GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ramatoulie Gillen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:26:46 GMT
I totally agree with her. Since the era of our ancestor, girls have been
solely  held responsible for having sex and their pregnancies a disgrace and
a taboo. Boys were basically allowed to reject and deny impregnating girls.

It is high time that we wake up and smell the coffee. It is time to enforce
punishment for boys who are the once impregnating girls. It is time to
realized and consider the fact that girls are sometimes sugar talked by boys
who manipulate and even force them into having sex. Forcible sex is rape.
It is possible that many girls got pregnant when raped. However, rape is not
a highly reported crime in Gambia, simply because of the stigma of pregnancy
rests on the girl's shoulder, who thinks that it's her fault. She would be
called a liar if she reports being raped. Hence, girls become submissive to
such unjust accusations and sadly blame themselves for having sex and
getting pregnant.

My Policy: Punishment should be determined by investigating and
interrogating both parties and their relationship. Information should be
analyzed to determine if the sexual activity was performed with both parties
consent or one sided.  Until then should a party or parties be convicted.

Ramatoulie: gambian.com's webcast anchor.