GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:23:31 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:33:54 +0100
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: PAMBAZUKA NEWS 106: DOUBLE STANDARDS: AFRICA AND THE WAR ON IRAQ

PAMBAZUKA NEWS 106
A weekly electronic newsletter for social justice in Africa

CONTENTS: 1. Editorial, 2. Conflict, Emergencies, and Crises, 3. Rights
and Democracy, 4. Corruption, 5. Health, 6. Education and Social
Welfare, 7. Women and Gender, 8. Refugees and Forced Migration, 9.
Racism and Xenophobia, 10. Environment, 11. Media, 12. Development, 13.
Internet and Technology, 14. eNewsletters and Mailing Lists, 15.
Fundraising, 16. Courses, Seminars, and Workshops, 17. Advocacy
Resources, 18. Jobs, 19. Books and Arts, 20. Letters and Comments

If you have e-mail access, you can get web resources listed in this
Newsletter by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the web
address (usually starting with http://) in the body of your message.

1.EDITORIAL

DOUBLE STANDARDS: AFRICA AND THE WAR ON IRAQ
Statement To The United Nations Security Council By James T. Morris,
Executive Director, World Food Programme
http://www.wfp.org/index.asp?section=2
We are all seized with the war in Iraq. On the humanitarian side, the
World Food Programme has launched what may become the largest single
humanitarian operation in history -- a massive intervention covering
logistics, food and communications totaling $1.3 billion over six
months. Reports vary on how much food Iraq's 27 million people now
have. Earlier, the Iraqi Government announced that several months worth
of food had been distributed, while our own national staff that has
monitored the Oil for Food Program for the last decade put the figure
at about a month's supply for the average family. We are all deeply
concerned.

But as we meet today, there are nearly 40 million Africans in greater
peril. They are struggling against starvation -- and, I can assure you,
these 40 million Africans, most of them women and children, would find
it an immeasurable blessing to have a month's worth of food. As much as
I don't like it, I cannot escape the thought that we have a double
standard. How is it we routinely accept a level of suffering and
hopelessness in Africa we would never accept in any other part of the
world? We simply cannot let this stand.

Commitments to humanitarian aid are political choices and this Council
is the most important political forum in the world. There is so much
each of you can do to focus the attention and resources on the food
crises now engulfing much of sub-Saharan Africa. We must never again
witness a famine of the proportions seen in Ethiopia in 1984/85. Up to
1 million people died in that famine -- losses far greater than most
wars. Ironically, much of the assistance that might have saved them
simply arrived too late -- thousands of tons of food were unloaded just
as Ethiopian families were burying their dead.

The causes of Africa's food crises remain as I described them in
December - a lethal combination of recurring droughts, failed economic
policies, civil war, and the widening impact of AIDS, which has damaged
the food sector and the capacity of governments to respond to need. The
scale of the suffering is unprecedented. The World Food Programme must
somehow find $1.8 billion this year just to meet emergency food needs
in Africa. That is equal to all the resources we were able to gather
last year for our projects worldwide and more than the biennial budget
of the UN Secretariat here in New York.
Thus far, we remain nearly $1 billion short.

Continuing funding shortfalls for food emergencies in the DPRK and
Afghanistan and future demands in Iraq further darken the outlook for
Africa. Last year, global food aid continued to plummet, dipping below
10 million metric tons -- down from 15 million in 1999. My colleagues
at FAO have found that chronic hunger is actually rising in the
developing world outside China and the World Health Organization
announced that hunger remains the world's number one threat to health.

Until recently it seemed that our appeals for help were just not
getting through. But I have some encouraging news. First, the Secretary
General has made the issue of African hunger -- especially as it
relates to AIDS -- very much his own and that has energized and
encouraged all of us. Second, France and the United States are working
together to put African food crises on the agenda of the upcoming G8
meeting to be hosted by President Chirac in Evian in June. President
Bush has announced the creation of a new $200 million fund to prevent
famine and we hope that will be a down payment on a broader political
commitment by the G8 and others to address food emergencies in Africa.

I will return to the G8 meeting a little later on and share some of our
thinking on the kinds of commitments needed to deal better with food
crises. But first I would like to share some information on my recent
trip to southern Africa as the Secretary General's Special Envoy and
our outlook on the current food security situation in Ethiopia,
Eritrea, the Sahel and West Africa. The largest single threat to
Africa's food security remains drought in a continent where irrigation
is rare, but AIDS, failed economic policies and political violence also
have major roles in different regions.

Southern Africa In southern Africa, and to a lesser degree in the Horn
of Africa, the impact of AIDS on the political and economic structure
grows daily. In January, I returned to the region along with Stephen
Lewis, who is the Secretary General's Special Envoy on AIDS in Africa.
We were struck by the impact the disease was having on both governance
and the food sector, and how the two were intertwined. Much of Africa's
political and technical talent is dying or emigrating, a huge depletion
of Africa's human resources. Mr. Lewis often recounts how one Minister
of Agriculture met recently with a delegation of nearly a dozen
representatives of the European Union. The Minister arrived at the
meeting alone, explaining to the delegation that all his immediate
staff was either ill or already lost to AIDS. Out in rural villages,
lands lie fallow because there is no one to farm them and more than 7
million African farmers have lost their lives to AIDS.

It is not hard to imagine where all of this is heading. The peak impact
of the AIDS pandemic has not yet arrived in southern Africa and is not
expected until 2005-2007. Political structures at the national level in
the worst affected countries may gradually just fade away and, along
with them, the services and social order they were intended to provide.
Many of these governments grew out of the artificial political
demarcations left by colonial powers and as political cohesion loosens,
the potential for civil conflicts along the lines of those we see today
in the Congo and Cote d'Ivoire grow more likely.

Even if governments succeed in maintaining a fair degree of central
control and political cohesion, basic services and their economies are
bound to suffer. How do you turn around food production in a country
that no longer has a viable agricultural extension service? How do
rural children learn to farm when their parents are too sick to teach
them? How do you maintain a basic educational system for children when
their teachers are dying faster than new ones can be trained? President
Mwanawasa of Zambia told me that they were losing 2000 teachers a year
to AIDS and were able to train only
1000 a year to replace them.

Yet there are some encouraging developments as well. The latest
nutritional survey by our colleagues at UNICEF show that we have been
able to block a rise in malnutrition among children under five. Thus
far, more than 620,000 tons of emergency food has been distributed to
more than 10 million people in the region. Donors have been very
generous, especially the United States, European Union, the United
Kingdom, and Germany.

The GM food issue has faded and is no longer delaying and disrupting
deliveries. Five of the six countries needing aid in southern Africa
are accepting processed and milled GM foods. We simply could not have
reached the level of food deliveries we have now attained without the
constructive problem solving undertaken.

But it would be foolish to say this crisis is over. Crop prospects are
better, but more droughts are forecast and we are confronted with the
real possibility of a permanent, low-grade food crisis created by AIDS.
Women and girls are especially hard-hit by the disease, accounting for
60 percent of the cases and in Africa eight out of ten farmers are
women. The impact is obvious. Right now all the UN agencies who have
been involved in this humanitarian effort -- UNICEF, FAO, WHO, OCHA,
UNDP and WFP -- are working on both short and long term strategies to
address the impact of this pandemic on issues like governance, social
services, and the food economy.

WFP remains especially concerned about Zimbabwe where there have been
numerous media reports that food assistance is being politicized. We
are confident that this is not the case for our food and in the few
instances where we have received credible reports of abuse we suspended
those operations, I have met with President Mugabe a number of times
and we have offered the services of the UN to monitor and verify the
food being distributed by the government there, but have not yet
received a positive response. Inflation, government monopolization of
the food sector and the impact of the land redistribution scheme likely
mean that the food situation will not stabilize any time soon in
Zimbabwe. Our goal is not to politicize, but to depoliticize food aid
in Zimbabwe. Food should be available to all based on humanitarian
principles with any other consideration being inappropriate. That is
the case everywhere we work. Hungry people cannot afford to be caught
in political crossfire. There are those who would have us pull out in
crisis situations to punish governments and take a stand on political
or human rights issues. But WFP believes that emergency aid simply
cannot be politicized -- for good or ill.

When people in power, be they government or rebels, deny food aid to
certain vulnerable groups of the population, we will speak out. While
we see our role as neutral and much like the Red Cross and Red Crescent
Societies, our member states have also asked us to be advocates for the
hungry. That has put us on a tightrope and in a perpetual balancing
act. When governments take economic actions such as banning private
trade or monopolizing food imports that undermine the food sector and
exacerbate hunger, our member states expect us to speak out and we will.

* What do you think about the statements made by James Morris on Iraq?
How do you feel about the fact that enormous amounts of money have been
spent on invading Iraq, when a fraction of that money could have been
used to save lives in Africa? What are your thoughts about the fact
that because Iraq has been destroyed by 12 years of sanctions and
bombings, billions will be needed to rebuild it, diverting much needed
aid away from Africa? Send your comments to [log in to unmask]

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
2.CONFLICT, EMERGENCIES, AND CRISES

AFRICA: WAR ON IRAQ WILL HAVE NEGATIVE IMPACT, SAYS AFRICA ACTION
http://afriscoperadio.com/afriscopeweekly/leadstory32803.htm
Three African nations, Angola, Cameroon and Guinea, found themselves on
center stage at the United Nations Security Council before
international diplomacy failed and the U.S. led a "coalition of the
willing" to war with Iraq. These three countries withstood intense
pressure from the Bush Administration to support its impending military
action against Iraq. How were these countries able to withstand
superpower pressure? Afriscope Weekly interviewed Salih Booker, Africa
Action's executive director, who says the Bush Administration is more
focused on victory in Iraq than on "Africa's urgent priorities."

ANGOLA: THE ROOTS OF CONFLICT
www.wmd.org/documents/RootsofConflictInAngola.doc
Rafael Marques, an Angolan journalist currently working for the Open
Society Initiative for Southern Africa in Angola, presented a paper at
a Conference on Conflict and External Interferences in Barcelona last
year. In the paper, Marques explores the causes of the Angolan conflict
by observing that numerous failed peace agreements perpetuated and
nurtured the conflict instead of helping to resolve it. He further
states that the illegitimacy of power, internal contests for power,
ethnic divisions, corrupt elites, social fragmentations, and colonial
and Cold War legacies contribute to the continued conflict.

BURUNDI: HUNDREDS REPORTED KILLED IN EASTERN BURUNDI FIGHTING
http://www.gvnews.net/html/DailyNews/alert3984.html
An independent radio station in Burundi, African Public Radio, reported
that around 440 civilians have been killed in fighting in the eastern
province of Ruyigi since January.

BURUNDI: SOUTH AFRICAN TROOPS START FOR BURUNDI
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304090090.html
The first South African troops forming part of a peace support mission
to Burundi were due to leave for that country Wednesday, the SA
National Defence Force said on Tuesday. They are to be accompanied by
Major General Sipho Binda, the first commander of the African Union
mission, which would also comprise troops from Mozambique and Ethiopia.
Binda is to command a force of about 3200 soldiers, the SANDF said in a
statement.

DRC: CONFLICT WORSE SINCE WW2
http://www.theirc.org/index.cfm?section=news&wwwID=1704
The four and a half year war in the Democratic Republic of Congo has
taken more lives than any other since World War II and is the deadliest
documented conflict in African history, says the International Rescue
Committee. A mortality study released this week by the IRC estimates
that since August 1998, when the war erupted, through November 2002
when the survey was completed, at least 3.3 million people died in
excess of what would normally be expected during this time.

DRC: THE LOST WORLD WAR
http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/newsletter/issue13/issue13_part3.htm
Either side of an 1800 mile front-line, a country the size of western
Europe with a population no larger than Englandıs has been carved up by
warring factions and foreign armies from nine different countries,
leaving millions dead or homeless. What little infrastructure dictator
Mobutu Sese Seko did not wreck during his three decades of misrule has
mostly been destroyed by fighting, or has finally succumbed to neglect.
The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is possibly the most mineral
rich place on earth ­ though this has proved a curse to the people of
the Congo. The Congo holds millions of tons of diamonds, copper,
cobalt, zinc, manganese, uranium (the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima
and Nagasaki were built using Congolese uranium), and coltan. Coltan, a
substance made up of columbium and tantalum, is a particularly valuable
resource ­ used to make mobile phones, night vision goggles, fiber
optics, and micro-capacitors. The war on Iraq, says this article in the
latest Corporate Watch newsletter, is not the only war in the world and
it is not the only war being fought for our material benefit. Western
consumers' seemingly insatiable demand for mobile phones, laptops,
games consoles and other luxury electronic goods has been fuelling
violent conflict and killing millions in the Democratic Republic of
Congo.
Related Links:
*A Past that Haunts the Future
http://web.amnesty.org/web/wire.nsf/April2003/Congo
* Kgame Denies DRC Troop Prescence
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33349

DRC: UGANDA MUST PROTECT CIVILIANS IN ITURI
Ugandan forces and their allies must prevent the killing of civilians
in Ituri in northeastern Congo, Human Rights Watch said in an open
letter to President Museveni of Uganda this week after information of
yet another massacre of civilians surfaced over the weekend. The
killing of civilians in Drodro and Blukwa in Ituri, northeastern
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on April 3 is the latest in a surge
of killings and other serious human rights abuses that have taken place
in the area.
Related Link:
* Report says 996 die in Massacre
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=515&ncid=723&e=3&u=/
ap/20030406/ap_on_re_af/congo_killings
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=14351

IVORY COAST: REBELS, GOV'T TROOPS CLASH
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=515&ncid=723&e=2&u=/
ap/20030408/ap_on_re_af/ivory_coast
Government and rebels battled in Ivory Coast's western borderlands
Monday, threatening the stability of a unity government days after the
insurgents joined it.

UGANDA: LRA REPORTEDLY DEMANDS UNCONDITIONAL CEASEFIRE
The rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) has reportedly said the Ugandan
government must declare an unconditional ceasefire before it will
nominate a peace negotiating team.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=14467
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

3.RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY

ANGOLA: THE CHOICE: REFORM OR REGRESS
http://www.crisisweb.org
For the first time since independence, economic and political reform
has become a strategic imperative for the government of Angola.
Elections and the desire to enhance its image after four decades of war
are important motivations. But reform will not come quickly and
requires a long-term strategy of international engagement. This report
from the International Crisis Group sets out policies to encourage a
democratic post-war transition and fiscal transparency - especially in
the oil sector.

BURUNDI: OPPOSITION LEADER RELEASED FROM HOUSE ARREST
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33303
The Burundian government said last Friday it had released Jean Baptiste
Bagaza, the leader of the suspended Tutsi opposition Parti pour le
redressement national (PARENA), from house arrest. Bagaza, a former
president of Burundi, was placed under house arrest in November 2002
for allegedly plotting to kill President Pierre Buyoya.

DRC: KABILA SWORN IN AS HEAD OF TRANSITIONAL GOVERNMENT
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33334
President Joseph Kabila was sworn in as the interim head of state of
the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) at a ceremony in the
capital, Kinshasa, on Monday, news agencies reported. Kabila will
preside over a transitional government to be formed soon for a two-year
period, leading up to democratic elections.
Related Link:
* Rebels Declare Inauguration Invalid
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33373

IVORY COAST: OFFICES OF HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANISATION RANSACKED
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304070811.html
The offices of an Ivorian human rights organisation, the Mouvement
Ivoirien des Droits Humains (MIDH), were ransacked on Saturday by two
armed men in plain clothing, MIDH sources told IRIN. According to the
sources, the men went to the organisation's offices in the high-income
Abidjan neighbourhood of Deux Plateaux a few minutes after the
secretary arrived and asked her for an MIDH document issued on the
previous day. They beat her up when she said she was not aware of the
document, searched the premises for about 45 minutes and took some
documents away.

MALI: RIGHTS COMMITTEE LAUDS PROGRESS, BUT VOICES SOME CONCERNS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33389
A multilateral human rights committee has praised Mali for progress
made in the area of human rights but has asked it to provide
information on various issues, including developments since the end of
a rebellion by Tuareg nomads in the 1990s in the north of the country.

NIGERIA: ELECTION SEEN AS LITMUS TEST FOR NEPAD
http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?a=37&o=18427
When Nigeria, proud holder of the title of the most populous nation in
Africa, goes to the polls this weekend it will be watched keenly from
across a troubled continent, analysts say. "For the outside world,
including Africa, a successful election in Nigeria suggests that we are
heading in the right direction," says John Adeleke, head of the World
Trade Centre Association's Nigeria office.

NIGERIA: GOVERNMENT AND OIL FIRMS SHOULD ACT ON DELTA VIOLENCE
The Nigerian government and multinational oil companies should take
immediate measures to prevent further violence and abuses around Warri
in the oil-rich Niger delta, Human Rights Watch has said in letters to
President Olusegun Obasanjo and the managing directors of three
companies. Since March 13, 2003, clashes between the Ijaw and Itsekiri
ethnic groups in the Niger delta have claimed scores of lives. Human
Rights Watch has received reports of government security forces firing
indiscriminately on Ijaw villages, resulting in dozens of deaths.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=14404

NIGERIA: INEC NAMES 6 TROUBLE-SPOT STATES
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304090353.html
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has identified six
states - Bayelsa, Delta, Plateau, Nassarawa, Rivers and Taraba as
potential trouble spots in the forthcoming general elections beginning
this weekend.

NIGERIA: MILLIONS WON'T VOTE, SAYS INEC
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304070070.html
No fewer than seven million Nigerians who hope to vote in the general
elections which begin on Saturday would be unable to do so as the
nation's apex electoral body, the Independent National Electoral
Commission (INEC), voided their application. INEC chairman Abel
Guobadia said a total of 7,069,740 prospective voters who participated
in the last registration exercise had been disqualified.

NIGERIA: SPIRALING VIOLENCE THREATENS ELECTIONS
An upsurge of politically motivated violence is threatening the
legitimacy of impending elections in Nigeria, Human Rights Watch has
charged in a 39-page report, ³Testing Democracy: Political Violence in
Nigeria,² which documents numerous cases of political violence across
Nigeria and discusses the weak response by government and police to
date. Starting with local government primaries for the ruling Peopleıs
Democratic Party (PDP) in 2002, Nigeria has seen an increase in violent
clashes between political factions led by politicians and their
supporters at all levels of government.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=14426

NIGERIA: THE IMPORTANCE OF NIGERIA'S ELECTIONS
Briefing Document From The Centre For Democracy And Development
http://www.cdd.org.uk/
With a population of over 120 million and many expatriate communities
across the globe, the largest economy in West Africa, and great
political importance in the region, the African continent, and the
global stage, events which affect the stability and future of Nigeria
affect the entire world. Elections, interrupted as they have been by
periods of military dictatorship, have always contained potential for
civil unrest, and so the good conduct of the forthcoming polls is a
matter not only of international concern but also of symbolic
importance for the citizens of Nigeria. This is according to a briefing
on the upcoming 2003 Nigerian elections from the Centre for Democracy
and Development, which provides a history of the politics in the
country and examines other issues that include health, human rights and
the environment.

NIGIRIA: 50-MAN ELECTION MONITORING TEAM ARRIVES
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304090498.html
A 50-man team of election observers from 11 countries in Africa, Europe
and North America has arrived in Nigeria for the forthcoming state and
federal elections beginning this weekend, the National Democratic
Institute announced.

RWANDA: THE GENOCIDE REMEMBERED
This week marked the ninth anniversary of the Rwandan genocide, in
which over the course of 100 days in 1994, beginning April 7, up to a
million people were killed in a government-orchestrated ethnic
cleansing campaign.
(http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,6119,2-11-
1447_1343628,00.html) As part of its work in monitoring the
implementation of the gacaca trials, a traditional system of justice
being used to bring those involved in the killings to justice, the
human rights organisation African Rights has compiled a written record
of the history of the 1994 genocide in 12 original pilot sectors. This
first report is devoted to sector Gishamvu, Nyakizu district in Butare,
which began hearings in June 2002. Based upon the collective testimony
given by groups of residents who were present during the genocide -
prisoners, survivors and local people who witnessed how the killings
unfolded - the report aims to reflect a broad consensus on what
happened. Click on the link provided for an extract from the report,
information on the work of African Rights, a listing of publications
from African Rights and their contact details.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=14442

SOMALIA: NO ELECTIONS IN DISPUTED REGIONS, PUNTLAND SAYS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33338
There will be no elections in the disputed regions of Sool and Sanaag
when Somaliland holds its presidential polls next week, according to
the neighbouring self-declared autonomous region of Puntland.

SUDAN: DEBATE ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS STATUS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=33279
Sudan's human rights status should not be "upgraded" by the United
Nations Human Rights Commission, said the Cairo-based Sudan Human
Rights Organisation (SHRO). SHRO said it was "deeply stressed" that the
commission might "upgrade" Sudan's status from an item 9, which
mandates a special rapporteur to the country, to an item 19, which
provides UN technical assistance, such as human rights training. The
commission is due to take a vote on the matter on 16 April.

SWAZILAND: GROUP TO PICKET OVER RIGHTS VIOLATIONS
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/southern_africa/0,1009,56453,00.html
Swaziland Solidarity Network (SSN), the civil society umbrella group,
says that it plans to picket in South Africa next week against human
rights violations in its country. Bongani Masuku, the SSN
secretary-general, said in Johannesburg that the demonstration would be
held outside the Swaziland consulate, in Braamfontein, on April 12.
"Gross violation of human rights, strategic intimidation tactics
perpetrated by the government on the judiciary, and suppression of
women in Swaziland, have reached a stage where they are unbearable," he
said.

TOGO: FORUM CALLS FOR ELECTION BANK IN AFRICA
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304090746.html
The over 120 observers who attended a 3-day Forum on the Electoral
Process in Africa have suggested the establishment of a common
elections development bank into which all African countries will
contribute material and financial resources to promote the independent
financing of elections on the continent. They suggested that this will
"help reduce over dependence on foreign aid for elections which, in
some cases, goes a long way to compromise 'the sovereignty of African
nations."

ZIMBABWE: DOCTORS CONDEMN UPSURGE IN VIOLENCE
"In Harare alone, more than 250 victims of violence have been seen and
treated at the Emergency Departments in the City. More than 30 required
admission for severe injuries, some requiring orthopaedic surgery. All
the victims examined had physical injuries consistent with the
histories given, which were of severe beatings and torture. To date
about 200 people are known still to be in police custody, many with
untreated injuries. Some of those tortured were electrocuted using
wires attached to parts of the body, including the genitalia. Two women
were assaulted with a rifle in their vaginas," according to a statement
from The Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights, which noted
with concern the increase of political violence in March.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=14422

ZIMBABWE: REPORT ADDS TO MUGABE'S ISOLATION
http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?a=37&o=18426
Robert Mugabe's government has committed severe human rights abuses
against the opposition party, has actively repressed the press and the
judiciary and is largely responsible for the famine that is currently
gripping Zimbabwe, according to a Commonwealth report distributed to
heads of government this week.
Related Links:
* SADC Grills Mudenge
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304040682.html
* Opposition Leadership Face Crackdown
http://allafrica.com/stories/200304080601.html

ZIMBABWE: ZANU PF IN PANIC, PARADES OWN YOUTH MILITIA TO DECEIVE THE
WORLD
Statement By Professor Welshman Ncube, MDC Secretary General
Zanu PF and the Mugabe regime are clearly in a state of desperate
panic. They are failing to find ways to challenge the moral authority
and increasing popularity of the MDC. The success of the recent two-day
stay away demonstrated that the MDC in the eyes of the people is the
legitimate authority in Zimbabwe. The landslide victories by the MDC in
the Kuwadzana and Highfield by-elections was symptomatic of the scale
to which Mugabe and Zanu PF have been rejected by the people of
Zimbabwe. When the people of Zimbabwe think of Zanu PF they think of
hunger, insecurity and violence.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=14429