GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:05:49 EDT
Ebrima,
I will find time to watch the games especially the sprints and hopefully the
soccer if the Yanks show the game on their big networks.  I am a bit worried
by the level of soccer the African Olympic representatives have shown.  Nigeri
a got thrashed twice by the South Korean soccer side last week.  Though my
Nigerian friends say that the losses were part of a deceptive strategy.
Morocco and South Africa are light weights.  Our only truly strong
representative is Cameroon, and I expect some great things from them.

On the Maurice Greene Vs rest of the World match-up, mark my words, it will
be no contest in favor of Greeene.  Marion Jones should also win the 100
dash.  But she will surely get a run for her money from Perec of France and
the Freeman of Australia in the 200 meter dash.  it is quite unfortunate that
neither Greene nor Johnson could make the 200 dash after they both pulled up
with muscle strains in the qualifier.  A strange but oddly comical sight to
behold.  The press talked so much about the matchup that they ended jinxing
the two of them.  However, no fear, the American team should still win gold
in the 200 plus swwep the rest of the sprints.

 America has the best sprinters the world has to offer not because of any
superior traits, but due to the fact that they get picked very  young and
then go through some of the best training in the best environments anyone can
offer.  You see, its all about picking them young.  In fact, was in Las Vegas
last week discussing the success of the French soccer team with a good friend
of mine who went to school in France for a while.  He pointed out that the
secret behind their soccer success lies in the youth system.  Players like
Zidane were recognized as talents at a very young age.  So once taken out of
their environments and placed in the best environment for the development of
their skills, they excelled at the game.  This same philosophy can be applied
to all other good endeavors in life.  Many have benefited, including your's
truly.

I predict that the Americans will again win the biggest share of the medals.
They will excel in basket ball, swimming, track and field and some of the
more obscure sports.  On my point about picking them young, no where will it
be more obvious than swimming where 14 and 15 year old girls will break World
records and win gold medals.

Africa will hopefully get a decent share of the medal count.  The prospects
for medals among the men sprinters seem quite slim.  Maybe the Nigerians will
steal one or two. The long distance events on the other hand are there for
the taking.  The battle in the 1500 meters between Noah Ngeny and the great
El Gerrouj should be fun to watch. While Kipketer of Denmark (BTW, I still
consider him Kenyan) should win the 800 meters.  The great Ethiopian (help me
with his name) is a sure lock for the 5000 and 10000.  The women should do
well also.  Mary Mutola might win the 800 meters and a few additional medals
should be gained in other events. On an added note, I hope that Gambian team
can beat the impossible odds and win one.  The country needs a morale booster.

Check yourr schedules and set the good old VCRs, the olympic flame should be
aflame at Sydney stadium next week.