GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 13:00:10 -0400
Yusupha, for us to move on, we should quit this whining and discuss issues
people are raising in their respective postings. What's all this talk about
people engaging in name-calling? Whenever people make their points
forcefully and call it as it is, we hear people like you accusing them of
name-calling. If I call someone names, it is because I think they deserve
such labels. If they do not agree to that, let them show me why I got it
wrong. Don't just say that am engage in name-calling and you do not like
that. What names did I call you that you feel you do not deserve?

If you feel that Joke is a diversion to you, treat him as such and ignore
him. Don't criticize me for 'lambasting' Joke and subscribing to a herd
mentality. I also hope you understand my point. I think you got my point
about your discussion of soccer because you spoke about priorities. I did
not criticize you or anyone for discussing soccer. It is your prerogative to
discuss anything you want here. Just like it is also our prerogative to
discuss what we want. When you discussed soccer, I did not accuse you of
neglecting 'pertinent' issues and discussing 'frivolous' issues. I am a
soccer fan myself. I merely stayed out from the discussion. The point I
wanted you to get when I raised your soccer posting, was that it is
ill-advised to look at some of people's postings and turn around and
criticize them for neglecting issues pertinent to you.

Tell me the 'half-truths' in my piece that concerns you. This is a very
serious allegation. You are accusing me of lying without substantiating your
statements. If my statements about you and Waa Juwara and political maturity
is what you are talking about when you say that I am lying, then you did a
poor job of showing that I am lying. When you said that Waa was not
politically savvy, you insinuated that you knew more than he does or would
have handled yourself in a better fashion. Is it unreasonable for me to
think that you think you are more politically matured than the man?
Political maturity is relative. If someone thinks he is dumber than people,
he does not go around calling those people dumb. Meaning, if you honestly
believed that Waa was politically more matured than you are, you would not
criticize him the way you did. But be my guest and now concede that you
believe that Waa Juwara is more politically matured than you are. If you
believe that and concede that, then I admit that I misread you.

On ripping my postings, do not for one moment think that I buy the garbage
that you are not attacking me because of the struggle. Attacking me will do
no harm to the struggle on G_L as far as I am concerned. Attacking our
leaders unjustifiably is what will do harm to the struggle. So, do not try
to patronize me while you go around attacking UDP or other Opposition
figures unjustifiably.

On the voter registration issue, I did not say that you cannot discuss them.
Repeat yourself or other people if you want. I am just saying that I
(Dampha) should not be asked to give Joke a free hand to spread APRC
propaganda while I repeat myself (Dampha). Sorry, if I did not make that
point abundantly clear in my earlier postings to you and else.

Yusupha, this is not personal. I also take criticism in a positive fashion.
I think I told you from day one that I wholeheartedly accept constructive
criticism. It will be hard for you to come across a more tolerant person
than me on G_L. Having said that, I also have certain principles that I
cherish; principles I am not going to compromise because of political
correctness and a desire to appear agreeable to people. I will NOT accept
baseless criticism. As we move on, you will understand more and more that
this is not personal.
KB