GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:58:23 PDT
Jabou and Banna,

I do agree with you and I believe that no one here will disagree that ID
arevery important and some of the reason are already given by Banna. My only
problem is most of the incidents i witnessed on police demanding of ID cards
were more of harassment and itimidation than for security reasons.

Personally, I was asked for my ID and then I give in my passport and the guy
said "don't you have an ID". I said to him just give me my passport in peace
because i don't understand what kind of ID you want. Off course it did not
stop there but i just asked my self how many innocent people have to go
through this.The worse is on your way to the Provonces ,when i was on my way
to the provinces people without ID cards are asked to get off the bus.

The issue of ID cards for whatever reason is becoming an aparthied style of
ruling. Today my mum was telling me that i think when you come home you
should get this ID card because i don't want you to start getting into trouble
with these people. I told her that I have my Passport she said that does not
matter anymore. Well, I will get to prove that when i get home

I also, believe that the officers at check points need more training as to
how to deal with the people. They seems to be as confused as the government,
sometimes they just don't differentiate between a Passport and National
Identity Card or they are just playing their usual corrupt games.

  The Struggle Continues!!!
  Ndey Jobarteh

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

[log in to unmask] wrote:
Mr Banna,

This is well said.Given the record of this present administration, one cannot
help but wonder what the real motive behind this ID card fiasco is. If the
only reason behind it is to check illigal immigrants, then it could have been
just a simple matter of utilizing  the media to inform the general population
the reason behind it, as well as directing them to take some form  of proof
of citizenship  to their nearest police station to have an ID card issued for
a nominal fee.The whole affair reeks of apartheid era South Africa, where you
had to have a pass or else.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 10/26/99 10:27:12 AM Central Daylight Time,