GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:57:30 -0600
   Are you of the opinion that the majority of the list members
   engage in this negative activity or a few?  Please clarify.

   Thanks

   Joe Sambou

Subject: Independent View
Author:  The Gambia and related-issues mailing list
<[log in to unmask]> at PO_EXTERNET
Date:    02/01/2000 1:06 AM

The following is a copy of the Independent's view of Gambia-L. Please read on

Independent View
Cease fire, Gambia-L
When the Gambia-L initiative was launched, it was for a        good purpose;
giving its users around the world a platform to exchange ideas and allow the
culture of free expression to blossom.  Now, the situation is not so good.  We
find that    this culture of free speech is not being used objectively.
Gambia-L has degenerated to a forum for abuse, targeting personalities instead
of ideas.  How different this is from the impression of the very first
dispatches urging users to adhere to the fine principles of intellectual
discourse in the web.      Then it was a positive thing.  However it seems the
fact that the number of users has increased ten fold has made it a    plaything
and negatively so.  Why this has happened is not easy to determine. Perhaps
users can help out.
Words like 'knave', 'brat' and 'imbecile' have unashamedly woven their way into
the writing of many Gambia-L users.        It is now a battleground where
personal feuds are settled. Sometimes bitter intellectual wrangling on the web
has climaxed to a point where contributors form groups pitted against each
other, even over the most trivial of issues.       Thus what might begin as a
promisingly healthy intellectual exchange is soon soiled with anger and
rudeness. The      result     is obvious hostility, hatred and sometimes
vendettas.
It is regrettable that Gambia-L is lending itself to a situation that will bring
its own undoing and that of its users.  We    believe that the net should not be
platform for quarrels and character assassination. Since it is for the
consumption of     the public, anything that goes in it should be tempered with
  the most reasonable and positive turn of mind.  Users should be responsible
enough to know that the best way to    intellectual maturity is the application
of restraint when confronted with emotionally charged situations.
There are no two ways about being responsible. If personal opinions of each
other could be kept away from Gambia-L, those who do not have an interest, time
or liking for these unhealthy exchanges would be attracted to it.
Contributors, in thoughts and ideas, should aim to bring      about positive
change. As Gambian's who 'talk' through the web, we should try not to be seen as
irresponsible and malicious on the international stage. Let us realise that it
is    not only Gambians who have access to Gambia-L. The impression we give to
others through what we write can be    very strong. We should blame none but
ourselves if we are seen in a bad light. Gambia-L users cease your fire.