GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
amadou gai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:41:03 -0000
Katim,

      I believe the problem must Gambians abroad have in making a call to
the Gambia is not actually cause by Gamtel. I  also believe it is not due to
insufficient number of international circuits linking Gamtel to major
international carriers. The main problem is that most of those outside don't
use their telephones to call direct but instead rely on third party calling
card companies. These companies usually do not have enough circuit to
connect them to their carriers or most of the time their systems are down.
     To prove my point I will like you to try calling anywhere in the
Gambia, even the remotest village you know directly. I can tell you that the
probability of sucess will be above 90%.
       GSM in the Gambia can only be a welcome development especially to
those who had the experience of using the old analogue system. It is
nationwide hence enabling people to talk to their colleagues from anywhere
within the country and may be from neighbouring countries in the future.

   I don't know what our problem in attracting investors to the Gambia is
but I definatly know it is not lack of a relaible telecommunication system.
We have one of the best in Africa if not the world and Gamtel is also trying
to improve on the standards. Bravo to them.

   I have my political allegience but don't normally talk about it so I only
want to limit my discussion on GSM and Gamtel.

Have a nice day.
Gai.