GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:08:50 -0400
Landing,
You do not need to know Shyngle Nyassi or subscribe to his political belief
to be sickened by what is happening to him and his family. Personally, I
believe that the authorities could have done better in handling this case.
It was only a few days ago the government successfully fought in court a
motion demanding Mr. Nyassi's immediate release. The judge cited that those
who filed the motion are not Mr. Nyassi's family and as a result the court
has no jurisdiction. While that decision may be perfectly legal, I find it a
serious waste of court time and resources if the government would fight
demand for Mr. Nyassi's release in court when infact he was not in their
custody.

Malanding Jaiteh