GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 01:52:14 +0100
Hi Lamin!
Thanks for your reply. The essence of your first paragraphs do not
seem to disagree with what I wrote. You agreed that none can claim to
be ?speaking for the opposition segment of The Gambia, either in the
Diaspora, or in-country?. You also agreed that people can choose to be
silent and even take it further by deleting posts they are not
interested in. You further wrote with reference to the ?most outspoken
people? that ?logic again dictates that their views are properly viewed
as personal to them?. Indeed. However, the views of the less outspoken
are also personal to them. You are right that those that partake of
discussions are going to be more visible than those that remain
silent.

In your fifth paragraph, you made a couple of points with regard to the
alignment or not of the aspirations and opinions of Gambians on the
ground and those in the Diaspora.  These are:
- That the opinions and aspirations fully coincide
- That it is only the strategy of expression that differs due mainly to
the issue of proximity
On the first point, whilst there are some areas where such is correct,
there are others where there are differences. On the differences, one
of the most obvious is the issue of infrastructure and what constitutes
development. Ask the average Diaspora Gambian about the schools,
hospitals and other infrastructure built by Yaya and you would probably
get the response that these are white elephant projects. What is the
use of building hospitals without medicines and the qualified personnel
to man them? What is the use of building schools without books, without
qualified teachers etc.? Ask the average Gambian back home and the
response you get is ?waja ngeh ligaye?. This is what many Diaspora
Gambians hate to hear but that is the reality of what you hear in
Gambia. For many whose kids used to walk kilometers to go to school
carrying chairs etc., having a school built in their villages or towns
is a huge relief and is something that can be seen and touched.

The second point deals with the issue of strategy juxtaposed against
proximity. You opined that what the ?the Diaspora media and on line
commentators may say without the slightest bother, media and
commentators within the sovereign boundaries of The Gambia dare not
even contemplate.? I agree with you. Behind my keyboard, I can be Rambo
or whoever I want to be. I can even write with a pen name. I can write
whatever I write knowing well that I am thousands of miles away. The
average Gambian speaking his / her mind in Serrekunda or Banjul does
not have the privilege of distance. Given the Gambian attitude of if it
doesn?t affect me or my immediate family I don?t care, I think Diaspora
Gambians should leave the choice of expression of dissent to those who
may be in the line of fire should they choose to speak out. However, if
I sit in Stockholm knowing that I have no plans to go back home soon
and that I am beyond the reach of the authorities and say whatever I
like and expect someone in Banjul to make the same radical
pronouncements, I would not be fair to him / her.

You wrote:
?Are we right in assuming that the average "Samba or Demba" is
unconcerned about the human rights violations that are fixtures of
Gambian public life, that he believes Daba Marena and others escaped
whilst being transferred from Mile 2 Central Prisons to wherever,
notwithstanding being completely shackled?? I did not say that the
average Samba or Demba is ?unconcerned? about human rights. I wrote
that we accord democracy and human rights ?positions of necessity
discordant with those accorded them by the average Samba or Demba?, i.
e., the level of concern we attach to them is not the same level
attached to them by the average Gambian.  The same applies to the
economic hardships encountered by the average Gambian. When was the
last raucous post about the economic hardships Gambians go through on a
daily basis on either list? Someone forwards an article now and then
and the issue takes a rest yet we always talk about human rights and
democracy. If you go to Gambia, people talk about the economic
hardships on a daily basis and comment on human rights issues if
something dramatic happens like the arrest of Halifa or the Daba Marena
case you mentioned. If I agree with you that the average Gambian as you
contend ?embraces the view that Daba Marena's whereabouts is a
responsibility properly assigned to the Professor and his government?,
what has he / she done about it? Has he / she made strident demands for
restitution as has been made on the mailing lists? Why not?

I agree that ?there may be an argument for expediency in particular
circumstances, it should be rejected as a general philosophy of life.?
However, does your stating and my agreeing that this should not be the
status quo as it prevails make the average Gambian change his / her
attitude to ours? I don?t think so. Attitudinal change is a process
preceded or accompanied by a change in socialized behavioural patterns
and circumstance. The change that people wish will not take place
overnight just because they deem it urgent.

On Yus? comments, what he presented was a departure from his previous
positions and the prevailing view. As I stated, I cannot remember the
exact exchanges but what I got from them. If you go to Gambia, you
realize the importance people attach to tangible things like roads,
buildings etc. Some Diaspora Gambians brushing these off as white
elephant and unnecessary things whilst they are being provided as proof
of development is foolhardy on their part. That the APRC can point to
hospitals, schools, roads and other visible and tangible things whilst
some Diaspora Gambians point to intangible things gives the APRC a huge
advantage because they can always point to their proof of development.
What Yus presented as you reminded me provided a huge opportunity if it
was properly dealt with. If the essence of his argument was taken, i.
e., the necessity of providing tangible things, one could have adapted
it to suitable models. Instead of building a road or hospital (which
the opposition did not have the means or mandate to do), one could have
dug a well in some village that had water problems etc. However, since
Yus? proposals were thrashed, what do we have in their stead? Nothing.

There has indeed been a long history of talk about fence-sitting on
both lists. I also enjoy your posts. Have a good evening.
Buharry.