GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:51:07 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 91/2006, 25-26 October,  2006

Editorial
PRESIDENT JAMMEH, THE MUSLIM LEADERS AND
ETI  NDAANAN VS FOROYAA

The Muslim elders visited President Jammeh to orchestrate what has been
established as a tradition between the executive and the Muslim leaders after
every prayer that marks the end of the fast month. This started during the
colonial period. This is usually an occasion where the elders speak their minds
regarding the functioning of the executive and the impact of the policies on
their congregations. President Jammeh would utilize the occasion to make policy
statements on controversial issues. However, people were therefore waiting to
 hear what he would come up with this time. On his part when he spoke the
pattern  was different this time. First and foremost, the chairman of the Banjul
Muslim  elders reminded the President of what he said about Islam and
tolerance of  diversities, the Imam of Banjul praised the President for his
achievements and  called on the press to write such achievement and the international
community to  emulate Gambia’s religious tolerance. All the other spokespersons
dwelt on the  same message. The Amir of the Ahmadiyaa Mosque added more to the
message by  emphasizing the importance of the shepherds to look after the
sheep in the  homes, villages, communities, districts, mosques, divisions and the
nation at  large. The representatives of the Islamic council spoke about the
responsibilities of leaders and those with knowledge for the success and
failure  of society.
The President in his turn simply thank them for all the good  things they
said, noting that since the people had given him a new mandate he  will try to
prove that he deserves to be trusted. This is the shortest speech he  has ever
given on such occasion. Readers would recall that this was preceded by  the
dissolution of the cabinet and the reappointment of members of an incomplete
one. Foroyaa cannot read and will not try to speculate on what is going on in
the mind of the President. We will wait and see.  We however maintain that
Gambia demands an Executive that is a good listener who wants hear his people’s
concerns and one who responds to these concerns with immediacy.
In our view,  the Executive should tell the religious leaders that he is more
interested in  people’s concerns than praise.
It is not a sign of disrespect to tell the  president that 3 onions were
being sold for 10 dalasis; that a cup of sugar  costs5 dalasis, a cup of rice
costs 3 dalasis. In short 6 cups of rice a day is  equivalent to the daily income
of many daily paid workers. There is nothing  wrong in asking the President to
find out what is wrong with the price hike and  do something about it. In the
same vein, there is nothing wrong in telling the  President that government
upper basic and high schools are not sufficient to  accommodate students; that
the private schools are charging 5000 dalasis. There  is nothing wrong in
asking whether government cannot provide subsidies to  private schools at
reasonable rates so that they could cut down in the tuition  and fees and keep them at
the same rate as government schools. These and many  others regarding the
need to promote the rule of law and liberty could be  raised. In our view, a
healthy dialogue is what is necessary at all times  between the executive and
representatives of civil society. They should be  encouraged to speak the truth in
good faith in the public interest.
In short,  a leadership that is open and responsive to the needs and interest
of the people  become an informed and secure leadership.
See Our Next Editorial, Eti Ndaanan  Vs FOROYAA (The Beauty Of Respect For
Freedom Of Expression.)

UDP  Election Petition Struck Out
By Bubacarr K. Sowe

The Chief Justice, Abdoukarim Savage, on Friday struck out the petition
filed at the Supreme Court by the United Democratic Party, UDP, on the 22nd
September Presidential election.
In his ruling, the Chief Justice said that  the plaintiff, Ousainou Darboe,
has failed to appear in court and has not been  represented. Justice Savage
struck out the case, since the plaintiff cannot  prosecute it’s case.
In her submission, Ida Drammeh, who stood for the APRC  said that the matter
should be struck out because the plaintiff has failed to  appear before the
court.
Appearing for the Independent Electoral Commission  (IEC), Amie Joof Conteh
agreed with Madam Drammeh’s submission, noting that the  plaintiff has not
shown interest in pursuing the case.
Emmanuel Fagbenle, who  appeared for the Attorney General concurred with his
learned colleagues. The  case was thus struck out.

Bunja Darboe & CO Case Testimonies  Continue
By Fabakary B. Ceesay

Captain Yaya Darboe and the independent witness, Tijan Bojang, have
testified in the ongoing treason trial. Below are the testimonies of the  duo.
One Tijan Bojang, from Sukuta village testified before the General Court
Martial at the Yundum Barracks on Tuesday 17th October 2006.
Mr. Bojang told  the court that while he was at his home on 23rd March, he
received a phone call  from his friend called Lamin Cham. He said Cham asked him
to go and be an  independent witness pertaining to the coup plot, which he
agreed to do so. He  narrated that he then went to the major crime unit at the
NIA where he found the  accused person, Yaya Darboe, Abdoulie Sowe and his
friend, Lamin Cham. He said  there were other officers from the Serious Crime Unit
and his friend Lamin Cham,  introduced him to Abdoulie Sowe, that he is his
friend, and he (Cham) has called  him to serve as the independent witness. He
said that, he was later taken to a  room where he was introduced to Yaya Darboe
as an independent witness. He  explained that Abdoulie Sowe then told him
that there is pen and paper to write  his own statement or he (Sowe) can write it
on his behalf, but Yaya wrote his  statement. He added that before he signed
as an independent witness, he asked  Yaya, whether, he was forced to write the
statement and he replied in the  negative. He said that after Yaya signed, he
also signed and then left. At this  juncture, DPP, Fagnbele, asked him
whether he will be able to recognise the  statement and by how. He said that by
looking at the signature of the accused  person and his own signature, he will be
able to recognise the  statement.
WITNESS CROSS EXAMINED BY COUNSEL TOURAY
Counsel Borry Touray  asked the witness whether this is the first time for
him to served as an  independent witness. Mr. Bojang replied that this is the
first time in his life  time that he has served as an independent witness. Mr.
Touray put it to him that  the, Major Crime Unit is at the Police headquarters
in Banjul and not at NIA  headquarters, that Abdoulie Sowe has told the court
that the statement of Yaya  Darboe was obtained at the NIA and not at the
Major Crime Unit at Police  headquarters. Mr. Touray told the witness that the
accused person’s eye was  swollen at that time. Bojang replied that both eyes of
the accused person were  normal. Touray put it to the witness that his only
role was to go to the NIA and  sign the statement of Captain Yaya Darboe; he
also told the witness that he did  not spent more than two minutes there. The
witness said, Captain Darboe has  spend almost ten (10) minutes to write his
statement. Borry Touray said, “I’m  putting it to you that you were not present
when Captain Yaya Darboe was making  his statement, and I’m putting it to you
that you are not saying the truth.”  “I’m saying nothing, but the truth,’
replied the witness.
CROSS  EXAMINATION BY COUNSEL LAMIN JOBARTEH
Counsel Lamin Jobarteh asked the  witness whether it is true that he is a
mansoner and whether he (the witness)  understands measurement. Mr. Bojang
replied that he understands measurement, but  that his step father, who taught him
mansonery did not teach about 6mm, 1mm and  1 inch. Mr. Jobarteh, asked him,
whether he had ever built a house and to tell  the court about the dimension of
the house. The witness said he had built a  house before, but could not
estimate the dimension. Counsel Jobarteh asked him  to explain the size of the
blocks and the height of the fence he is building.  Bojang said that the sizes of
the blocks are four (4) inches and the height of  the fence could be eight to
nine “courses” from the ground. He also said that  the height of the fence
would depend on how tall the owner wants it to be.  Jobarteh further asked him
about the depth of the foundation of the fence, he  replied two inches down, but
later said the depth of the foundation is two  metres into the ground.
Jobarteh put it to him that he (Bojang) is an NIA  officer and not a masoner. Mr.
Jobarteh asked him if he is building a story  building or a skyscraper, he
replied that he is building a fence. Mr. Jobarteh  put it to him that, even the box
he is standing in is les than two metres tall,  and that there is no serious
crime unit at the NIA headquarters. The witness  replied that he does not know
whether the box he is standing in is less than two  metres. He added that
there is a serious crime unit at the NIA. Mr. Jobarteh  asked him how many
accused persons he signed for as an independent witness and  whether he will be able
to identify any of the accused persons apart from Yaya  Darboe. Mr. Bojang
said, he cannot tell how many accused persons he had signed  for as witness and
that he cannot identify any accused person, but that he can  identify the
statements that he had signed. Mr. Jobarteh asked him whether he  had seen any of
the accused persons with an injury on the head. He replied that  he has not
seen any accused persons with an injury on the head. Jobarteh put it  to him
that he (Bojang) was once posted at the Kanilai Junction as an NIA  Officer, and
further asked him whether he will be surprised if he brings his  (Bojang’s)
NIA Card at the next sitting. Bojang replied that he had never been  an NIA and
has never been posted at Kanilai junction and that he will be  surprised if
Jobarteh can produce his NIA card.
CROSS EXAMINATION BY LAMIN  MBOGE
Defence counsel Lamin Mboge asked the witness to tell the court the  time he
received a phone call from Lamin Cham and where he met Yaya Darboe,  Lamin
Cham and Abdoulie Sowe. The witness replied that he cannot tell the actual  hour
he received a call from Lamin Cham, but that it was in the morning. He  added
that he met Yaya Darboe, Lamin Cham, and Abdoulie Sowe at the Major Crime
Unit at the NIA. Mboge further asked the witness whether he can remember the day
and date that he was called and whether he knew what had happened to captain
Yaya Darboe before he was called. The witness replied that he can remember
the  date but not the day. According to him, he was called on the 23rd March
2006. He  added that he only knows what happened in his presence. Mboge asked him
whether  he saw armed men. He went further to ask the witness the number of
men who were  in uniform and armed. Bojang said he saw an armed officer and he
was the only  one in uniform. He further asked him how he came to know that
those people are  officers and whether he is close to them. Bojang replied that
he knew them  because they are Lamin Cham’s friends and they used to visit
each other. He was  quick to say that he is not close to them. Mr. Mboge also
asked him whether he  was present when Yaya was being interrogated by the Panel.
Mr. Bojang replied  that he was not at the panel, but in another room, with
Cham, Sowe and some of  the accused persons. Mboge said. “I’m putting it to you
that, you were not  present at the time Yaya gave his statement, because it
was taken in the middle  of the night, you are only called in the morning to
come and sign.” The witness  maintained that he was present. Counsel Mboge
finally put it to him that he is a  state agent and is being paid for that. He
replied that he has not been paid,  but that he is a good citizen.
CAPTAIN YAYA DARBOE’S  TESTIMONY
Captain Yaya Darboe has testified in the ongoing court martial at  Yundum
Barracks.
In his testimony, Darboe told the court that he was arrested  on 21st March
and whisked away to Mile Two Central Prison. He said he was  arrested at his
residence at Bursubi. He said when they arrived at Mile Two  Central Prison, he
was taken to the conference room where he was undressed and  searched. He said
he was led into a cell which was locked by the officers. He  said before his
the soldiers left, he had asked them where he was going to  sleep, and they
pointed to a concrete slab and said that is his bed. He noted  that he slept
peacefully that night without a mosquito coil, blanket or a  mattress.
“It was on 22nd March around midnight, when I was almost sleeping,
Lieutenant Colley entered the security wing with some officers. I don’t know the
officers. They were all armed and some of them were dressed in military  camouflage
and some in black. The armed officers in camouflage had AK 47 and  those in
black had Propel Grenade Launchers (PGL). My cell was opened. He  (Colley)
asked me to follow them. I was not told any reason why I should follow  them. When
we reached the conference room of the prisons, that was the time I  was told,
I was going to the NIA to answer some questions. I was handed over to  those
soldiers in black-black. They handcuffed me and asked me to join a black
Toyota pick up. I joined and we headed for the NIA office. I was scared when I
was asked to join them (soldiers), because that is the first time I saw that
type of uniform (black) in The Gambia,” he remarked.
He said while they were  going to the NIA, he was insulted and beaten by the
escorts.
Darboe said,  “Some of them said you young boys came to the army recently and
you were given  ranks, and you want to over throw the government.” The driver
said “Don’t finish  the chop, wait until I join you.” I was being referred
to as the food. At the  NIA, one tough guy in black uniform signaled me to
follow him. He led me  outside. There are two flower beds there. There I met
somebody who called  himself Hell Manger and he said ‘Yaya Darboe, welcome to hell
fire’. He asked me  to kneel down. I was surrounded by eight men in black
uniform. I was still in  handcuff. The Hell Manager knelt down and said he was
going to teach me the  rules of hell fire. He said you have to obey what the Hell
Manager tells you if  you want to go out of that place. He said from that
hell fire, you are going to  charity house. Before he proceeded to the next rule,
one Lieutenant Musa Jammeh  intervened and said Darboe Kunda, and I said
Jammeh Kunda. Then he said ‘I know  you very well.’ Because of that I did not
want you to suffer a lot. Musa Jammeh  asked me to follow the procedure so that I
can go free. I said ‘you know me. I  am not part of the alleged coup plot.’
He said ‘wait, wait He said ‘I know you  are part of this thing. All am
interested in now is for you to give me the names  of all those who are involved
and you go free.’ I never accepted to be part of  the coup plot. As this was
happening, I heard a knock on my left eye. I fell  down unconscious for about 10
seconds. The only thing I could feel was stick  raining on all parts of my
body. Then Lieutenant Jammeh intervened and I was  asked to sit down. Then my eye
started bleeding. All this was to get the  statement they wanted from me.
After thirty minutes of torture, I asked them to  give me time to tell them what
they wanted. Then one of them who understood my  language said I should not
joke with them. The torture lasted for one hour  thirty minutes. Then one of
them said “Tomorrow you are going to come and give a  statement” I gave them a
story since they controlled me. They wanted me to say  that I am part of the
coup. They pin pointed certain parts of the story which  they were not happy
with. My eye bled for about thirty minutes. Musa intervened  and asked me further
questions. There was a man standing near me with a yellow  bag. I could hear
that man whispering to Musa, and Musa said “No need.” Darboe  remarked.
He further told the court that one of the interviewers had  indicated that he
(Darboe) should be ready for burial. He said about five sticks  rained on his
body.
He said at this juncture, the Hell Manager asked the  others to start the
burial (the beating). He noted that they beat him at that  stage, adding that the
beating was painful.
“They were using branches of a  palm tree to beat me. The pain was too much
and I started screaming. Any time I  screamed too loud, the Hell Manager took
sand and put it into my mouth. I  spitted the first part of the sand out. The
Hell Manager asked those beating me  to stop and he cautioned me. He asked me
why I am throwing the sand out. I told  him, I throw it because it is sand.
Then he said you have no choice of food in  hell. I tried to explain. I said this
is not food. He said don’t play with me.  The sand should not come out again.’
 The burial (beating) started again. The  branches of the palm tree were
broken and it could not be used for beating any  more and so they said the burial
is over. Then the Hell Manager said I should  prepare to go to the charity
house. Then he brought about five cables. You have  to crawl or roll from hell
fire to charity house,” he pointed out.
He said he  was at this juncture told that the cables would be used to beat
him and the  faster he reached charity house, the better for him. He said he
rolled to  charity house while his hands were still in handcuff. He said he was
struck with  a bundle of cables while he was rolling to charity house. He
alleged that the  beating stopped when he reached charity house. He noted that two
of the men  brought a concrete block and put it on his back while he was
lying on the  ground.
He said the purpose of the beating was for him to say what they  wanted from
him.
“They wanted my statement to conform with the statements of  Captain Saikou
Seckan and Captain Bunja Darboe’ he told the court.
He said  they later lifted the block from his back and put it aside. He said
the Hell  Manager had told him that he is going to make a statement and if he
deviates  from what he told them, the lessons meted out to Pharing Sanyang and
Wassa  Camara will be meted out to him. He said he spent about one hour,
forty five  minutes at the NIA before he was taken back to the Prison.
He said the  following day he was put on board, a vehicle and taken to the
NIA. He said at  the NIA office, he was led into a room where he met the
investigators. He said  the table in the room had blood stains and a hammer. He said
he had told the  investigators that he has not discussed a coup plot with
anybody. He said he  later entered a room with Abdoulie Sowe where his statement
was taken. He said  the independent witness, Tijan Bojang, entered the room
after he had written and  signed his statement. He further indicated that Tijan
Bojang also signed the  statement.
He said he was tortured on the 6th and 7th April 2006.
“This  time with Captain Bunja Darboe. We were all tortured at the same time.
I was  taken for treatment at the eye clinic at RVTH on 21st of April. I was
asked to  go back on 24th April,” he remarked.
He pointed out that his medical papers  were given to the Medic Officer at
the prisons. He said on 26th March, they were  taken to the NIA so that their
statements would be recorded by GRTS television.  He said while at the NIA on
26th March, Sowe asked him to add words like, “I  will lay an ambush. I will
demolish any plane that land and I will deal with any  person who wants to
interfere with the operation” to his statement.
During  cross examination, Captain Darboe told the Prosecutor, Fagbenle, that
he did not  see Lieutenant Colley at the NIA. He denied Fagbenleh’s claim
that Abdoulie Sowe  read a cautionary statement to him. He also told the court
that Abdoulie Sowe  did not force him to make a statement. He said he dated his
statement because  Sowe asked him to do so. Fagbenle put it to Darboe that
there is no office at  the NIA called hell. Darboe replied that he did not enter
any office called  hell. Fagbenle put it to him that there is no officer at
the NIA called Hell  Manager. Darboe replied that he did not say that Hell
Manager is an NIA officer.  Asked by Fagbenle whether the arms he talked about are
official arms, the  witness replied in the positive. He said he has been
seeing those arms and is  familiar with them. He said the people who tortured him
are different from those  who were at the investigating panel.

APRC SUPPORTER IN THE  DOCK
By Modou Jonga

The trial involving an APRC supporter Alimamo Gibba accused of assaulting
one Oli Touray, a supporter of the United Democratic Party has been adjourned to
 2nd November 2006 by the Brikama Magistrate Court.
On Tuesday 17th October,  2006, the Police Prosecutor 1831 Sanyang applied
for an adjournment following  the absence of the complainant. The alleged
assault was said to be committed on  May 15th 2006 at Pirang village following the
announcement of the results of the  Kombo East By-election. A stone was
allegedly thrown by the accused which hit  the complainant on her forehead, and, as a
result injured her.

BABY  NEEDS URGENT SUREGERY
By Bubacarr K. Sowe

Fatoumata Tunkara, the daughter of Suntukung Tunkara has been diagnosed  with
hydrocephalus at Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital (RVTH) since  June.
Fatoumata, who is recommended to undergo a ventroculo peritoneal shunt
surgery in Dakar, could not undergo the operation due to her parents  povert.
Meanwhile, the parents are requesting for assistance towards the  treatment
of their daughter.
“Fatoumata has been very sick and admitted at  the RVTH. After undergoing
treatment for a reasonable length of time with no  significant improvement, the
doctor decided to refer the case for further  diagnosis to Dakar.” The helpless
parents are requesting for assistance, to save  the life of Fatoumara Tunkara.
You can contact the father, Suntukung Tunkara  on 7060820.

PA SALLAH JENG’S CASE SUFFERS SETACK
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe

The trial of Mayor Pa Sallah Jeng has been deferred due to the absence of
the third prosecution witness, Abdul Othmam.
It was adjourned by Justice  Monageng to the 2nd of November.
Mr. Jeng is charged with six counts of  criminal offences. He was alleged to
have, interalia, illegally or dishonestly  received per diem payments at the
rate of 230 pounds over and above the official  allowance of 100 pounds per day
and thereby caused financial loss to the Banjul  City Council (BCC); to have
internationally single sourced and directed the  purchase of three compactors
to the tune of D1,500, 000 in violation of Section  45 of The Gambia Public
Procurement Act and Section 12 of The Gambia Public  Procurement Regulations to
the detriment of the economy of The Gambia; that in  abuse of authority of his
office, he personally single sourced and forcefully  directed the BCC to pay
the sum of D50, 000 for a second hand 25 KVA generator,  already installed at
BCC premises without the required approval. Jeng has denied  all the six
counts of criminal charges preferred against  him.

IN BRITON MURDER TRIAL
BAIL APPLICATION DENIED
By  Modou Jonga

The murder trial involving Kate Afori and others resumed on Tuesday 17th
October 2006 at the Brikama Magistrate’s Court. The four Nigerians were accused
of killing Mr. William West, a British national in Sanyang Village in the
month  of June.
In their first appearance in court, the widow, Mrs. Kate Afori West  pleaded
guilty to the murder charge preferred against her while the three  Nigerians,
Favour Akponegbeta Abokou, Idriss Masade and David Bathran pleaded  not guilty
to the murder charge.
1831 Sanyang held brief for the prosecutor  ASP Tijan Badjie.
In the opening of the trial, Lawyer Mbye said he is asking  the court to
accelerate the hearing of the criminal matter. Lawyer Mbye based it  on a motion
dated 3rd October 2006 supported by an affidavit sworn to and signed  by the
fourth accused. Lawyer Mbye urged the court to exercise its power and  duty to
make such further orders as the circumstances of the case demand and  deserve.
In conclusion, Lawyer Mbye applied for bail to be granted to the  accused
person, despite acknowledging that the offence under which his client  and
co-defendants were charged with is a capital offence. He further urged the  state to
provide evidence to the court on the alleged murder.
On his turn,  the counsel for the fourth accused Lawyer C.O Secka, said he is
in total  agreement with the submission made by Lawyer Mbye with regards to
the orders  sought. He further added that the matter is a criminal matter and
is a capital  offence under which bail is rarely granted. Lawyer Secka, however
lamented that  the liberty of the accused person is hanging on the balance
and proceeded to the  court to grant the orders sought including a speedy trial.
In his ruling,  Magistrate E.F. M’bai denied the bail application sought by
the counsel for the  second and the fourth accused persons respectively.
Meanwhile, the trial was  adjourned to Tuesday 31st October 2006.

D1.8 MILLION FRAUD  CASE
By Fabakary B. Ceesay

A woman alleged to have committed fraud was arraigned before principal
Magistrate Kebba Sanyang of the kanifing Magistrate Court on Wednesday 18th
October 2006.
Margaret C. Drammeh was accused of attempting to withdraw money  from an
account that does not belong to her. She is also alleged to have written  two (2)
letters to managers of two different banks. The banks are said to be the
Guaranty Trust Bank and Trust Bank. The state counsel indicated that the
defendant is charged with 114 counts.
The trial magistrate, Mr. Sanyang asked  the counsels to take a convenient
date so that all the counts can be properly  read out to the accused. “The
charges are too numerous to be mentioned today or  we will be here up to 17:00
hours,” he said. The defence counsel applied for the  accused to be granted bail.
Principal magistrate Sanyang granted her bail in the  sum of D1.8 million with
two Gambian sureties. The case is adjourned for further  hearing. The state
counsel was Marie Saine and defence, Lamin S.  Camara.

UDP SUPPORTER ATTACKED IN BRIKAMA
By Modou  Jonga

Reports have it that on Friday 13th October 2006, an electrician by
profession and a supporter of the United Democratic Party, Jerreh Samura, was
attacked by employees of the Brikama Area Council, for wearing a shirt bearing  the
symbols of the said party.
The said attack on Mr. Samura, which  eventually led to actual bodily harm
was reportedly started by the supervisor of  the cleansing service of the
Brikama Area Council, Mr. Jang Luwang Konteh last  week.
According to another electrician who was at the scene, Mr. Samura, the
assault on his colleague happened in the morning of Friday, when they were  ordered
by their boss to go and do some electrical works at the council. Mr.  Jabbi
said upon reaching the council, they were approached by the said cleansing
supervisor who reprimanded and ordered Mr. Samura out of the council for wearing
a shirt (which was worn under a shirt).
Mr. Samura is said to have complied  and was moving out of the Council
premises. The eye witness said Mr. Samura was  confronted at the gate of the Council
by Mr. Konteh who told him that “Politics  is over” and as such described
the wearing of the shirt as provocative to the  APRC Party; and that it should
not be won on the council’s premises. The  eyewitness said the other employees
joined the supervisor in assaulting Mr.  Samura. “After assaulting my
colleague,” stated the eyewitness, “he was taken to  the office of the Chief Security.
” In the course of the assault, the said shirt  was torn off. The eyewitness
said they were later ordered out of the office of  the Chief Security. Were
ordered out.
Speaking to this reporter, Mr. Lang  Marong, warned all employee of area
Council particularly the Brikama Area  councils, to desist from such dangerous
misconduct. Mr. Marong, further  described the attack on Mr. Samura, as a threat
to national peace and order and  urged the council to be mindful, since it is
the constitutional right of every  Gambian to show his/her support to any
political party.
“The council is to  serve the best interest of The Gambian people and not the
APRC party” he posited  meanwhile the Kombo Central UDP Youth President Lamin
Jatta, told this reporter  that his party is on the verge of taking the
attack on the colleague to court  but said their efforts are frustrated by the
Police.
When contacted, the  Chief Security of the council declined to comment.
Meanwhile, both the Public  Relation Officer and the Chief Executive could not be
reached for comment. The  relevant authorities in the council, when contacted
by this reporter said they  could not confirm story. These authorities included
the security Chief, Dembo  Jassey, and the Acting Chairman of the council
Ousman Gaye. When this reporter  told the Chairman that he was told that the
Public Relations Officer of the  council, Sergeant Modou Joof, had traveled, he
replied:
“This is news to me,  you just informing me about it.”

NADD FLAG BEARER ON THE  ELECTION

The APRC leadership capitalized on these prejudices against UDP to tell the
youths that if they vote for NADD they will be wasting their votes; that UDP
will take over the country. On the other hand, many who were bitterly against
Yahya also maintained that if they vote for NADD Yahya will win. When GRTS
broadcast the Buba Sanyang story, the APRC cashed on it to sow the seed of
doubt  regarding the legitimacy of my candidature. Hence the swing of the youth
vote to  Yahya and the apathy or protest displayed by others for not voting can
easily be  explained.
This swing of Gambian voters into apathy and tribal sentiments  makes it
difficult to explain the outcome of the results on the basis of  intimidation or
corrupt registration practices.
At the final phase of my  campaign I received reports of Mandinka speaking
youths and Jola speaking youths  being insulted by their parents in the foulest
of languages for not joining  tribal band wagons. Whenever I met UDP or APRC
convoys the youths will rush to  greet me with the usual statement “we love you”
. However, the sentiments of  their parents and tribal peers took control of
them.
This is why at the time  of my campaign I continued to emphasise that
Gambians can either be dictated by  tribal or other sentiments or by truth. If we are
dictated by truth it would set  us free. If we are dictated by sentiments we
will remain captives of our own  deeds.
Being a part of the living political history of the Gambia at its  moment of
happening compels me to rethink about the true nature of the people we  call
Gambians and my role as a servant aimed at promoting their liberty and
prosperity. Unlike Senegal where political leadership no longer hinges on
manipulating tribal notions to be in political office in the Gambia the canker  worm
called tribalism is alive and obstinate to the missiles of clarity and  civic
education. It concedes only to state power and selfish  interest.
Although, I have always subscribe to the view that it is the duty  of every
good citizen to be ready to die for his country and people I am no  longer sure
whether I have a people that are fully convinced that they are first  and
foremost a Gambian people. I am no longer sure whether I should join the  group
of representatives or the group of civic educators and help to shape a new
social consciousness that can shape the sovereign Gambian social being. A
purposeful life is a battle to be relevant. Is one relevant by pursuing a field  of
national duty where one is loved and disowned at the same time? How is one to
overcome such absurdity? It was common to hear the slogan in my constituency
Darboe for President, Yahya for President and Halifa for National Assembly.
The  president executes to solve problems. The national assembly merely points
out  the problems and the solutions but have no executive power to solve them.
Is it  not an irony to want Halifa in the National Assembly and not to
exercise  executive power to solve the problems?
What type of son and daughter does  this nation want? What type of service do
they want from them? What is the  demand of the current political situation?
Is NADD relevant? Should it  continue to exist? Should it perish? Should
opposition parties revisit their  strategies and tactics? Should they remain apart
or should they negotiate a  rapprochement  what is the way forward for  me?
   What is the way forward for NADD? What is the  way forward for Gambia?
These are questions I posed to NADD Executive. They are  questions I have posed
to myself? They are questions I am posing to every  Gambian? They require
honesty and objectivity to be answered.

CORE  INFLATION RISES TO 1.4%
By Bubacarr K. Sowe

Core Inflation, which excludes prices of energy and other food items, has
risen slightly to 1.4 percent compared to 1.3 percent in July 2005 said reports
from the Central Bank of The Gambia (CBG).
According to a report from the  Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC)
inflation remains low and non-volatile.  “End period inflation, measured by the
Consumer Price Index (CPI), was 1.4  percent in July 2006. The 3.6 percent
increase in non-food consumer price  inflation was offset by 0.1 percent decrease in
food prices,” say the MPC.
It  also say that revised projections indicated a balance of payments (BOP)
surplus  of D240 million (US$8 million) in 2006, but lower than the surplus of
D320.9  million (US$11.2 million) in 2005. This is reflected in the main
projected  decline in the capital account surplus and widening of the current
account  deficit.
“Gross International Reserve was estimated to increase by D168  million (US$
6.0 million) to D3 billion (US$99.2 million) against D2.7 billion  (US$ 93.7
million) in 2005. The Gambia is current on all its debt service  obligations,”
revealed the MPC.
The Committee added: “Domestic revenue  totaled D760.1 million in the second
quarter of 2006, higher than the target by  D3 million. This was mainly as a
result of buoyant tax revenue, which exceeded  the budget estimate by D61.5
million, net lending totaled D1.1 billion and was  below the ceiling by D78.2
million, or 7.1 percent. The overall budget deficit  (excluding grant) of D336.9
million, was lower than the budget estimate of  D418.1 million.”

PREPARATON FOR LOCUST INVASION
By Isatou  Bittaye

The Africa Emergency Locust Project is prepared for possible locust  invasion,
” said the Locust Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Mr. Shiekh Tijan
Sosseh.
He said that locusts are presently in Mauritania and there is a  possibility
that they may reach Senegal, if Mauritania cannot control them. He  said if it
reaches Senegal, The Gambia will be at risk of locust invasion. He  indicated
that the favourable conditions in Mauritania like rainfall, humidity  and
soil moisture make the locusts to lay their eggs there which hatch. Mr.  Sosseh
said the locusts affect the Sahelian countries in the sub-region and The
Gambia is an “invasion center.” He indicated that the team of the Africa
Emergency Locust Project is presently scouting for locusts and their aircraft is  also
prepared for any locust invasion. He indicated that research on Bio
pesticides locust control, like metarhezium and the barrier treatment is  ongoing. He
said that FAO has launched a new initiative to carry out trials  designed to
optimize barrier treatment. He further added that the chemical  pesticides used
in the last campaign in 2004 has affected the people according  to research
and now researchers have decided to use the Bio-pesticides treatment  which is
not harmful to human beings. He noted that the AELP will collaborate  with
NARI to check whether the Bio pesticides locust control will be effective  for
The Gambia. He urged the farmers and Gambians to be patient, noting that the
AELP is prepared for any locust invasion.

ALIEU JOBE AND  OTHERS IN COURT FOR TREASON
By Bubacarr K. Sowe

Tamsir Jassey, Alieu Jobe, Omar Keita (alias Omar Faal) and Hon. Demba Dem
were arraigned before Justice Avril Anin-Yeboah on Wednesday.
Mary Saine who  appeared for the state, told the court that the first
prosecution witness had  started giving his testimony, but did not finish before the
previous judge,  Justice Agim. Saine added that she is not aware that Lamin
Jobarteh and Lamin S.  Camara, defence counsels, have formally come back to the
case, since they  withdrew from it under Justice Agim.
Lawyer Camara admitted withdrawing from  the matter, but submitted that the
accused persons have a constitutional right  to be represented in court.
Mr. Jobarteh informed the court that when he  applied to withdraw from the
case, the then judge urged him to continue until  his clients secured a lawyer.
He submitted that the charges against his  clients should be amended or
struck out since they were jointly charged with  others.
He said that he would object to the continuation of the case under  the new
judge and argued for it to start afresh.
Jobarteh also objected to  the continuation because the testimony of the
state witness is not available to  him.
In her ruling, Justice Anin-Yeboah said the matter will proceed since it  is
not before a different court. “It is the same constituted High Court,” she
said. Justice Anin Yaboah added that the lawyers who wish to resume defending
the accused persons should forward a formal application. On the charge sheet,
she ruled that the court is satisfied with it because it is in order.
The  matter will continue on the 25th and 26th of October.

HOSPITAL PRO  ARRESTED
By Yaya Dampha

Reports reaching this reporter have it that Nuha Jawara, the Public  Relation
Officer (PRO) at Bansang Hospital was on Tuesday morning, 10th October
whisked away from his family and relatives.
It is said that one Jibel Jabbi  wrote a letter and addressed it to the
Commander of the Kudang Army Camp  alleging that Nuha Jawara and Mr. Touray planned
to attack the Kudang barracks  because the election results were not fair and
transparent. The letter also  alleged that Nuha Jawara used his motorbike to
get to the rural people telling  them not to vote for APRC. The alleged letter
was given to one Morro Jabbi who  dropped it in Farafenni on the evening of
Monday 9th October 2006. The Security  forces were said to be uncomfortable
when they heard that two civilians were  engaged in subversive activities.
The two suspects were allegedly arrested  and taken to an unknown detention
center. Further investigation revealed that  they were first taken to Kudang
and later moved to Farafenni Army barracks.
When contacted, the GAF Public Relations Officer (PRO) Captain Lamin Gano
confirmed that Messrs Jawara and Touray were arrested by soldiers when they got
Jibel Jabbie’s letter. He said that upon their arrest they were taken to
Farafenni Barracks and then to Fajara Barracks.
PRO Gano however, stated that  after their investigation they realised that
the information was not true. He  clearly stated that the said Mr. Jibel Jabbie
who reported these two people did  it out of spite in order to settle scores
with Mr. Jawara. The army has referred  the matter to the NIA who decided to
arrest Mr. Jabbie for lying against the  hospital PRO and his friend. At the
time of going to press, they were all  detained at the NIA Office in Banjul.