GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:32:19 EST
Kukeh,

Thanx for this advice. I think everyone should take heed. I had all kinds
of spoofing and headaches with my hotmail account not to mention the havoc
those  who work ay hotmail try to wreak on unsuspecting subscribers to make
money on  the side. I mean I would advise my friends and family never to get
hotmail  accounts or Juno (netzero) accounts for that matter. I don't have
that  experience with Yahoo, gmail, or any other free service yet and I've
had  accounts with all of them.

Galleh and Ndokeh, I think Kukeh is right that because of the high profile
nature of the two of you, your emails and any further information someone
can  glean from you, even information you may think is unimportant, is gold
to folk  who regularly prowl the net. There may be some of those folk who
subscribe in  the same networking communities like facebook, jhoos, etc. just
to mine  information. And I haven't even said anything about paypal.

Ndokeh I think you are overeacting a bit vis-a-vis not trusting Kukeh. We
must realise that Ellen itself although our host takes enormous steps to
preserve our privacies, is vulnerable to a tenacious and unsuspecting
criminal.  My tantrum against Laye was just that a tantrum although if Laye could he
would  curtail my posting privileges, if for nothing else, simply because I
do not  yield BDOIS any more value.

Anyway, I encourage us to look at Ellen's managers in a totally new light.
They are our partners. I don't think they would benefit much from our
abandonment of Ellen because of our distrust of them. They do volunteer to
manage the listserv for us. I do admire them and sometimes I keep thinking they
must have nerves of steel. Where else can you cuss a listmanager and remain
 favoured in that community? And whenever we feel aversed, it is best we
try  to hash it out right there and then. It is very easy for us to suspect
list  managers for infringement on our email privacy simply because they may
have  access to our subscription details. But I came to realise that if you
are high  profile like Galleh and Nderry, somebody is trying every day to be
you. Trust  me.

Haruna.

In a message dated 3/11/2010 12:35:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,