GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:31:10 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:50:55 -0800
From: charlotte utting <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] FW: PAMBAZUKA NEWS 46 - NEW NAME FOR
    KABISSA-FAHAMU-SANGONET NEWSLETTER / POVERTY AND RACISM: HUMAN RIGHTS AND
    DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA

----------
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:06:51 -0600 (CST)
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: PAMBAZUKA NEWS 46 - NEW NAME FOR KABISSA-FAHAMU-SANGONET NEWSLETTER
/ POVERTY AND RACISM: HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA

PAMBAZUKA NEWS 46 * 8171 SUBSCRIBERS
(formerly The Kabissa-Fahamu-Sangonet Newsletter)
A weekly electronic newsletter for social justice in Africa

CONTENTS: 1. Editorial, 2. Conflict, Emergencies, and Crises, 3. Rights and
Democracy, 4. Corruption, 5. Health, 6. Education and Social Welfare, 7.
Women and Gender, 8. Refugees and Forced Migration, 9. Racism and
Xenophobia, 10. Environment, 11. Media, 12. Development, 13. Internet and
Technology, 14. eNewsletters and Mailing Lists, 15. Fundraising, 16.
Courses, Seminars, and Workshops, 17. Advocacy Resources, 18. Jobs, 19.
Books and Arts, 20. Members Corner, 21. Letters and Comments

If you have e-mail access, you can get web resources listed in this
Newsletter by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the web
address (usually starting with http://) in the body of your message.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

1.EDITORIAL

PAMBAZUKA NEWS– NEW NAME FOR KABISSA-FAHAMU-SANGONET NEWSLETTER
We are pleased to announce a new name for the newsletter jointly produced
by Kabissa, Fahamu and SANGONeT. Like you, we have found the existing name
a mouthful – it says little about what we stand for. After much searching,
we have decided to call the newsletter PAMBAZUKA NEWS. Pambazuka is the
Kiswahili word for dawn, or getting light. For us, the name represents the
new dawn that we aspire to, a region based on social justice and respect
for human dignity.

This newsletter began as a joint venture of Kabissa and Fahamu, and has
grown to involve SANGONeT. We are already in the process of developing
collaborations with other organisations with similar aims, and we hope that
in the coming period the alliance around Pambazuka News will grow. As more
organisations cooperate in the production of this newsletter, it is
important that the name reflects our goals.

This newsletter has grown extraordinarily fast. In less than a year the
number of subscribers has grown from 700 to more than 8,000. Its readership
is, we know, much larger. Many of you print out and share the newsletter
with your colleagues. The content of the newsletter is reproduced on a
number of websites. It has become an important forum for discussion and
debate of major social issues of concern in Africa. Many organisations have
adopted the newsletter as a vehicle for their own work and for sharing
their experiences and views. Above all, this newsletter has helped those
with difficulty in accessing the worldwide web to keep abreast with what is
available. It is estimated that there are currently more than 3 million
internet users in Africa. We believe we are only reaching a tiny proportion
of those internet users who share the goals and values of Pambazuka. How do
we reach more such people? What can you do to help?

As well as changing the name, we propose to introduce a number of
improvements to the newsletter in the new year. The new name heralds,
therefore, also a new dawn – Pambazuka – for the newsletter itself. With
your help, we hope that Pambazuka News will continue to grow to serve
better the needs of those seeking social justice in Africa.

As a result of the name change, there will be a number of address changes:
* You can read the newsletter online at http://www.pambazuka.org
* The editors can be reached at [log in to unmask]
* You can unsubscribe by writing to [log in to unmask]
Please change your addressbook and bookmarks accordingly. Pambazuka will
pause publication on 20 December and resume on 10 January.

Tobias Eigen (Kabissa), Firoze Manji (Fahamu), Alan Finlay (SANGONeT)

POVERTY AND RACISM: HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA
Celebration Of International Human Rights Day
http://www.unhchr.ch/huricane/huricane.nsf/view01/12EAF4FC6EA97257C1256B1E00
5ABB25?opendocument
Keynote address by Mary Robinson, United Nations High Commissioner for
Human Rights

Today 10 December, marks the date in 1948 when the General Assembly of the
United Nations proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The
Declaration, which set out ideals and targets calling for recognition and
respect for all human rights - civil, political,economic,social and
cultural, for all human beings in the world, can claim to be the most
influential text ever adopted by the United Nations.

It is true that most of Africa was not represented in the United Nations at
that time. But I recall Nelson Mandela's account during his trial of first
hearing of the proclamation of the Universal Declaration in 1948. It filled
him with hope at a dark time for his people when the Nationalist government
of South Africa was consolidating Apartheid. When African peoples achieved
self -determination and joined the United Nations they embraced the
Universal Declaration. They went on to reflect its principles in their own
African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights. They also ratified the main
international human rights instruments. African countries have helped shape
many of those instruments.

Indeed, it is not very well known history that it is to newly independent
Africa, and more broadly the developing world, that we owe a number of the
major innovations in the international legal protection of human rights of
the 20thcentury.

It was the determination of the new African and Asian nations of the United
Nations in the 1960's to end Apartheid in South Africa that shaped the long
UN campaign against racism. When you view the struggle for equality as
underscoring the entire human rights movement - as I do - this critical
role assumes yet more importance. It led to the International Convention on
the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination, of 1965, one of the
cornerstones of all international human rights treaties. The struggle
against Apartheid at the international level also laid the foundations for
the current capacity of the UN machinery to intervene and intercede over
many other human rights violations across the world. This is a debt the
world owes to Africa but which is not often recognised.

We also owe our thinking on the relationship between development and human
rights largely to countries of the South and their determination to make
the ideals of human rights relevant to their situation. When the newly
independent countries of the 1960s and 1970s joined the United Nations,
they took the promise of universal human rights principles and insisted
that they were applied to the conditions of their peoples. Despite serious
problems of governance, and often of corruption, the belief was there. In
1981, Africa recognized the right to development as a basic human right in
the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights. From their efforts came
the UN Declaration of the Right to Development of 1986. From that deeply
influential statement - adopted in Cold War conditions - has come the
current thinking of a rights-based approach to development that seeks to
bring about the promise of universal human rights and dignity.

But turning to the contemporary world I had a sober message for Human
Rights Day. This has been a difficult year for human rights. After so many
high hopes that the turn of the Millennium would herald a new era of
respect for fundamental freedoms, we are faced with the sobering
realisation that there is as much, if not more, work to do now to make
human rights a reality for all.

The World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and
Related Intolerance held in Durban concluded three days before 11
September. The World Conference was the latest event in a long campaign by
the world community to rid itself of the scourge of racism and
discrimination. The terrorist attacks of 11 September shock the world. All
people who cherish life and abhor violence motivated by hatred condemn
those attacks unreservedly. I understand that in 1999 the OAU adopted the
Convention on the Prevention and Combating of Terrorism. Let us hope that
the Convention will be ratified soon and implemented.

It has been suggested in some quarters that human rights considerations
must take a back-seat in the struggle against terrorism. I can not share in
that line of thinking. Human rights must be observed, especially in times
of crises. We can, and must, fight terrorism while observing human rights.
However, the long-term antidote to terrorism is a world where the ideals of
the Universal Declaration of equal human dignity for all without any
discrimination have been achieved.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

2.CONFLICT, EMERGENCIES, AND CRISES

DRC: SADC APPEALS FOR FUNDS FOR INTER-CONGOLESE DIALOGUE
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17567&SelectRegion=Great_Lakes&SelectCountry=DRC
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) appealed to the
international community on Monday for US $5 million to support the inter-
Congolese dialogue, due to be held in South Africa in early 2002.

ERITREA-ETHIOPIA: BORDER COMMISSION BEGINS HEARING CASES
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17546&SelectRegion=Horn_of_Africa&SelectCountry=ERITREA-ETHIOPIA
The border commission charged with reaching mutual agreement between
Ethiopia and Eritrea on the demarcation of their common border began
hearing the cases of the two countries in the Hague on Monday.

HUMANITARIANISM UNDER THREAT:
The Humanitarian Impacts Of Small Arms And Light Weapons
http://www.id21.org/society/s10brm1g1.html
This report seeks to measure the threats that unregulated access to small
arms and light weapons pose to civil populations and relief and development
agencies. Also considered are the enduring social and economic consequences
of armed violence - particularly in relation to how they undermine
sustainable development.

KENYA: MORE THAN 50 KILLED IN TANA RIVER CLASHES
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17566&SelectRegion=East_Africa&SelectCountry=KENYA
Fourteen people were killed in renewed violent clashes on Sunday between
Orma and Pokomo communities in Tana River District, eastern Kenya, bringing
the death toll from fighting in the district to more than 50 in the last
week.

KENYA: MORE THAN 50 KILLED IN TANA RIVER CLASHES
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za/archive/2001dec/features/12dec-kenya.html
Fourteen people were killed in renewed violent clashes on Sunday between
Orma and Pokomo communities in Tana River District, eastern Kenya, bringing
the death toll from fighting in the district to more than 50 in the last
week.

LIBERIA: CIVILIANS HAVE BECOME TARGET IN ARMED CONFLICT
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17572&SelectRegion=West_Africa&SelectCountry=LIBERIA
Civilians have become the main targets in the conflict between government
forces and armed opposition fighters in Liberia's northern Lofa county, the
global human rights body, Amnesty International (AI), said in a statement
on Tuesday.

PLANS TO BRING FOOD TO MALAWI'S POOR
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za/archive/2001dec/features/12dec-malawi.html
The World Food Programme (WFP) is drafting plans to help thousands of
impoverished Malawians survive this year's maize shortages.

REBELS MOVE TOWARDS BORDER WITH SIERRA LEONE
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za/archive/2001dec/features/11dec-liberia.html
Armed fighters of the Liberians United for Reconciliation and Democracy
(LURD) were reportedly heading for Kungbor town on the Sierra Leonean
border area in an attempt to regroup, a government statement said on Sunday.

RELIGION AND CIVIL SOCIETY IN A TIME OF CONFLICT
It is ironic that most of the conflicts today - even those rooted in deep
economic or social inequalities - seem to have a distinct religious angle.
Religion has unparalleled mobilising power, to the extent that it sometimes
can distract from the political, social and economic aspects of a conflict.
This raises important questions for civil society activists. Is religious
loyalty incompatible with greater citizen participation in public life? How
is it that we find that citizens around the world, especially youth, are
coming forward to assert their religious identity in the public arena in
increasingly visible ways? Can the mobilising power of religion be used to
focus attention on global poverty and related issues in a non-sectarian
manner?
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4761

RWANDA: KIGALI TO TESTIFY ON CONGO PLUNDER
http://allafrica.com/stories/200112070065.html
The Rwandan government has promised to offer further evidence concerning
exploitation of Congo's resources.

RWANDA: UN CONFIRMS TROOP REINFORCEMENTS IN EAST
http://allafrica.com/stories/200112060217.html
The Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for the Democratic
Republic of the Congo (DRC), Amos Namanga Ngongi, has confirmed that the
Rwandan Patriotic Army (RPA) was reinforcing its troops in Isiro (Orientale
province), Fizi (South Kivu province) and Kalemie (Katanga province) and to
that end was recruiting young people, including adolescents.

SOMALIA: FEAR OF US STRIKES GRIPS SOMALIA
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17543&SelectRegion=Horn_of_Africa&SelectCountry=SOMALIA
Fears of an imminent American air strike is gripping Somalia after reports
that military aircraft have been conducting surveillance flights over the
country, local sources told IRIN on Tuesday.

SOUTH AFRICA GETS TOUGH ON ZIMBABWE
http://allafrica.com/stories/200112070128.html
South Africa has finally started to voice alarm and impatience over the
crisis in Zimbabwe, but Pretoria lacks guaranteed leverage to ensure
political and economic normalisation in its northern neighbour.

SUDAN: DID US IGNORE OFFER TO HELP STOP BIN LADEN?
http://allafrica.com/stories/200112070235.html
Did the Clinton Administration miss the chance to stop Osama Bin Laden in
Sudan? That question, which has bubbled under the surface of the debate
over U.S. foreign policy since the attacks on the World Trade Center and
the Pentagon eight weeks ago, erupted publicly this week with the
publication by Vanity Fair of charges that "September 11 might have been
prevented."

SUDAN: STATE OF EMERGENCY EXTENDED
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17568&SelectRegion=East_Africa&SelectCountry=SUDAN
Sudan's National Assembly on Sunday unanimously approved the extension of
the country's state of emergency "until the end of the reasons that had led
to its declaration," according to the official Sudan News Agency (SUNA).

SUDAN: US CRITICISED OVER BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS ALERT
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17502&SelectRegion=East_Africa&SelectCountry=SUDAN
The London-based advocacy group European-Sudanese Public Affairs Council on
Monday expressed deep concern at what it called "unsustainable and deeply
irresponsible" allegations by the US government that Sudan is involved in
developing a biological weapons programme.

TERROR HIT LIST DRAWN UP BY US
http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,616256,00.html
There are increasing indications that the US has honed a hit list of
countries to target for military action in rogue regions across the globe
where it believes terror cells flourish. According to a report in the Los
Angeles Times which details the possible targets, Somalia, where central
government hardly exists, is causing increasing concern in Washington.

UGANDA: KARAMOJONG FIGHTERS HAND OVER WEAPONS
http://allafrica.com/stories/200112070048.html
Karamojong pastoralists in northeastern Uganda have voluntarily handed in
some 7,000 illegal weapons since the beginning of a government-sponsored
disarmament programme on 2 December, according to the Ugandan authorities.

UGANDA: LRA, ADF ON AMERICAN TERRORIST LIST
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17363&SelectRegion=East_Africa&SelectCountry=UGANDA
The US on Wednesday included the Ugandan rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA)
and Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) on its "Terrorist Exclusion List"
designed to protect the safety of the country and its citizens under the
new US Patriot Act.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

3.RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY

AFRICAN SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC TRENDS 2000-1
Global Coalition For Africa
http://www.gca-cma.org/eanrep.htm
Though democracy is still fragile, basic freedoms and civil liberties are
expanding throughout the continent, say the Global Coalition for Africa's
annual report.

ANNAN BACKS INDIVIDUAL OVER STATE
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1701000/1701605.stm
United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has issued a clarion call for
the rights of the individual, declaring that "the sovereignty of states
must no longer be used as a shield for gross violations of human rights".

DISABILITY ACTION ON VOTER ADVOCACY
ZAMBIA FEDERATION OF THE DISABLED
A report to the European Union Electoral Unit on the participation of
disabled people in the electoral process of Zambia.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4752
Contact: [log in to unmask]

DRC TO RATIFY THE ROME STATUTE
According to AFP (agence France Presse), the Democratic Republic of Congo
is going to ratify the Rome Statute as stated by the Minister of Justice
Ngele Masudi on December 6, 2001 in Kinshasa. The Minister of Human
Rights , Ntumba Luaba, added, "It is in the best interest of the DRC to
ratify the Rome Statute for the ICC not only because it is a victim of an
unjustified aggression, but also because it is a State of Law which has
accepted the jurisdiction of the International Court."
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4744

EU DEFINITION OF TERRORISM
A Victory For Civil Society?
http://www.statewatch.org/news/2001/dec/05terdef.htm
There some signs that the strong concerns raised by civil society groups
over the proposed EU definition of terrorism is having some effect on the
original proposal put forward by the Commission which clearly extended the
definition of terrorism to include protests and other democratic activities.

EUROPE SHOULD OPPOSE U.S. LAW ON WAR CRIMES COURT
European Union governments should quickly express their opposition to the
new American Servicemembers Protection Act (ASPA), passed by the U.S.
Senate on December 7, Human Rights Watch urged in a letter to EU foreign
ministers.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4760

INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY
International Confederation Of Free Trade Unions
Protecting workers' fundamental human rights is one of the principal tasks
of the ICFTU, and it is fitting that we should remember the trade unionists
who have lost their lives or their freedoms as we celebrate International
Human Rights Day, December 10, 2001.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4756

MOZAMBIQUE: PRESIDENT SAYS NO THIRD TERM
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/southern_africa/0,1009,24954,00.html
Joaquim Chissano, the Mozambican President, today announced that he will
not stand for a third term in office in the 2004 general elections, ending
debate over whether he should stay or go.

RWANDA-TANZANIA: GOVERNMENT ASKS TANZANIA TO REARREST GENOCIDE SUSPECT
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17400&SelectRegion=Great_Lakes&SelectCountry=RWANDA-TANZANIA
Rwanda has asked Tanzania to rearrest an investigator for defendants on
trial at the UN International Criminal Tribunal (ICTR) for Rwanda because
Kigali suspects him of having participated in the 1994 genocide, Rwandan
Radio reported on Saturday.

RWANDA: SIX GENOCIDE CONVICTS BEGIN SENTENCES IN MALI
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17545&SelectRegion=Great_Lakes&SelectCountry=RWANDA
Former Rwandan prime minister Jean Kambanda was among five other genocide
convicts transferred to Mali on Sunday to begin serving sentences of
between 15 years to life imprisonment, imposed by the International
Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, news organisations reported.

SUDAN: WHAT HAVE GOVERNMENTS DONE TO STOP SLAVERY?
http://allafrica.com/stories/200112070477.html
Many Third World countries feel they have no easy solutions, and thus turn
a blind eye on the "embarrassment" of slavery. They would even deny its
existence. Sudan is one country where reports of slavery have persistently
emerged, and the Khartoum government is accused of having a hand in
promoting this act.

US: SENATE VOTES OVERWHELMINGLY TO BAR PARTICIPATION IN NEW INTERNATIONAL
CRIMINAL COURT
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20011207_1996.html
The Senate voted overwhelmingly Friday to block U.S. participation in a new
international criminal court that opponents fear could stage politically
motivated trials of American troops and government officials.

ZIMBABWE OPPOSITION WANTS NON-VIOLENCE PACT WITH MUGABE
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/southern_africa/0,1009,24948,00.html
Leader of Zimbabwe's main opposition party says his party and the ruling
party of President Robert Mugabe should sign a non-violence pact ahead of
next year's presidential elections. Morgan Tsvangirai, leader of the
Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), says he is prepared to share the
stage with Mugabe and publicly denounce violence which is now prevalent on
the Zimbabwean political scene.

ZIMBABWE: NG PARTY LOSES MAYORAL ELECTION
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za/archive/2001dec/features/11dec-zimbabwe.html
Zimbabwe's ruling party empire appeared to be crumbling Monday following
its third consecutive electoral defeat at the hands of the main opposition
party.

ZIMBABWE: PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION DUE IN MARCH
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17564&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=ZIMBABWE
Zimbabwe's long-awaited presidential election is due in March, although the
exact dates have not been set, President Robert Mugabe said on Tuesday.

ZIMBABWE: RULING PARTY LOSES MAYORAL ELECTION
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za/archive/2001dec/features/11dec-zimbabwe.html
Zimbabwe's ruling party empire appeared to be crumbling Monday following
its third consecutive electoral defeat at the hands of the main opposition
party.

ZIMBABWE: SADC TRIES AGAIN
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17410&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=ZIMBABWE
As regional ministers met in Harare on Monday to assess Zimbabwe's
compliance with agreements on land reform and the rule of law, analysts
said the key question was whether southern African leaders could act
decisively to end the country's political crisis.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

4.CORRUPTION

BOTSWANA: MINISTER CHALLENGES PUBLIC SERVANTS TO HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE FOR
CORRUPTION
http://www.transparency.org/cgi-bin/dcn-read.pl?citID=15329
Public servants should work hard to restore confidence in members of the
public that they have the ability to deliver service. Minister of Labour
and Home Affairs Daniel Kwelagobe expressed this feeling when opening the
59th Annual General Conference of Botswana Civil Servants Association
(BCSA) in Mochudi.

GHANA: KUMASI ABATTOIR MANAGER EXONERATED FROM CORRUPT CHARGES
http://www.africaonline.com/site/Articles/1,3,43811.jsp
The Managing Director of the Kumasi Abattoir Company, Mr. Kwadwo Agenim-
Boateng, has been exonerated from allegations of corruption leveled against
him by the Administrative Manager of the Company, Mr. Maxwell Awuian after
investigations carried out by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO).

MOZAMBIQUE TARGETS CORRUPTION
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1693000/1693640.stm
The government in Mozambique has announced the formation of a special unit
to fight corruption.

ZAMBIA: POLITICS OF FOOD AID
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17560&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=ZAMBIA
Zambia's deepening food shortages, along with mismanagement and corruption,
are the key issues dominating the country's general election campaign,
opposition leader Dipak Patel told IRIN on Tuesday.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

5.HEALTH

12TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AIDS IN AFRICA
Calls For Improved Access To Treatment
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_hiv.cfm#8458
The 12th International Conference on AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
in Africa opened in Burkina Faso amid calls for improved access to
treatment, Agence France-Presse reports. Six thousand delegates --
including public health workers, scientists and government officials from
around the world -- will focus on "community solutions" to the African
HIV/AIDS pandemic at the five-day meeting.

GABON: EBOLA CONFIRMED
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1701000/1701079.stm
The World Health Organization has said that 10 people have now died from
the Ebola virus in Gabon.

HIV/AIDS: A RACE AGAINST TIME
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2001/december/race.htm
With HIV/AIDS infection rates showing no signs of abating, the urgency for
a preventive vaccine has never been greater. Dr Tim Tucker, recently
appointed head of the South African AIDS Vaccine Initiative (SAAVI), shares
some thoughts on the vaccine trials and the road ahead.

HOPKINS REPORT: YOUTH CRUCIAL TO STOPPING HIV/AIDS
To stop the HIV/AIDS epidemic from becoming a catastrophe, prevention
strategies must do much more to reach young people right away, according to
a new report from the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public
Health. The Hopkins call for a youth-centered strategy follows grim new
United Nations statistics that show almost 12 million young people are now
living with the deadly disease.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4758

MATERNAL DEATHS REMAIN HIGH DESPITE INTERNATIONAL EFFORTS
Each year more than 525,000 women die from complications of pregnancy and
childbirth. In addition, over 50 million experience pregnancy-related
complications, 15 million of which lead to long-term illness or disability.
A new report from Panos "Birth rights: new approaches to safe motherhood",
highlights the fact that since 1987, when an International Safe Motherhood
Initiative was adopted, there has been little evidence of significant
reductions in the number of women dying globally.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4739

NIGERIA THE FIRST TO TEST GENERIC AIDS DRUGS IN AFRICA
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/west_africa/0,1009,24946,00.html
Nigeria is set to launch Africa's first trial programme to use cheap,
imported, generic Aids drugs to combat the disease sweeping the continent.
Aiming to tackle the effects of an epidemic now affecting almost 3,5
million Nigerians, and more than 28 million Africans, the programme will
start in 18 federal health centres on a limited number of patients.

NIGERIA: EXPOSING HOAX CURE BRINGS DEATH THREATS
http://www.washtimes.com/world/20011206-865548.htm
Former military intelligence officer Mohammed Farouk, leader of the
Nigerian AIDS Alliance, received death threats Tuesday after criticizing on
TV Dr. Jeremiah Abalaka's claim to have found a cure for the disease.

NIGERIA: SEX WORKERS AWARE OF AIDS, BUT UNAWARE OF VIRAL TRANSMISSION ROUTES
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_hiv_recent_rep.cfm?
dr_cat=1&show=yes&dr_DateTime=07-Dec-01#8432
The majority of Nigeria's 80,000 sex workers are aware of HIV/AIDS, but
most do not know how it is transmitted and almost half do not take measures
to protect themselves, according to a recent study by the Nigerian Society
for Family Health.

SOUTH AFRICA: PREMIER OF WESTERN CAPE SUPPORTS HIV/AIDS LINK
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_hiv_recent_rep.cfm?
dr_cat=1&show=yes&dr_DateTime=06-Dec-01#8405
Peter Marais, former mayor of Cape Town and a member of the New National
Party, was sworn in yesterday as premier of South Africa's Western Cape
province in a power-sharing deal made with the ruling African National
Congress and immediately voiced his support for anti-AIDS efforts, Agence
France-Presse reports. In his inaugural address, Marais said that "HIV
causes AIDS, full stop," a statement that appears to "sho[w] little
caution" for the views of South African President Thabo Mbeki.

ZAMBIA: MORE EARLY GRAVES
http://www.oneworld.org/afronet/monitor187/headline4.htm
A new measure of the World Health Organisation [WHO] puts the life
expectancy of Zambians at a startling 30 years - the lowest level in the
country’s history - a global network of non-governmental organisations has
revealed.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

6.EDUCATION AND SOCIAL WELFARE

DR CONGO STUDENTS KILLED IN PROTESTS
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1700000/1700499.stm
Details are emerging about a clash between police and students in
Lubumbashi in the southeast of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Two
students were killed on Saturday when police opened fire on a demonstration
involving an estimated 500 university students.

IMFUNDO TO ADD ARABIC CONTENT
Muslim Hands has become one of Imfundo's ResourceBank partners. It is
already translating some of the key pages on its web-site into Arabic so
that it can share information relating to its activities and the
KnowledgeBank with Muslims in countries where English is not widely
understood.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4800

NIGERIA: IT PROJECT LAUNCHED IN SCHOOLS
http://www.learningchannel.org/cgi-bin/babel/showdoc.cgi?
rohttp://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=15428
The Information Technology Association of Nigeria (ITAN) has launched a US
$4.3 million-project whose goal is to increase the use of computers and
other IT equipment in the country's schools.

NIGERIA: UNICEF TO BOOST GIRLS' EDUCATION
http://www.learningchannel.org/cgi-bin/babel/showdoc.cgi?
rhttp://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=15428
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) has drawn up a five-year
programme to boost girls' education in six Nigerian states starting next
year, Maman Sidikou, head of UNICEF's education unit in the country has
said.

SOUTH AFRICA: MAKING A MARK WITH MATHS
http://www.teacher.co.za/200112/science.html
For the second year running, an under-resourced, rural school in Northern
Province has produced the winner of the Maths and Science Teacher of the
Year Award.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

7.WOMEN AND GENDER

GLOBAL REVIEW OF ABORTION POLICIES
http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/abortion/abortion.htm
The first volume of a three volume study "Abortion Policies: a Global
Review", prepared by the Population Division of the UN has been published
with financial support from the United Nations Population Fund. The study
comprised an analysis of abortion laws and policies in every country of the
world, both developed and developing. It includes information on the social
and political settings, the ways in which these laws and policies have been
formulated, and how they have evolved. Information on the incidence of
abortion and the setting in which abortion occurs is included wherever
possible in order to complement the policy picture.

KENYA: SLUM WOMEN MARCH TO MOI'S OFFICE
http://allafrica.com/stories/200112060589.html
Kenyan women's groups accuse the security forces, sent to quell the ongoing
unrest in the Kibera slum, of rape, arson and robbery. More than one
hundred women marched to the Presidential Office, Thursday, to demand
government intervention to end the violence.

KENYAN WOMEN SPEAK OUT ON VIDEO
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1697000/1697588.stm
Poor women living in slums of Nairobi have been able to tell the world
about their appalling living conditions by filming their lives on borrowed
video cameras.

NETWORK OF AFRICAN WOMEN ECONOMISTS
http://www.unifem.undp.org/curr1101.htm#news13
UNIFEM set up a network of African Women Economists at a seminar
on 'Fostering African Women’s Participation in Economic Policy Formulation
and Monitoring,' held in Saly Portudal, Senegal from 29 October-3 November.
Over 50 people from Central and West Africa attended the seminar, including
governments representatives, technical advisors on economic and trade
issues parliamentarians, journalists, UN officials, women activists and
members of NGOs.

TRADE, GENDER AND POVERTY
http://www.undp.org/mainundp/propoor/docs/pov_tradegenderpoverty_doc.pdf
This paper focuses on the relationship of trade, on the one hand, with
gender and poverty, on the other, within the context of the human
development paradigm. Specifically, it examines the impact of trade
liberalization on gender inequalities (primarily via employment, wages and
the care economy) and the impact of gender inequality on trade performance.
These interactions are discussed in light of main-stream literature on
trade, growth and poverty reduction, which defines poverty in terms of
income or consumption and largely ignores gender. The paper also considers
the policy implications of a gender-aware approach to international trade
analysis and the current world trade regime.

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN
COSATU Statement
As the 16 days of activism against the abuse of women and children come to
an end on 10 December, the Congress of South African Trade Unions thanks
all those who joined the campaign and took a stand against the rising tide
of violence against the most vulnerable sections of our society.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4708

WHY DOES HUMAN TRAFFICKING DISPROPORTIONATELY AFFECT WOMEN?
In this handbook, the Global Alliance Against Trafficking in Women (GAATW)
presents the problem of trafficking and some strategies for responding to
it. The handbook approaches the subject from a human rights perspective and
quite effectively pinpoints the ways trafficking violates victim's human
rights, particularly those of women. It brings to light, therefore, the
seriousness of a problem which is not well understood.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4743

WOMEN PREPARE FOR EARTH SUMMIT 2002
The World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD 2002) will be held in
Johannesburg, South Africa from 02 to 11 September 2002. In preparation for
this important event, the Women's Environment and Development Organization
(WEDO) is calling on concerned women's organisations to participate in the
global consultation that aims to come up with a Women's Action Agenda for a
Healthy Planet 2002(WAA2002). This will be launched in the World Summit.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

ZAMBIA: GENDER MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN THE RISK OF HIV TRANSMISSION
http://www2.womensnet.org.za/news/show.cfm?news_id=778
In sub-Saharan Africa, the rate of HIV infection in women is rising faster
than any other group. UNAIDS estimates that women in sub-Saharan African
made up about 55 percent of people living with HIV/Aids at the end of 1999.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

8.REFUGEES AND FORCED MIGRATION

ANGOLA: IRIN FOCUS ON MOXICO CONFLICT
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17397&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=ANGOLA
Angola's easternmost province, Moxico, is intensely green at this time of
year. Nevertheless, people there are close to starvation.

CENTRAL AFRICA: THINK-TANK URGES IMPROVED ASSISTANCE TO IDPS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17366&SelectRegion=Great_Lakes&SelectCountry=CENTRAL_AFRICA
Overseas Development Institute (ODI), a UK-based think-tank on
international development and humanitarian issues, has urged the
international community to seize upon current initiatives to improve aid to
internally displaced people (IDPs).

LIBERIA: NGOS RELOCATE TO SAWMILL
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17573&SelectRegion=West_Africa&SelectCountry=LIBERIA
Aid workers and internally displaced people (IDPs) were forced to flee
Bopolu camp on Friday after fresh fighting erupted in northwestern Liberia,
humanitarian sources told IRIN on Tuesday. Diplomats in the capital
Monrovia as well told IRIN that the situation in the north and northwest of
the country had "worsened" since Friday.

NAMIBIA: UNHCR CONCERNED OVER DORDABIS DETAINEES
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17265&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=NAMIBIA
The United Nations refugee agency in Namibia has expressed concern over the
fact that 80 suspected Angolan UNITA rebels who have been held in Dordabis,
about 100 km southeast of the capital Windhoek, have not appeared in court
for around 18 months.

ZAMBIA: MORE ANGOLAN REFUGEES ENTER ZAMBIA
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17407&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=ZAMBIA
More than 1,000 Angolan refugees have crossed over into Zambia's Western
province in the last ten days, a spokesman for the UN's refugee agency told
IRIN on Monday

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

9.RACISM AND XENOPHOBIA

KENYA: MOUNTAIN VOICES
Mount Elgon
http://www.mountainvoices.net/Summary.asp?id=140
Though difficult to follow at times, this interview with Robert, a 30 year
old farmer from the Sabaot people yields interesting and illuminating
material, and the narrator describes many of the problems which he
perceives face the Sabaot. Intermarriage between his people and the
neighbouring Bukusu is, for him, the main reason why there have been
changes in his culture, particularly in relation to education, social
relations, language, technology, and agricultural practices. Although this
has led to what he perceives as positive changes, such as the introduction
of new agricultural technology and cash crops, he laments the loss of
language and custom, and the social disruption that has come about. This
interview highlights the ambiguity the Sabaot seem to feel towards the
changes that have been affecting their society, a theme that runs through
most of the testimonies in this collection.

LESOTHO: MOUNTAIN VOICES
The Maluti Mountains
http://www.mountainvoices.net/Summary.asp?id=203
In this strong interview, the narrator speaks movingly about her land and
the impending move, and especially about being separated from those who
look out for her – the informal support network. Her husband died recently
and perhaps this has added to her sadness about moving. Some statements are
almost biblical in their cadence and style, for example: “It will remain as
a rock on my heart when I think of the place that I am being removed from”,
and “Truly we do not know as to what caused these dams in the land of God.”

MOUNTAIN VOICES WEBSITE
http://www.mountainvoices.net/themes.html
The Mountain Voices website is an attempt to make the mountains debate of
2002 and beyond more inclusive by highlighting the perspective of those
experiencing development and change first-hand. The archive will eventually
contain over 300 interviews from 10 different mountain communities.
Visitors can search for oral testimonies by location and by theme -
including environmental knowledge, migration, education, social change,
culture and custom, economics and identity.

SOUTH AFRICA: JEWS SPEAK OUT ON ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT
http://www.woza.co.za/dec01/israel10.htm
A number of South Africans of Jewish descent have chosen to express
themselves on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict "as a matter of conscience
and concern for the safety and well being of the Israeli and Palestinian
Peoples and for world peace". This is the text of their declaration.

UK: BLAIR BACKS BLUNKETT ON RACE
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1700000/1700370.stm
Downing Street has renewed its backing for Home Secretary David Blunkett as
the controversy continues over his remarks on race. Prime Minister Tony
Blair's official spokesman welcomed the debate sparked by Mr Blunkett's
call for ethnic minorities to do more "to belong" in the UK.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

10.ENVIRONMENT

AEROSOL POLLUTION COULD DRAIN EARTH'S WATER CYCLE
http://ens.lycos.com/ens/dec2001/2001L-12-07-06.html
Pollution produced by humans may be seriously weakening the Earth's water
cycle - reducing rainfall and threatening fresh water supplies. A new study
by researchers at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography suggests that
tiny particles of soot and other pollutants are having a far greater effect
on the planet's hydrological cycle than previously realized.

AFRICANS AGREED ON MANAGEMENT OF COMMON WATER BODIES
http://www.newafrica.com/news/environment/articlepg1.asp?ID=39440
Delegates of African countries attending the conference on fresh waters in
Bonn are agreed on inter-state management of water bodies running through
their countries. They also agreed in plenary discussions that the concerted
management of watercourses shared by many countries was the best way to
avoid misunderstandings, which could sometimes lead to armed conflicts.

CHAD- CAMEROON: OIL SCHEME SET TO DRILL ON COURSE FOR 2003
http://www.newafrica.com/news/environment/articlepg1.asp?ID=39507
A planned 665 mile (1,070 km) pipeline from southern Chad to Cameroon's
Atlantic coast promises riches for both countries - especially for dirt-
poor and landlocked Chad whose economy could be transformed by around $2
billion in royalties over 25 years. But the scheme has drawn criticism from
human rights and lobby groups worried about environmental damage and that
revenues will not benefit ordinary people. Some campaigners have urged a
halt until a firmer regulatory framework can be created.

DRC: GOVERNMENT JOINS CALL TO CUT HYGIENE-RELATED DEATHS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17364&SelectRegion=Great_Lakes&SelectCountry=DRC
The government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) on Thursday
joined a declaration by other African countries to take action to reduce
death rates as a result of poor hygiene, and that called for the issue of
disease-contaminated water to be put at the centre of the World Summit on
Sustainable Development, the UN Environment Programme reported.

GOVERNMENTS CRITICISED FOR FAILING TO SET SANITATION TARGETS
http://www.tearfund.org/generic/index.asp?id=7170
Ministers from 50 countries meeting in Bonn have been criticised for
failing to set targets to reduce the number of poor people without access
to adequate sanitation.

KENYA: RHINO HORNS SEIZED AS POACHING FEARS MOUNT
http://www.newafrica.com/news/environment/articlepg1.asp?ID=39506
Two suspected poachers have been arrested in Mombasa and game trophy
recovered. They were allegedly captured trafficking in rhino horns, barely
a fortnight after four endangered rhinos were killed in the Tsavo East
National Park bordering Tanzania.

TOTALITY AND BELONGING:
TOWARDS ECO-CONCEPT SYNTHESIS
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2001/december/ecocon.htm
There are currently two contrasting approaches to the issue of what the
Environment is and how it is related to the human species, namely: the
anthropocentric and the ecocentric. This article written in anticipation of
the Earth Summit in South Africa in 2002 suggests a possible eco-concept
synthesis based on the principles that humankind is part of the totality of
planet Earth and can achieve eco-leadership by encouraging a sense of
belonging with all other phenomena to the Earth's total community.

ZIMBABWE: DESPERATELY SAVING SABLE
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za/archive/2001dec/features/07dec-sable.html
Wildlife smugglers are profiting from the ongoing political turmoil in
Zimbabwe.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

11.MEDIA

BBC EXECUTIVES AT ODDS OVER LIBELLOUS ERROR
http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,616191,00.html
An inquiry is attempting to establish why the Ten O'Clock News accused an
African diamond firm of being linked to Osama bin Laden. Lawyers for the
firm have served a writ on the BBC and the reporter involved, David
Shukman. Forensic accountants have established the company lost up to £6m
worth of business since the allegation was made at the end of October.

BOTSWANA MEDIA BILL RAISES CONCERNS
On Friday 30 November 2001, the Botswana government published the contents
of a draft Mass Media Communications Bill in the government gazette. MISA
Botswana reports that local press groups, worried that the media bill
proposed by the government would restrict free and independent reporting,
have called for a public meeting to air their concerns and hear the
public's perspective. The meeting will take place on 13 December.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4730

DRC: JOURNALISTS IMPRISONED UNDER KABILA
Twenty-five journalists have been imprisoned because of their work under
Joseph Kabila, according to Journaliste en Danger 2001 annual report.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4762

ETHIOPIA: JOURNALIST SENTENCED TO ONE YEAR IN JAIL
The Ethiopian Free Press Journalists' Association is expressing concern
over the alarming increase in the harassment of journalists, who have been
summoned to the Central Investigation Office and often sentenced to jail
terms by the government.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4729

GHANA: REPORT ON 2000 ELECTION COVERAGE RELEASED
http://www.mediachannel.org/news/today/
Mr. Nutifafa Kuenyehia, Chairman, National Media Commission (NMC), on
Tuesday launched a thirty-page report on the role played by the media in
its coverage of Election 2000.

LIBERIA: UNCOVERING PAT ROBERTSON'S CONNECTION
http://www.mediachannel.org/news/today/
Over the past few months, columnist Colbert King of the Washington Post had
used his columns to expose Christian Broadcast Network head Pat Robertson's
gold mine quest and relationship with President Charles Taylor.

MEDIA MONITORING PROJECT ZIMBABWE
Media Update # 2001/ 48
The week witnessed government’s endorsement of yet another draconian piece
of legislation, termed the Public Access to Information and Protection of
Privacy Bill to deal with perceived wayward journalists. This comes just a
few weeks after the government announced that it intends to amend the
electoral law; after President Robert Mugabe used his presidential powers
to amend the Land Acquisition Act to legalise the controversial land reform
programme; and lately, after the government approved the controversial
Public Order Security Bill.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4728

SOUTH AFRICA: ACTOR THREATENED OVER ROLE IN AIDS COMMERCIALS
http://www.mediachannel.org/news/today/
An HIV advertisement that depicts the remorse of a man who infected several
women before testing positive, has led to threats to against the actor
Sibusiso Mhlongo. Some viewers are apparently unable to tell the difference
between the television character and the actor himself.

ZIMBABWE: MUGABE BRINGS A CRITICAL PRESS TO HEEL
http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,615988,00.html
This article will be punishable by up to two years in prison under the new
media law that Robert Mugabe is likely to push through Zimbabwe's
parliament this week. For a start, it quotes the Herald newspaper in
Harare - a government propagandist rag with little regard for the truth or
its plummeting circulation - for the want of a response from Zimbabwe's
minister of information about the coming legislation.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

12.DEVELOPMENT

MALAWI: PLANS TO BRING FOOD TO MALAWI'S POOR
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17565&SelectRegion=Southern_Africa&SelectCountry=MALAWI
The World Food Programme (WFP) is drafting plans to help thousands of
impoverished Malawians survive this year's maize shortages.

NIGERIA: UN-BACKED CONFERENCE OPENS ON VOLATILE OIL REGION
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?
ReportID=17411&SelectRegion=West_Africa&SelectCountry=NIGERIA
A three-day conference discussing development initiatives for Nigeria’s
impoverished but volatile Niger Delta oil region began on Monday, in the
southeastern city of Port Harcourt.

NIGERIA: UN-BACKED CONFERENCE OPENS ON VOLATILE OIL REGION
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za/archive/2001dec/features/11dec-nigeria.html
A three-day conference discussing development initiatives for Nigeria’s
impoverished but volatile Niger Delta oil region began on Monday, in the
southeastern city of Port Harcourt.

THE TOKYO INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT
The Tokyo International Conference on African Development, attended by
representatives from all 53 African nations, 11 Asian countries, 23 donor
states and 38 international groups took place over two days, highlighting
the "New Partnership for Africa's Development" (NEPAD) -- a development
blueprint which hopes to systematically tackle investment, governance,
debt, infrastructure, banking problems and economic growth, with a minimum
of $64 billion in annual investment (much of it from foreign investors and
donors).
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4733

TRADE UNIONS WELCOME NEW EU TRADE PREFERENCES SYSTEM
The European Union has made an important move to boost development and at
the same time ensuring the respect of basic workers' rights, according to
the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU) and the
European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC).
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4757

US: HUNGER TO HARVEST RESOLUTION PASSES CONGRESS
US House of Representatives just passed the "Africa: Hunger to Harvest
Resolution" (H. Con. Res. 102). The companion measure passed the Senate
last July (SConRes 53). The House has substituted the somewhat stronger
Senate language requesting the Bush Administration to present Congress with
a 5-year and 10 year plan to reduce poverty and hunger in Sub-Saharan
Africa.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4727

WORLD BANK TOUTS WOMEN'S ROLE IN DEVELOPMENT
http://www.worldbank.org/developmentnews/stories/html/120701a.htm
All aspects of economic development, from healthcare to fighting
corruption, work better when women are actively participating, according to
recent World Bank research. Societies that discriminate by gender pay a
significant price--more poverty, slower growth, weaker governance, and a
lower quality of life.

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

13.INTERNET AND TECHNOLOGY

ACACIA PROJECT: PHASE II
http://www.idrc.ca/acacia/newsletter/Sep01.PDF
Acacia is a program of the International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
to help sub-Saharan African communities develop the ability to use ICTs for
their social and economic development. The Acacia program is commencing its
second phase, which will look to build on the first phase, notably by
focussing on disseminating findings widely, learning from its initial
projects and developing new types of projects. The September newsletter
summarizes some of the lessons from Phase I and outlines current activities
and plans for Phase II.

ASK LESSIG ABOUT CYBERLAW
http://slashdot.org/interviews/01/12/10/1650218.shtml
Lawrence Lessig of Stanford Law School, and before that of various other
places, is one of the best-known voices in the world of electronic
freedoms. Lessig's new book, The Future of Ideas, is the latest work of
many in his efforts to illuminate and create a freer world online. Lessig
has agreed to answer your questions; please be courteous by limiting your
questions to one per post.

PEOPLE SPEAK OUT USING THE WEB
http://www.mountainvoices.org/
This website presents interviews with over 300 people who live in mountain
and highland regions round the world. Their testimonies offer a personal
perspective on change and development.

SECURITY UPDATE FOR OUTLOOK - GET IT
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,48756,00.html
This article on Wired tells about a free, downloadable update that can be
downloaded from the Microsoft web site. The point? It makes your email much
safer. If you use Outlook or Outlook Express, the download is recommended.
It also berates MS for not marketing their security updates (patches).
Contact: [log in to unmask]

WOMEN'S VOICES WINS THE 2001 APC BETINHO COMMUNICATIONS PRIZE
Women's Voices is a video initiative which gives women living in poverty a
voice in public policy making in Nairobi, Kenya.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4818

ZAMBIA: NOT MAXIMISING THE NET
The current position of internet use and provision in Zambia is nowhere
near its potential, Microlink Technologies Limited managing director Jimmy
Pittchar has said. Microlink is the latest internet service provider (ISP)
to enter the Zambian market with a total investment of USD 1 million.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4795
Contact: [log in to unmask]

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

14.eNEWSLETTERS AND MAILING LISTS

DIRECTORY OF SOCIAL CHANGE NEWSLETTERS AND MAILING LISTS
http://www.organizenow.net

E-CIVICUS - CONNECTING CIVIL SOCIETY WORLDWIDE
Number 143 - 10 December, 2001
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4782
Contact: [log in to unmask]

HUNTING ... CONSERVATION?? A CONFLICT OF INTEREST?
The African Conservation Foundation has opened an online forum to consult
with the public on whether or not ACF should list ALL conservation groups
working in Africa - regardless of whether or not they are involved in
hunting.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4776
Contact: [log in to unmask]

INTERNET IN SENEGAL: BATIK
Bulletin d'Analyse sur les Technologies de l'Information et de la
Communication. Lettre d'information électronique mensuelle publiée par
OSIRIS l'Observatoire sur les Systèmes d'Information, les Réseaux et les
Inforoutes au Sénégal.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

MEDIA UPDATE - ZIMBABWE
http://www.comminit.com/e-zines.html#political
Goal is balance & fairness in news & current affairs, accuracy &
impartiality in voter education & equity in political advertising & direct
access programming. Published by Media Monitoring Project Zimbabwee (MMPZ).
Contact: [log in to unmask]

NEWS & OPINIONS THAT SHAPE WOMEN'S HUMAN RIGHTS ADVOCACY
Women's Human Rights Net (WHRnet)
WHRnet NEWS goes live to coincide with International Human Rights Day (10
December 2001). WHRnet uses the Internet to bring together women activists
from all continents, and now it takes this opportunity to invite everyone
with access to the web to join in. The newly redesigned site aims to
promote advocacy through knowledge sharing of women's human rights issues
and events.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4767
Contact: [log in to unmask]

SOUTH AFRICA: AGENDA FEMINIST MEDIA
http://www.agenda.org.za/
Contact: [log in to unmask]

THE EVALUATION EXCHANGE
http://gseweb.harvard.edu/~hfrp/eval.html
A forum for dialogue among policy-makers, programme practitioners,
educators & evaluators. Published by Harvard Family Research Project.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

15.FUNDRAISING

CULTIVATING DONORS
Make Your Contributions Grow
http://nonprofit.about.com/library/weekly/aa062101a.htm

DEVELOPMENT MARKETPLACE 2001
Washington DC - 9-10 January 2002
Established by the World Bank, Development Marketplace (DM) an internet
site to create a place of ideas, talent and resources that address
development challenges. Every year DM is open for proposals to develop
innovative approaches addressing a range of issues in poverty. The 2001
winning projects will share USD 3 million in start-up funds.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4785

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

16.COURSES, SEMINARS, AND WORKSHOPS

NEW DISTANT-LEARNING COURSE FOR ONLINE EFFICIENCY
Dr Burkhard Luber, Executive Staff of the Threshold Foundation, offers new
Tele-Teaching about Online Efficiency for international NGOs. Based on
similar On-site Trainings for NGOs by Burkhard Luber in many countries
worldwide for several years, this new course targets NGO workers wanting to
improve their Internet capacity and thereby advancing the efficiency of
their organizations. It is focused on persons already having a basic
knowledge of emailing and web surfing, who are now wanting to get hold of
more sophisticated know-how and material about Internet-based opportunities.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4778
Contact: [log in to unmask]

SOUTH AFRICA: CONTINENTAL CONFLICT TRANSFORMATION COURSE
Feb 4 - Mar 8 2002
http://www.comminit.com/events_cal/2002/604-event.html
Purpose includes: Identify the origins and causes of new and ongoing
conflicts in various parts of Africa; Examine the causes of these conflicts
in order to understand more clearly the dynamics of the various factors and
forces, and the relationship between peace and development; Support and
strengthen skills for facilitating dialogue, including communication and
facilitation skills, negotiation, mediation and arbitration.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

SOUTH AFRICA: HIV/AIDS AND HUMAN RIGHTS
The purpose of the workshop in Cape Town is multifaceted. Primarily, it
aims to train participants on how to use the "Youth to Youth" manual
effectively, and thus to empower them to initiate youth activities around
HIV/AIDS and Human Rights in their own communities. It is also hoped that
the workshop will equip participants with the necessary skills to ensure
that they, as future community leaders, will advocate the care of people
living with HIV/AIDS in an ethical, judicious and most appropriate manner.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4793
Contact: [log in to unmask]

THE WEST AFRICAN COMPUTING AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS EXHIBITION
Accra International Conference Centre, 16-18 May 2002
The West African IT Training and Education Forum will run concurrently with
the 6th AITEC West African Computing and Telecommunication Conference and
Exhibition. The Forum will among other objectives brainstorm on a wide
range of issues pertaining to the enhancement of IT training and education
at all levels in both formal and informal educational system of West
African states.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4777
Contact: [log in to unmask]

UK: COMMUNITY-BASED HEALTH EDUCATION & HEALTH PROMOTION
Apr 15 - Jun 21 2002
http://www.comminit.com/events_cal/2002/572-event.html
10 week course in Leeds is targeted at experienced managers and field staff
from developing countries who are requiring a short course to improve their
capacity to plan, implement and manage communication/health promotion
components of projects.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

UK: DEVELOPMENT STUDIES COURSE
Apr 20 - Jul 6 2002
http://www.comminit.com/events_cal/2002/551-event.html
This course in Birmingham is designed to meet the needs of people working
in non-government and international aid organisations as well as government
departments. Themes include: Understanding poverty, & the processes of
underdevelopment & development; Reviewing social & human development &
social policy issues in developing countries; and, Examining possibilities
for social, political & economic changes at all levels.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

17.ADVOCACY RESOURCES

BUILDING PEACE AMONG CHILDREN IN WAR-TORN AFRICA
On 10 December, 2001, Soroptimist International launches its new appeal,
Building Peace Among Children, with the World Association of Girl Guides
and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS). Funds raised by the Soroptimists' appeal will
finance a Peace Ambassadors programme through which Peace Ambassadors will
be identified from among African Girl Guides and Girl Scouts who live in
situations of conflict, violence, and instability.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4784

EMONITORING AND DISTANCE PROGRAMME COACHING
Quest-Consult Offers Online Expertise For NGOs
As more and more NGOs work with online services, email has become an
effective tool to provide support for developmental questions that ask for
an immediate response. Quest-Consult operates with a network of European
and African experts working online to support NGOs in the field.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4726
Contact: [log in to unmask]

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

18.JOBS

GATES MALARIA PROGRAMME - PHD/DRPH STUDENTSHIPS
Application Deadline: 15 January 2002
This is an opportunity to apply for a PhD/DrPH studentship to undertake a
research project in any area of clinical, field, social science or
associated laboratory work that is relevant to the control of malaria.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4781
Contact: [log in to unmask]

JOBS AT CIVICUS
Johannesburg, Washington DC, London
CIVICUS is an international civil society movement with members in over one
hundred countries. Positions available: Chief Operating Officer, Director
of Programmes, Director of Communications, Manager for Finance and
Administration, Human Resources and Logistics Manager
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4783
Contact: [log in to unmask]

SOUTH AFRICA: ASSISTANT COORDINATOR
The Soweto Youth Drama Society seeks to employ a young and energetic
outgoing person to assist the coordinator to work in primary schools in
SOWETO and other surrounding townships.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4791
Contact: [log in to unmask]

SOUTH AFRICA: DIRECTOR & MEDIA ANALYST
The Policy Directorate is seeking two energetic, experienced and analytical
professionals who enjoy working with people, doing research, writing and
liaising with a wide range of people and organisations, in the above
positions.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4794

SOUTH AFRICA: NCYE PROJECT DIRECTOR
The National Clearing House on Youth Employment (NCYE) urgently needs to
employ a Project Director to co-ordinate the implementation, management and
sustainability efforts of the project.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4788
Contact: [log in to unmask]

SOUTH AFRICA: PROGRAMME OFFICER
Closing Date: 21 December, 2001
The VSO programme in South Africa currently has over 30 volunteer
development workers and focuses on three main sectors: HIV/AIDS; gender;
housing, water and sanitation. It is now seeking to recruit a development
professional, with the initiative, drive and energy to develop the
programme in the housing, water and sanitation sector.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4792

SOUTH AFRICA: PROJECT FACILITATOR
The GreenHouse Project seeks to employ a person with a strong commitment to
people driven development, sustainable urban regeneration and a
participatory approach to work. The candidate should have a strong
fundraising background with skills in the areas of management and
organisational development.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4790
Contact: [log in to unmask]

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

19.BOOKS AND ARTS

CHILDREN IN OUR MIDST: VOICES OF FARMWORKERS' CHILDREN
Compiled By Irene McCartney - Weaver Press
http://www.comminit.com/Materials/sld-3489.html
Brings together the voices of several hundred children in Zimbabwe
collected through essays and interviews.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

GENERATING OPPORTUNITIES:
Case Studies On Energy And Women
http://www.undp.org/seed/eap/Publications/2001/2001a.html
Executive Editor: Salome Misana, Editor: Gail V. Karlsson. This book of
case studies was prepared as part of a UNDP project entitled "Energy and
Women: Generating Opportunities for Development" which was initiated in
February 1999 with support from the Swedish International Development
Cooperation Agency and the UNDP's Sustainable Energy Global Programme. The
publication looks at critical policy and programme design options to
improve women's access to modern energy services based on the lessons
learned in the eight case studies presented.

SOUTH AFRICA: CENTRE FOR THE BOOK
New Website
http://www.nlsa.ac.za/cb/
The Centre for the Book is an autonomous project of the National Library of
South Africa set up to promote a South African culture of reading and
writing. The Centre aims to promote the writing, publishing, reading,
marketing and distribution of South African books in order to develop a
truly South African literary culture. The core functions of the Centre for
the Book are book development, lobbying, raising awarenesss, advocacy and
acting as a hub of information and as an advice centre for the book world.
Our new website is easier to navigate and is more user
friendly and informative.

SOUTH AFRICA: PUBLISHER DECIDES TO NOT PUBLISH NOVEL
Fears Possible Defamation Action
The Freedom of Expression Institute is deeply distressed that Jonathan Ball
Publishers have taken a decision not to publish Robert Kirby's novel "Songs
of the Cockroach" on the basis that defamation action may be taken against
the publishers by the Democratic Alliance and other characters (or their
families) mentioned in the novel.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=4746

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

20. LETTERS AND COMMENTS

GEORGINA HIRSCH
Taylor Willcocks Solicitors, London
Someone forwarded your excellent newsletter to me. I would be grateful if
you would put me on your mailing list.

KOFO ADELEKE, PROGRAMME OFFICER
CCDI, Nigeria
Congratulations on your great newsletter. Our organisation, Community
Conservation and Development Initiatives CCDI is planning to mark World
Wetlands Day on Feb 2 2002 with a photo exhibition and activities for
children. We would like to know if any organisations have material that we
can use such as maps, posters, information sheets etc. We are based in
Nigeria, and help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Contact: [log in to unmask]

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

THIS NEWSLETTER IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KABISSA, FAHAMU AND SANGONET
Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
5130 Connecticut Ave, NW #306, Washington DC 20008, USA
http://www.kabissa.org

Fahamu - learning for change
Unit 14, Standingford House, Cave Street, Oxford OX4 1BA, UK
http://www.fahamu.org.uk

Southern African Non-Governmental Organisation Network (SANGONeT)
P O Box 31
Johannesburg, 2000
South Africa
http://www.sn.apc.org

The Newsletter is an advocacy tool for social justice. The Newsletter is
open to any organisation committed to this goal. You can use this
Newsletter to tell others about your work, events, publications, and
concerns. The quality and range of information depends on you.

SUBMIT YOUR NEWS
If your organisation is a regular provider of information, please ensure
that your information is widely read by adding [log in to unmask] to your
addressbook and mailing lists. Help us in particular by making sure that
sections relevant to your work are well represented. We consider every
submission to that address for inclusion. Please attribute original sources
by including a website address and/or contact e-mail.

SUBSCRIBE
The Newsletter comes out weekly and is delivered to subscribers by e-mail.
Subscription is free! To subscribe, send an e-mail to <pambazuka-news-
[log in to unmask]> with only the word 'subscribe' in the subject or
body.

WRITE AN EDITORIAL
We welcome original editorials. Typically, editorials run 300-500 words and
include links and contact details of their authors. Space is available
through the website for longer editorials. Please inquire to

FAIR USE
This Newsletter is produced under the principles of 'fair use'. We strive
to attribute sources by providing direct links to authors and websites.
When full text is submitted to us and no website is provided, we make the
text available on our website via a "for more information" link. Please
contact [log in to unmask] immediately regarding copyright issues.

The views expressed in this newsletter, including the signed editorials, do
not necessarily represent those of Kabissa, fahamu and SANGONeT.

(c) Kabissa, fahamu and SANGONeT 2001

If you wish to stop receiving the newsletter, unsubscribe immediately by
sending a message FROM THE ADDRESS YOU WANT REMOVED to
[log in to unmask] Please contact [log in to unmask] should you
need further assistance subscribing or unsubscribing.

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, January 30, 2002. Location: Safeco Jackson Street Center, 306 23rd Ave. S at S. Main St, Suite 200 , Seattle
7:00 PM WASAN business meeting
7:30-9:00 PM Program: South Africa

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network