GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:47:37 -0400

In every nation's history and in their unique ways, ordinary citizens are levitated to prominency and leadership by buoyant national forces which they themselves cannot resist. They will cary the voices of all the nation in an osmotic esprit de corps. Such ordinary citizens become the gallant men
and women of their own histories. The shoulders they will lean on are those of their fellw citizens whose bidding they do. WHose hopes and desires are mitred to their epaules. Whose virtues and yearnings nurture their legs firm underneath the moment. Swaying in arrogant defiance. Against the tides of
tramsmorgue. Haruna.

GMC Statement on July 22 Anniversary: A Day of Infamy

Published 07/20/2009 - 7:23 a.m. GMT

GMC Party Leader, Mai Fatty

A Day of Infamy

Like the unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbour against U. S sovereignty by the Imperial army of Japan, July 22nd 1994 will be remembered in Gambian history as a Day of Infamy. On this date, fifteen brutal years ago, a dour epoch of impunity was foisted upon a peace loving people. Freedom and opportunity were violently banished, and a new era of malignant political ruse asphyxiates a nation into political comatose. All semblance of the rule of law, good governance and personal dignity have been conflagrated by the voracious inferno of tyranny and absolutism.

July 22nd 1994 is an insipid aide memoire of the day we lost our sovereignty to fear; the day that our Republic was sacrilegiously desecrated; the day our=2
0Nation was mortgaged to marauding political cultism; the day our national character was contaminated and the day a life of poignant palpitation was frosted upon a respectable and healthy population.

July 22nd represents a day of obliteration when men of God (imams and community leaders) were conditioned by compelling political circumstances to defy their good conscience to strut a profligate regime and in the process became barren of moral authority to preach God’s Scriptures; a day that imposed a reign of corporeal horror against free press, labour, liberal professions, judiciary, parliament and any creature that has the capacity for independent thought, discretion and dissention. It is a day that reminds us of the massacre of school children as they express their legitimate rights to protest; a day that armed soldiers stormed the Independent Newspaper premises and incinerated it beyond rage (according to then M.P Hon. Hamat Bah speaking in Parliament), and yet to be denied.

July 22nd reminds us of the gruesome murder of Mr. Koro Ceesay, Deyda Hydara, Chief Ebrima Manneh, etc, among a long list of unsolved murders; a day many Gambian mothers continue to weep blood and wallow in solitary agony hoping against hope for the return of their sons that shall never be; a day that reminds many Gambian women of how they allegedly became widows, and children who would grow up never to see Daddy alive again; a day that reminds many families of their tortuous graduation from the infamous Mile 2 university and for=2
0some from the permanent ghostly nightmare of the notorious NIA Bambadinka (crocodile ditch).

July 22nd is a day of mourning; of the demise of our individuality; the death of our national spirit; a day that uncertainty conclusively took control over the colony of Gambian civil and public services; the usurpation of economic freedom and the institutionalisation of traveaux force – when the President delights in free(?) manual labour of all manner of Gambians to swell his personal agrarian empire for personal profit. It calls to mind the propensity to turn a nation into one person’s private estate, and it’s resources one person’s family fortune; a day when speech of this nature provokes the usual monolithic response and slammed with feckled seditious construction. It’s a day when democracy was violently raped and the slogan “I will kill you and bury you six-feet-deep” became the new governance phrase. It’s a day that turned the fundamental premise of service to God and nation on its head. It’s a day that continues to force mass exodus of citizens into both mental asylum and political exile.

However, July 22nd should now be an opportunity to reverse the cancer that malaise our Republic; an opportunity to take the gauntlet and restore the balance; an opportunity for all Gambians to turn the tide by all justifiable means necessary!! It is opportunity to confront head on the fangs of fear and impunity; to comprehensively defeat once and for all the menace
of terror. It is opportunity for sober reflection; to execute a critical operation to cease the feast of the gluttonous termites by all justifiable devices necessary.

It is opportunity for the unconditional unity of all political forces. GMC is ready and willing to join an authentic coalition or alliance for durable change, and its Leadership is instantly ready to cede authority to such coalition or alliance for the good of the Nation. GMC is instantly ready to initiate, co-sponsor, or host such a forum in any jurisdiction in the interest of our country and peoples. We call on all public and subterranean parties in the political process to dialogue with us ([log in to unmask]) with a view to collectively salvaging our Nation.

July 22nd, like Pearl Harbour, must never be permitted to survive. Just as the peoples of the United States resolved to tackle the tsunami of Japanese imperialism, so must Gambians concertedly but decisively vanquish this existential threat. To achieve this very noble cause, we must each be ready and willing to put into instant practical use all manner of proficiencies we are individually and collectively endowed with. Impeccable organisation, vigilance of a tiger, flawless planning, and tact of a serpent are indispensable elements of success, and must always be factored in. This call is a fundamental religious duty; it is a patriotic obligation; a gallant demonstration of decency; a rare heroic journey; a privileged commitment and the most sublime of efforts. You are invincible and your=2
0Mission is ordained. Duty is a call that MUST be answered!! Go forth with serenity, bearing in mind that all that is Divine and Pure shall stand by The Gambian Nation and succour your actions till victory!!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!! LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC OF THE GAMBIA!!

Wandifa Sanneh (S-G)
GMC Senegal Chapter

(Issued with the permission of the GMC National Secretariat)