GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:04:22 -0500

Friends, below is copy of Corinne's response. I was surprised to learn that Gambia is not one of the focus countries in west Africa for HRW due totally to limited personnel resources. I encourage Gambians everywhere to consider volunteering or working for such NGO's to ameliorate this condition. Verily, the wanton disappearances, illegal detentions, murders, and assasinations, and general absence of law and order will earn Gambia top-of-the-list for all Human Rights and Refugee agancies. I encourage all of us to assist HRW so that Gambia can become a focus country for the organisation. Corinne's letter begins now:

Dear Haruna,
I thank you on behalf of HRW for your email and the information provided below about Mr. Sanneh, and the efforts he has made on behalf of his community and Gambians in general. Very unfortunately - and entirely due to limited personnel resources - Gambia is not one of HRW''s focus countries in West Africa. While we maintain a 'watching brief' we have as yet not released any reports on the very worrying human rights conditions there. As such we are not in a position to meaningfully intervene on Mr. Sanneh's behalf. I wish him, you and the Gambian people the very best in the coming months. Thank you for your understanding.
Sincerely,
Corinne

Corinne DUFKA
Human Rights Watch