GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:59:23 -0500
Sidi:
Thanks for mentioning Professor Haswell and her contribution and
friendship with The Gambia and Gambians.  She also made her mark. It was
only last night that Dr. Nyang and I were discussing, over the phone,
another friend of The Gambia, Professor David Gamble( who speaks
Mandinka and Wollof fluently).  Frankly, many scholars who are/were
friends of The Gambia come to mind.  Harry Gailey, the popular (Pa) Van
der Plas, Charlotte Quinn, who has written extensively on "The Mandingo
Kingdoms of Senegambia", Claude Welch, Jr., Peter Weil, who also wrote
on the "Mandinka Mansaya" and many more.

Please note that it is Professor Wiseman and not Arnold Hughes who was
diagnosed with cancer.  Also, accept my condolence on the passing of
your loved one.

Abdoulaye