GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa-Pierre Gomez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:08:04 -0000
A QUESTION

My friend who recently returned from Gambia disclosed some surprising
news. In January, he transit through Senegal. He had 2 bags (large &
medium size), 2 new cell phones, a tape recorder, a camera and of
cause assorted personal effects.

According to him, he was taxed or should i say he was made to pay
tariffs on the radio, 2 cell phones, the camera and above all, he was
charged for carrying excessive luggage (2 bags). In total, he paid
close to $300.00.

Is it a normal thing to pay these types of charges when you are only
changing a flight in a foreign country. Because he informed me
further that between 20 to 30 Gambian peacekeepers from Sudan refused
to pay any kind of tariffs, arguing that they were only in transit.
That the refusal of the Gambian troops to come to terms with the
Senegalese delayed the flight. That the troops eventually abandoned
their luggage in a dramatic show of displeasure and made up for a
road trip to Banjul. They however warned the Senegalese to ensure
that their luggage reach them in Gambia intact.

My friend told me that only a small number of them remained to board
the flight to Banjul.

Is this normal in all transit situationS?

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい