GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:42:38 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/2002 4:04:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  The least
> the Government should do at this moment is to show solidarity with the
> Senegalese army by controlling our border with Cassamance and making sure
> that no attack is launched from the Gambian territory by MFDC.
>
> I think the most security threat is not the opposition but the Government
> itself
> allowing MFDC to have  a kind of safe heaven in the country. What use has
> the
> recent tour of country by the vice President if they close their eyes to
> the
> Cassamance equation.

Brother Mo,

This is exactly the point. It is the government of Yaya Jammeh that has been
meddling in the Casamance issue and fanning the fire. They are no peace
makers when it comes to this issue, but rather contributors to the problem by
encouraging and aiding the rebels. I think Jammeh's allegiance is ot teh
Casamance rebels and he needs to move ver there and take up a leadership
position before his meddling brings about war between us and Senegal and
Allah knows we cannot afford forthat to happen. How many Gambians have
relatives in Senegal and vice versa, and the last thing The Gambia needs ia a
war with anyone. The people are already fighting a war of survival on a daily
basis as it is under Yaya Jammeh's rule. Any conflict between Gambia and
Senegal will be the direct responsibility of Yaya Jammeh and his role in this
Casamance dispute.

Jabou Joh