GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B. Sillah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:59:57 -0400
Here is some more information on GSM technology:

Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) Technology is used by all
BellSouth Mobility DCS markets, located in North Carolina, South Carolina,
eastern Tennessee and the Georgia coast.

Key features of GSM:
Use of SIM cards
System is digital
All phones are handheld
Operates in the 1900 MHz range frequency

Business practices associated with GSM include:
User information is stored on a microprocessor chip embedded into a plastic
card, or SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card.
SIM cards also serve as storage devices for quick number diaries and short
messages.
A PIN (Personal Identity Number) protects SIM cards, and for additional
security, if the PIN is incorrectly keyed three times, a higher-level
security number must be entered. This is the PUK (Personal Unlocking Code).
If the PUK is entered incorrectly 10 times the SIM card will be permanently
killed.
Some SIM card providers offer the capability to be updated over the common
air interface, or OTA (Over The Air). The GSM network uses a series of
pre-licensed algorithms to maintain security in order to complete the
process of authentication and radio path ciphering.
SIM cards offer the ability to store multiple mobile phone numbers
(MSISDNs). This is the mobile telephone number used by GSM/DCS networks and
is a new standard for digital communication signals over landline networks.

History:
Groupe Speciale Mobile (GSM) was formed in 1982 by a team in Europe.
Interest in this technology led to a GSM planning group of permanent staff
by 1986 with TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) as their chosen transport
method in 1987. The first commercial GSM System was released in Denmark in
1991, spurring worldwide interest. GSM soon became known as the Global