GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fye Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 13:33:29 +0200
   -

   - Print <http://observers.france24.com/print/582551?print=now>
   - 1
   <http://observers.france24.com/content/20140902-morocco-tangiers-attacks-immigrants-black-africans#comments>
   - Send this page
   <http://observers.france24.com/forward?path=node%2F582551>

02/09/2014 / MOROCCO
 Black Africans in Tangiers targeted by racist raids and machete attacks

   - photo <http://observers.france24.com/category/type_article/photo>
   - video <http://observers.france24.com/category/type_article/video>
   - illegal migrants
   <http://observers.france24.com/category/tags/illegal-migrants-0>
   - racism <http://observers.france24.com/category/tags/racism>

Black Africans protest reoccuring violence against them in the streets of
Tangiers. Photo by Yassine Lachiri forTanja 24.com <http://www.tanja24.com/>

A spate of violent stabbings took place this week in the Boukhalef
neighbourhood of Tangiers, a residential area primarily populated by
undocumented black Africans waiting to immigrate to Europe. Several
residents, shaken up by the attacks, shared their experience with FRANCE 24…

 This video shows some of the violence that took place in Boukhalef on the
night of August 29. The video was uploaded to the TVCHOT
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZjSVU9hK-M> account on YouTube.

According to several witnesses contacted by FRANCE 24, the attacks took
place on Friday in the Boukhalef neighbourhood at the edge of Tangiers.
Although the attackers were not identified, all of the persons targeted
were black Africans, most of them undocumented. According to the Tangiers
police, fourteen people were injured and one Senegalese national was found
with his throat slit close to the area of the attacks. On an amateur video
uploaded to Facebook, this victim can be seen lying on the ground in a pool
of his own blood.

A video shared widely on Facebook shows the Senegalese national who lost
his life in the violence that occurred on August 29. Photo Yassine Lachiri
for Tanja24.com <http://www.tanja24.com/>

You can see the video by following this link
<https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203724898620558&set=vb.1160843611&type=2&theater>
. *Warning: you may find the images shocking*.
 CONTRIBUTORS

Daouda T. <http://observers.france24.com/profile/284975>

Konaté Caminando <http://observers.france24.com/profile/284976>
 'They burned my money and my possessions; I’ve got nothing left, and I’m
scared of returning to Boukhalef'Daouda (not his real name) is an
undocumented Ivorian national seeking to immigrate to Spain. He suffered a
head injury during Friday night’s attack. He is now recovering in the
Mohamed V hospital in Tangiers.

I was in the Boukhalef neighbourhood with some of my friends, when suddenly
we saw some black people running in our direction and shouting, ‘Run, Arabs
are coming!’. Further on, we could see some people wearing djellabas, some
had covered their faces. They were throwing rocks, and they had machetes
and knives. I tried to run away, but I was hit in the head by a rock and
passed out. I woke up in the hospital. I have a large laceration on my head
and I was also slashed on my back.

I fled Ivory Coast four years ago, and I’ve been living in Tangiers for the
last three months. Some friends had suggested I come live with them in
Boukhalef. I didn’t have many options: housing was either too expensive, or
the landlords didn’t want black tenants.

Yesterday, my friends called to let me know that the attackers had broken
into our flat and destroyed everything. I didn’t have much: only some
clothes, some photos and a small sum of money I earned by doing some
masonry jobs here and there. Everything went up in smoke. I’m afraid of
going back because I know it’ll happen again, and that next time, I won’t
survive.

 Black Africans living in Tangiers head to the town centre to protest in
front of the regional council for human rights. Video by Babacar N’diaye
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LEoPPD78cM>.

Daouda T. <http://observers.france24.com/profile/284975>
 'The attackers conflate the labels 'black', 'undocumented' and 'crime' all
together'Konaté (not his real name) works for Caminando Fronteras, a
Spanish organisation that provides humanitarian aid to immigrants in
Tangiers. He was having tea in the Boukhalef neighbourhood when the
violence broke out.

I was told I had to leave because I was black. I mean, I have a job, I’m
not undocumented. But when things heat up, that fact doesn’t make any
difference. It’s basically mob justice: the attackers accuse blacks of
being squatters, alcoholics, and the root of the crime problems in the
neighbourhood [Editor’s note: RFI has discussed the possibility that real
estate promoters are organising raids to cause migrant squatters to flee].
They say the authorities don’t take the problem seriously enough so they
have decided to chase them out themselves. They conflate the labels
“black”, “undocumented”, and “crime” all together, even though there are
many properly documented residents in Boukhalef who do pay rent.

These are organised groups with a leader that gives the orders. They mostly
go out on Friday, after the evening prayer, and they aim for their victims’
heads, which leads me to believe that they’re trying to kill them. They
sing racist chants in Arabic, such as “We don’t want to see these monkeys
here anymore” or “This is our holy war!”.

The worst part is that all of this unfolds in full view of the police, who
don’t intervene. On Friday, the Senegalese man was killed just a few metres
away from the Boukhalef police station. Victims whose apartments were
destroyed, or who were injured, had to wait hours before being able to make
a complaint with the police. Everything is set up to dissuade black
Africans from staying here.

Our Observer Konaté brought medecine to two injured Boukhalef residents, an
Ivorian national and a Senegalese national, who are recovering from the
attacks at Mohamed V Hospital in Tangiers. He took these photos of the two
injured men.

On Monday, a strong police presence could be felt in the streets of
Boukhalef. The Tangiers public prosecutor has announced the launch of an
in-depth investigation and claims to have arrested several people (both
several suspected assailants and several undocumented migrants) suspected
of being involved in the latest episode of violence on Friday evening. When
contacted on Monday by FRANCE 24 to discuss the issue, the regional council
for human rights, a subdivision of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was not
available for comment.

The Tangiers metropolitan area is home to over a thousand Sub-Saharan
immigrants waiting to travel to Spain, of whom about 800 are in the
Boukhalef neighbourhood. According to official statistics, there are over
30,000 undocumented migrants in Morocco.

This post was written with FRANCE 24 journalist Alexandre Capron (
@alexcapron <https://twitter.com/alexcapron>).

Konaté Caminando <http://observers.france24.com/profile/284976>
»

   - Add new comment
   <http://observers.france24.com/comment/reply/582551#comment-form>
   - عربية
   <http://observers.france24.com/ar/content/20140902-%D8%B7%D9%86%D8%AC%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D9%81%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%82%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B3%D9%88%D8%AF-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D9%86%D8%B5%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D9%87%D8%AC%D8%B1%D8%A9>

   - Français
   <http://observers.france24.com/fr/content/20140901-tanger-attaques-machette-noirs-africains-maroc-violence-racisme-migrants>

Comments
 shocking
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140902-morocco-tangiers-attacks-immigrants-black-africans#comment-704525>
Submitted
by Max Pen <http://observers.france24.com/profile/284317> on Tue,
02/09/2014 - 14:08.

You wouldn't get away with it in Belgium. But of course you can in that
country.

   - reply <http://observers.france24.com/comment/reply/582551/704525>
   - report abuse
   <http://moderatus.netino.com/clients/all/abuse.asp?origine=FOBEN&content_id=cid:704525&url=http%3A%2F%2Fobservers.france24.com%2Fcontent%2F20140902-morocco-tangiers-attacks-immigrants-black-africans>

 Search:

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140829-african-fashion-observers-hair-clothing>
Watch the Observers <http://www.france24.com/en/taxonomy/emission/19987>
<http://www.france24.com/en/taxonomy/emission/19987>

  FRANCE 24 PARTNERS
 Observers' Tips
[image: Video: Nine-year old girl loses control of Uzi, fatally shoots
instructor]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140827-video-girl-uzi-arizona-instructor>
UNITED STATES
Video: Nine-year old girl loses control of Uzi, fatally shoots instructor
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140827-video-girl-uzi-arizona-instructor>
 [image: Panic in Shanghai metro after man faints]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140821-panic-shanghai-metro-man-faints>
CHINA
Panic in Shanghai metro after man faints
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140821-panic-shanghai-metro-man-faints>
 [image: NYC Instagrammers climb to new – and perilous – heights]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140820-instagram-skyscraper-climb-bridge-heights>
UNITED STATES
NYC Instagrammers climb to new – and perilous – heights
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140820-instagram-skyscraper-climb-bridge-heights>
 [image: Beijing’s naked artist is back!]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140819-beijing-naked-running-artist-binyuan>
CHINA
Beijing’s naked artist is back!
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140819-beijing-naked-running-artist-binyuan>
 [image: #IfTheyGunnedMeDown… what picture would the media use?]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140813-twitter-hashtag-gunned-down-brown>
UNITED STATES
#IfTheyGunnedMeDown… what picture would the media use?
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140813-twitter-hashtag-gunned-down-brown>
 [image: How the Ebola virus outbreak could 'wreck' Liberia's economy]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140808-how-ebola-virus-outbreak-could-wreck-liberia-economy>
LIBERIA
How the Ebola virus outbreak could 'wreck' Liberia's economy
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140808-how-ebola-virus-outbreak-could-wreck-liberia-economy>
 [image: This dog serves customers at a cigarette shop in Tokyo]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140806-dog-serves-customers-cigarette-shop-tokyo>
JAPAN
This dog serves customers at a cigarette shop in Tokyo
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140806-dog-serves-customers-cigarette-shop-tokyo>
 [image: “Look at my hairy armpits!” The new selfies making the rounds in
China]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140805-%E2%80%9Clook-hairy-armpits%E2%80%9D-new-selfies-making-rounds-china>
CHINA
“Look at my hairy armpits!” The new selfies making the rounds in China
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140805-%E2%80%9Clook-hairy-armpits%E2%80%9D-new-selfies-making-rounds-china>
 [image: Far-right Israelis’ macabre chant: “Olé olé, Gaza is a cemetery!”]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140729-israel-chant-video-gaza-cemetery>
ISRAEL
Far-right Israelis’ macabre chant: “Olé olé, Gaza is a cemetery!”
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140729-israel-chant-video-gaza-cemetery>
 [image: ISIL Cats: The Twitter offensive of jihadists and their cuddly
kittens]
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140627-isil-cats-twitter-offensive-jihadists-kalishnakovs-cuddly-kittens>
ISIL Cats: The Twitter offensive of jihadists and their cuddly kittens
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140627-isil-cats-twitter-offensive-jihadists-kalishnakovs-cuddly-kittens>

   -
   - 1 of 95
   <http://observers.france24.com/content/20140902-morocco-tangiers-attacks-immigrants-black-africans?page=1>

Popular content

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140812-slavery-genital-mutilation-collective-marriage-fake-isis-images>
IRAQ / SYRIA
False images used to ‘prove’ slavery, genital mutilation under ISIS
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140812-slavery-genital-mutilation-collective-marriage-fake-isis-images>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140828-video-islamic-state-humiliate-execute-syrian-soldiers-tabqa-raqqa>
SYRIA
Video: Islamic State militants humiliate Syrian soldiers before their
execution
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140828-video-islamic-state-humiliate-execute-syrian-soldiers-tabqa-raqqa>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140807-report-alongside-kurdish-fighters-who-battle-jihadists-syria-0>
SYRIA
On the front lines with the Kurdish militia in Syria
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140807-report-alongside-kurdish-fighters-who-battle-jihadists-syria-0>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140805-%E2%80%9Clook-hairy-armpits%E2%80%9D-new-selfies-making-rounds-china>
CHINA
“Look at my hairy armpits!” The new selfies making the rounds in China
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140805-%E2%80%9Clook-hairy-armpits%E2%80%9D-new-selfies-making-rounds-china>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140805-video-israeli-soldiers-cheer-explosives-flatten-mosque-gaza>
PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES
Video: Israeli soldiers cheer as explosives flatten mosque in Gaza
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140805-video-israeli-soldiers-cheer-explosives-flatten-mosque-gaza>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140820-zombie-apocalypse-camp-training-survival>
UNITED STATES
Training for the zombie apocalypse: fun, games – and serious skills
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140820-zombie-apocalypse-camp-training-survival>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140814-veil-fields-rohani-mirzkhani-twitter-iran>
IRAN
With or without headscarf? Iranian press divided over maths prize winner
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140814-veil-fields-rohani-mirzkhani-twitter-iran>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140808-testimony-young-spaniard-fighting-%E2%80%98against-fascism%E2%80%99-ukraine>
UKRAINE
A young Spaniard fights ‘against fascism’ in Ukraine
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140808-testimony-young-spaniard-fighting-%E2%80%98against-fascism%E2%80%99-ukraine>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140807-how-iran-militia-uses-comic-strips-turn-people-western-behaviour>
IRAN
Comic strips: Iran militia's weapon in its war on sex, drugs and alcohol
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140807-how-iran-militia-uses-comic-strips-turn-people-western-behaviour>

<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140902-morocco-tangiers-attacks-immigrants-black-africans>
MOROCCO
Black Africans in Tangiers targeted by racist raids and machete attacks
<http://observers.france24.com/content/20140902-morocco-tangiers-attacks-immigrants-black-africans>
 Israel <http://observers.france24.com/category/tags/israel> Iraq
<http://observers.france24.com/category/tags/iraq> Iran
<http://observers.france24.com/category/tags/iran> Democratic Republic of