GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 20:29:10 +0100
Senegalese Football Hooligans Go On Rampage In DakarSenegalese Football Hooligans Go On Rampage In Dakar
February 8, 2000

DAKAR, Senegal (PANA) - The Nigerian ambassador to Senegal, Alhaji Sule Buba, has said the embassy has launched a protest to the Senegalese government over the vandalisation and looting of its property by suspected local football fans angered by their country's 2-1 defeat by Nigeria in a quarter-final match of the African Nations Cup in Lagos Monday.

"We are preparing a protest letter and details of the damaged and looted property to be submitted to the home government," he told PANA.

The ambassador, who was watching the match on TV with some of the staff, said barely 30 minutes after the match ended, the hoodlums, who came in successive waves, destroyed the gates and the security post of the embassy.

Others threw stones and missiles into the compound as they laid siege on the embassy until a detachment of policemen arrived in the wee hours of the morning.

The police were still guarding the premises Tuesday afternoon.

"We were forced to stay inside the embassy until two o'clock (0200 GMT)," Buba said.

In the high density residential and commercial area of Medina, at least five motor spare parts and barbers shops belonging to Nigerians were raided and looted by the suspected fans after they beat up the owners.

The president of the Nigerian Welfare Association, Miracle Ajah, said a number of people were injured but that no lives were lost.

Police response was slow and only came some 90 minutes after, one resident said.

"I have been living in Dakar for five years and have never before suffered from such a behaviour. I was surprised by such acts which, I am sure, will be condemned by the local authorities," another added.

The hooligans also attacked the entrance to the Zimbabwean embassy on the same street, saying the Zimbabwean referee, who handled the match, was against their team.

The spirited 'Lions' of Senegal maintained a 1-0 goal lead in the match up to the 85th minute when Nigeria drew level.

Another goal from the home side two minutes into extra time dashed their hopes to qualify for the semi-finals of the continental encounter.

Copyright © 2000 Panafrican News Agency. All Rights Reserved.