GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:19:05 EDT

U.S. seal Ryder Cup for first time since 1999
For full story visit:
_http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSCOO16132920080921_ (http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSCOO16132920080921)

     (javascript:launchArticleSlideshow();)

By Mark Lamport-Stokes
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (Reuters) - An upbeat United States team inspired by
rookie Anthony Kim won the Ryder Cup for the first time in nine years on Sunday,
 beating Europe by 16-1/2 points to 11-1/2.
Kim crushed Sergio Garcia 5&4 in the top encounter to set the tone for  the
Americans before Jim Furyk secured the decisive point with a 2&1 victory  over
Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez at a sun-drenched Valhalla Golf  Club.
It was Europe's heaviest defeat since they were pummeled 18-1/2 to 9-1/2 at
Walton Heath in 1981, and ended a run of three successive victories in the
biennial team competition, the last two by lopsided margins.
"My players poured their heart and soul into it this week," an emotional U.S.
 captain Paul Azinger said in a television interview beside the 17th  green.
"They played great, the crowd was unbelievable and I couldn't be  happier.
"You know, they brought themselves there and if I was the guy that helped
organise it, then I'm happy to be that," he added, referring to his players.
"But those guys did it. They deserve the credit."
Azinger was hugged by his opposite number Nick Faldo after Furyk was conceded
 a short par putt by Jimenez at the 17th to give the Americans the 14-1/2
points  needed for victory.
"Congratulations to Paul," Faldo said. "Twenty-four guys have given their
hearts and souls in this event and Europe has come up short but the golf was
fantastic.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい