GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:53:53 -0000
Alieu,

The Gamcel GSM does support roaming. However, I understand that roaming will
only be made available to customers in a few months time. The other
facilities also mentioned by others such as the small message service are
also available. I also understand that Gamcel have signed roaming agreement
with two companies whose membership runs into several dozen operators. As
Yus pointed out, the main benifit of a GSM service is its roaming facility
and as such this was the main motivating factor for launching the GSM
service in the Gambia.

With regards to roaming between Gambia and Senegal, I understand that this
will not be done. I understand that the main reason is that it will be
cheaper for the citizens of both countries to secure SIM cards from the host
country and use it with your set when you travel to that country. In the
Gambia, SIM cards cost D300.00 if you buy your set from Gamcel or you are an
existing Gamtel analogue customer and D500.00 if you buy your set from
elsewhere. The scratch cards used to replenish your prepaid units are in
denominations of D50.00, D100.00, D150.00 and D300.00. The D50.00 and
D100.00 cards allow you to receive calls up to 60 days even when all your
units have expired. The other denominations allow you to continue to receive
calls up to 90 days after the expiry of your cards.

Mr. Gai thanks for the clarification on the congestion issue complained by
some. It is very unjust to suggest that Gamtel's services are deteriorating.
As a matter of fact there is no place in the Gambia where you will have to
travel more than 12 KMs without having access to a phone, fax or internet
service. It is also a fact that Gamtel has ranked in the first 3 best
operators in Africa for the past ten years. The only countries that have
ever surpassed Gamtel has been South Africa and Botswana. I hope the
additional info will be of some help.

Have a good day and bye 4Now, KB Jobe.