Yes, but I must  handover my materials to a friend, you know I used to
walk into the station and  surrender myself to the police.” He was then whisked
away at 10.55 am in a  waiting police car, with registration number GPF8KP.
Mr. Jaata was later  released on bail late in the evening, the same day at
6.30 pm. According to Mr.  Jaata, upon his arrival at the Kairaba Police
Station, he was interrogated by  S.O Mam Jarra Bittaye. He said that, he was asked
whether he is a Gambian, and  to which political party he belonged and whether
he has a connection with  councilor Ousman Jatta (Rambo). According to him, he
replied that he is a solid  and patriotic Gambian, a staunch member of the UDP
and that councilor Ousman  Jatta (Rambo) is his blood brother. Kassa noted
that, he was later put in a cell  and that the S.O ordered that nobody should
talk to him. He was later released  on bail but asked to report the following
day, Friday, without being charged. He  said that upon reporting on Friday
morning, he was detained until at 1:00pm, but  he was not put in the cell. “The S.O
told me that, they can extend my bail,  revoke it or even set me free. One
thing I don’t understand is that I was not  charged but asked to be reporting
frequently,” he lamented. Mr. Jaata emphasised  that, his arrest is politically
motivated, but that he shall remain in the  opposition as long as he lives. “I
will die with my principles, because  belonging to an opposition party is not
a privilege but a right,” he  emphasised.
It could be recalled that, Dudu Kassa Jaata, is standing trial  alongside
seven others for allegedly uttering abusive words in public. The  incident is
alleged to have happened at Bakau, on the 27th of June 2006.